What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frank Pritchard wanting out of Penrith

Chachi

Bench
If true, that's pretty poor form from another of their senior players, although you can't really blame him after the shafting a lot of his buddies are getting.

I thought some of Canberra's off-field dramas were bad last year - but this is like watching a train crash. Not a good for the NRL or for rugby league in one of our strongest regions.

Surely heads will roll over this fiasco.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Mixmasterreece said:
I wonder how long it will be until Michael Jennings asks for a release. I'm sure he'll tire of playing in that backline next year

Hopefully never, i want him to be a Panther for life.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Some interesting snippets from today's online comment by the Panthers CEO:

Matt and Mick Leary have both said it publicly: some of our senior players have not been pulling their weight. We’ve brought up a number of juniors to the top grade, and they have done well under the circumstances. But we need the seniors to fire up, too...

...Getting back to change for a moment, I note there has also been some anguish about the new structures that Matt Elliott has brought with him. People say they aren’t working.

But similar structures are working for a number of NRL teams, including the Melbourne Storm; and our Premier League and Jersey Flegg teams are doing well under them, too.

In fact, all our teams from the Under 16s up are using the same structures and techniques and as a result we are in a very strong position as a club, currently leading the Club Championship, which includes lower grades.

I believe this proves that it isn’t the structures that are the problem, rather the inability or unwillingness of some players to embrace or adapt to the changes.

http://www.panthers.com.au/default.aspx?id=850

That's a big call. The Panthers are putting a lot of faith in Elliott's particular 'structures'. They never delivered a premiership for our young talent, why will they for the Panthers?

Black Majik

Juniors
This is tiring!

From Panthers own web site:

Jul 11- Panthers CEO Glenn Matthews says the club will make whatever changes are necessary to ensure long-term success.

Glenn, writing in his July CEO's Column, tells supporters that the 1st Grade side's performance so far this year, and some changes in the playing roster, had caused "a lot of anxiety in Pantherland - not only amongst supporters but also within the club.

"I apologise to supporters for causing them concern, but not for the changes."

Commenting on media reports of a crisis in the club, Glenn writes: "There is no crisis.

"But there is a lot of concern. And we'll continue to make whatever changes are required to ensure our long-term success."

You can read Glenn's full column here.

Earlier today, General Manager Rugby League, Michael Leary had a meeting with players to discuss various rumours that have been circulating about other players leaving the club.

He told them specifically that Frank Pritchard, Trent Waterhouse and Rhys Wesser would not be going anywhere. "I want you to know this - and I want an end to these baseless rumours," he said

You want to read the whole story: http://www.panthers.com.au/default.aspx?id=850

I doubt many of you will...

Mr Saab

Referee
smeghead said:
Mick Leary has the credibility and business nouse of a Fairstar computers advetisement

I prefered this one :

"Up the Windsor Road from Baulkham Hills, and let me do it right for
y-o-o-o-o-o-o-u" .

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: I recall that when Penrith signed Matt Elliott i said it would be the biggest mistake the club ever made and that fans would absolute dispise him with time... :lol: sometimes i hate being right, this is not one of them.

Priddis, Puletua, Gower, Wesser, Pritchard, Wallace, Clinton, Waterhouse... deadset they are going to be bloody ordinary next year... I will piss myself when Todd Carney re-signs with the Raiders, Penrith will be left with f**king no one...

If Jennings and Gordon we're smart, they'd get off the sinking ship ASAP

Iafeta

Referee
Ditto the people saying for Frankie to come back to his ancestoral homeland, we'd have him at the Warriors any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

legend

Coach
Conversely, as much as I disline Elliott here is my two cents on the situation at Penrith.

Elliott was hired to clean the place out and start again so management could have someone take the heat for what would be viewed as unfavourable decisions. Elliott is not afraid to do this and has started wielding the axe.

With the introduction of the Under 20's, there are going to be some excellent fringe first graders around who will need a club and play for bottom dollar. Guys like Rothery and Hinchcliffe at Canberra would be in Elliott's sights because they can play first grade and wouldn't cost the earth. Elliott will then train these players with his methods and re-build the Panthers from the ground up without any dissenters in the ranks.

I would bet my house this is what the plan out at Penrith is.

I'll find out about Prichard tonight when I speak to his wife about the whole deal out at Penrith.

Black Majik

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
:lol: I recall that when Penrith signed Matt Elliott i said it would be the biggest mistake the club ever made and that fans would absolute dispise him with time... :lol: sometimes i hate being right, this is not one of them.

Priddis, Puletua, Gower, Wesser, Pritchard, Wallace, Clinton, Waterhouse... deadset they are going to be bloody ordinary next year... I will piss myself when Todd Carney re-signs with the Raiders, Penrith will be left with f**king no one...

If Jennings and Gordon we're smart, they'd get off the sinking ship ASAP

You're obviously not smart enough to read facts rather relying on your own twist of fiction.

WHO WANTS CARNEY ANYWAY? :lol:

I really don't get what Panthers management are trying to do here. Sure I can get the logic of wanting to let certain overpaid and underperforming players go, but there isn't anyone to really replace them and I think they'd have been better off to let them just see out their contracts and then move on. Surely dumping a bunch of the senior players and making it clear they aren't wanted will destabilise the club. It's no surprise someone like Pritchard may want to leave with all the senior guys going and I'd be surprised if terribly many people would be keen to join the club.

The bottom line is that I think a good coach should surely have faith in his ability to integrate different types of players into his game plan. The fact that he seems to be giving up on a bunch of senior and talented players after less than a year in charge seems to indicate that he can't cope with different types of players at all.

Raider_69

Post Whore
You're club for one, and i imagine a fair few other clubs would have a crack at him if he is still unsigned this time next year... and if word around the traps at penrith (where i live) is anything to go by, the Panthers are absolutely sweating on him, im hearing they will be tabling an absolutely massive contract at him (by that i mean huge in terms of where is game is atm)

ive herd its the reason they didnt want much to with P.Wallace

RainMan

Juniors
So was the $1.2 million warchest being sprouted around in the papers a while ago, before or after all these players leave? Was someone thinking too far ahead and talking out loud?

Ice777

Bench
Not sure if this is just damage control but he seems pretty adament.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22056004-23214,00.html

Panthers hold onto star trio

July 11, 2007
PENRITH Panthers general manager Mick Leary has confirmed second rower Frank Pritchard, fullback Rhys Wesser and lock Trent Waterhouse are staying at the NRL club.

The trio were believed to be on their way out of the Panthers but Leary called a meeting with the whole team this morning to ease concerns over their playing futures.
"They're going nowhere," Leary said today.

"I had a talk to them because all these rumours and innuendos were about but as far as we're concerned they'll be here."Last week the Panthers offered co-captains Luke Priddis and Tony Puletua releases, while the club had already lost halves Craig Gower, Terry

Wallace and prop Joel Clinton for 2008.Priddis said he was shocked when he was told the Panthers no longer wanted him, but Leary said the club was sticking by its decision.
"Nothing's changed in that situation. It's a decision that's been made and we'll leave it at that," Leary said.

Black Majik

Juniors
At least there are quotes from Leary Ice777.

I would have a little more faith in this story over the previous one.

Black Majik

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
You're club for one, and i imagine a fair few other clubs would have a crack at him if he is still unsigned this time next year... and if word around the traps at penrith (where i live) is anything to go by, the Panthers are absolutely sweating on him, im hearing they will be tabling an absolutely massive contract at him (by that i mean huge in terms of where is game is atm)

ive herd its the reason they didnt want much to with P.Wallace

I have heard they are allowing Williams a free rover role for the remainder of the season and depending on the result will go hard for a half that compliments his attacking style.

Carney isn't that player.

Just what I have heard.

Latest posts