What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frank Farina tells NRL, AFL told to grow up over Cup bid

TimmyB

Juniors
Surprised people think Farina is right. I think what he's said is incredibly disrespectful and to be honest, wide of the mark. It is not fear of the unknown. It is fear of the damage that could be done to the codes if they are forced to put their seasons on hold. I can't fathom how anybody could deem it unreasonable for the NRL & AFL to be concerned about the potential effects upon their codes.

Gaba

First Grade
Gaba, we're all league heads on this forum but a lot of us like other sports too. I'll go to any WC game I'm lucky enough to get a ticket to.
Yes you may like soccer but i dont think many people who arent soccer lovers going to go to a boring game , because itsa the world cup.

If the league or any other code is going on the same time those people would go to those games rather that a game of soccer

Thats what the soccer wc is afraid of they will lose crowds to rival competitions

Last edited:
Surprised people think Farina is right. I think what he's said is incredibly disrespectful and to be honest, wide of the mark. It is not fear of the unknown. It is fear of the damage that could be done to the codes if they are forced to put their seasons on hold. I can't fathom how anybody could deem it unreasonable for the NRL & AFL to be concerned about the potential effects upon their codes.

I don't think anybody on here does.

Fui!!!

Juniors
Then it wouldnt need rivals code to stop competing then if its that big, In Australia it would struggle to get crowds if other competitions are going on at the same time.

so the soccer wc is not as big as you think why fiffa doesnt want other competitons to compete

Not true. The NRL does NOT have to stop. They just can't use the world cup stadiums.

Yes you may like soccer but i dont think many people who arent soccer lovers going to go to a boring game , because itsa the world cup.

If the league or any other code is going on the same time those people would go to those games rather that a game of soccer

Thats what the soccer wc is afraid of they will lose crowds to rival competitions

I don't like athletics but went to the Olympics as it was a once in a lifetime event. I basically paid 90 bucks to watch spear chuck'n'.

Don't forget that RL is spread from Friday to Monday. People would go to both if possible.

Pass the Ball

Juniors
The tiny minds in this thread are hilarious..

There will be plenty of dough to go around..(For little NRL and little AFL)

Just the final will have 100000 people paying an average of $500 a seat..

That's half a billion bucks..For one game..(not true -wrong-wrong) Thanks Digga Hole..

Of coarse FIFA will want to keep as much as possible to keep their corrupt ways in business..

Coke, McDonalds and Samsung are probably paying that much each to FIFA for being associated with the WC in South Africa..(Not verified)..

Frank may be a d!ck..but the truth shouldn't hurt that much..

Flame away..

Last edited:

Digga Hole

Juniors
The tiny minds in this thread are hilarious..

There will be plenty of dough to go around..(For little NRL and little AFL)

Just the final will have 100000 people paying an average of $500 a seat..

That's half a billion bucks..For one game..

You might want to check that calculator champ.

LESStar58

Referee
It's a fuss over nothing I reckon. We wont get the World Cup and even if we do it's still too far away to worry about.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I thinkk wc would be great for nrl and bad for afl. Once complete the square stadiums will be many.

andrew123

Juniors
wow some nrl lovers are so narrow minded.

do you not realise how big the soccer WC up. it will bring tonnes of revenue, tourism etc.

all this talk of how it is trying to "kill off" nrl and afl is a joke. its postponing for what, 8 weeks, which is nothing compared to the importance and fame of the soccer WC.

ffs i would vote even to not have nrl of afl for a whole season if it meant bringing the soccer WC to Australia.

adamkungl

Immortal
do you not realise how big the soccer WC up. it will bring tonnes of revenue, tourism etc.

You do not realise how little a lot of non-soccer fans care. The only reason I could give two sh*ts about it is if the NRL profits with stadium upgrades.

andrew123

Juniors
You do not realise how little a lot of non-soccer fans care. The only reason I could give two sh*ts about it is if the NRL profits with stadium upgrades.

so what? roughly 10 million league fans worldwide versus 1 billion+ soccer fans

bobbis

Juniors
There's a lot of paranoid people. The AFL and NRL don't have to close down for the 8 weeks, they just have to vacate 12 or so stadiums. Other than the benefit to the economy this will also mean upgraded stadiums. For instance Suncorp might go to 60000 and ANZ to 90000, these stadiums and others probably won't be upgraded unless the WC comes here, possibly a whole new stadium in Western Sydney. Governments are notoriously frugal with stadiums and loathed to upgrade them, this WC will means upgrades we'd almost never get. The NRL should be using this to make sure it gets the best deal, ie its stadiums upgraded and not the AFL's. There will presumably be compensation.

In the 8 weeks the WC is up they could take 4 weeks off when its on and tour Europe or simply have a rest. Or they can play through and use smaller venues, country venues and NZ venues. In the 4 weeks leading up while the big stadiums are closed why not play in places that never get NRL games. For example play the Cowboys in Cairns, Broncos in Ballymore or Toowoomba or Rockhampton etc. Play games in Wagga Wagga etc. Host a whole round in NZ etc. Its the end of the world only if you can't think outside the box.

Put it this way FIFA will pay to upgrade our stadiums and pay us to take games to the bush and expansion areas like NZ, all for an at worst 4 week lay off in the competition.

There's no need to copy the insular attitude of Victoria and cry when a new sport comes to town.

Jankuloski

Juniors
f**k me, I've seen more people bitching about insular NRL fans than I've seen insular NRL fans.

Besides making me lmao, mac hit it:
Frank Farrina should write a book called How To Win Friends And Influence People.

A little f**king respect wouldn't kill anyone. FFA should acknowledge that the NRL season is what's important to the NRL and work for a way to meet an agreement. If you already have billions of dollars, you will pay meer 100 mil compensation that the NRL will lose for those 8 weeks, and everything will be fine.

And all the clubs should bitch and moan to their govs about not needing the bigger stadium the way Cows are, so their upkeep doesn't rise. It's business sense, and the NRL still has to run its business even if a religious event such as WC comes to town.

Pass the Ball

Juniors
Another clever post..

Say no to the expansion and redevelopment of stadiums around australia..

It's like the Water Polo and Croquet saying the State of Origin is disrupting their season in NSW & Qld..Please stop it..