What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Onion want Thurston

Teddyboy

First Grade
Where the phukk have the french been for all these years...

Why all of the sudden are they making noise for NRL players.

Maybe the french know they did a bad thing by leaving Rugby League and this is there way of saying sorry.

Always liked the french in Union as like the All-Blacks there played with flair maybe because League did have an influance.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Where the phukk have the french been for all these years...

Why all of the sudden are they making noise for NRL players.

The Warratahs' old coach is coaching some random french team, hence bringing over the ARU's plan of poaching league players.

Maybe this will be the start of ammendments to the rules on 3rd party deals.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I find it very funy that the main Union stories can't get media inches unles it involves a RL player!

Twigg

Juniors
Whenever I see the Yawnion section in the paper (which is sadly sometimes before the NRL section in the papers) there is always at least one article mentioning which league players should they capture next.

Thomas

First Grade
The Warratahs' old coach is coaching some random french team, hence bringing over the ARU's plan of poaching league players.

No.

The article said he was "approached" last year.

The Waratahs coach was still the Waratahs coach then and hadn't been fired.

There goes your theory.

I highly doubt Thurston was "approached" at all. Sounds like a manager beat up.

Calixte

First Grade
Interesting convergence of circumstances.

The code most associated with Vichy recruiting an indigenous player from Australia - that group of people almost excluded from the history of Australian rugby union.

(And spare me the crap about three brothers from a league background in La Perouse...)

Poul

Juniors
a transfer fee would only work if they were still contracted to a club when they leave.

the thing most RL fans need to understand is these french clubs arent going for old guys anymore. there paying the big bucks for established players with plenty of good football left in them.

Yes, if players were still contracted to NRL clubs they could be "sold off" to French yawnion, and have the remainder of their NRL contract paid out.

Whilst I would agree that Mark Gasnier and Luke Rooney aren't exactly old, I think both of them have already played their best football, and the only way from there is .... down. And Craig Gower, a superstar in French yawnion, at the age of ....... 30.:lol:.
The only player that I can think of who has gone over to the dark side before achieving his potential as a footballer would be Lote Tuqiri. And I believe this is why he is so desparate to be able to play Rugby League again, before it is too late, otherwise he realises that he will never get the chance to be the best that he can be.

Calixte

First Grade
Yes, if players were still contracted to NRL clubs they could be "sold off" to French yawnion, and have the remainder of their NRL contract paid out.

Whilst I would agree that Mark Gasnier and Luke Rooney aren't exactly old, I think both of them have already played their best football, and the only way from there is .... down. And Craig Gower, a superstar in French yawnion, at the age of ....... 30.:lol:.
The only player that I can think of who has gone over to the dark side before achieving his potential as a footballer would be Lote Tuqiri. And I believe this is why he is so desparate to be able to play Rugby League again, before it is too late, otherwise he realises that he will never get the chance to be the best that he can be.

Tuqiri better get out of union quickly if he wants any hope of ever playing rep rugby league again. The longer he stays, the more his skills diminish...

krudmonk

Juniors
So, perhaps players who are approaching the ends of their careers, u.t. Darren Lockyer,(of course if he wanted to) could be offered up to French yawnion, for a massive "transfer" fee, which could be poured back into the coffers of the club (i.e. Broncos), to help develop the next "Lockyer",and also the NRL, to increase the salary cap for each club.
It would be near impossible to set up a proper transfer agreement between two different sports.

Teddyboy

First Grade
We should be lapping up the histroy and survival of Rugby Leagues 100 year party yet these year has been sh*t for the sport.

Thomas

First Grade

Lote hadn't achieved his potential in RL?

He's won a premiership...a State of Origin series and would have won a RLWC if he wasn't playing for Fiji as their captain.

He'd pretty much done it all in RL when he switched to RU.

Le Gaz on the otherhand.......

The Tank

Bench
Lote hadn't achieved his potential in RL?

He's won a premiership...a State of Origin series and would have won a RLWC if he wasn't playing for Fiji as their captain.

He'd pretty much done it all in RL when he switched to RU.

Le Gaz on the otherhand.......

Perhaps you cannot read. He said "potential as a footballer" not achievements in RL.

Shorty

Staff member
If he wants to go,let him go.
The type of player Thurston is he'd be bored sh*tless with the amount of challenge and opportunity there.
No Origin,no Aussie jumper to retain and fight for.

And I really think once they go they can f**k off for good,so that eventually when this sport is starting to be treated with it's worth,they can watch from their boring dreary sidelines.

Calixte

First Grade
Perhaps you cannot read. He said "potential as a footballer" not achievements in RL.

He was too busy carting the ball up for the rah rah. :lol:

Then going to ground and giving away a scrum; re-pack; re-pack; penalty; kick to touch; lineout; penalty; kick to touch; lineout; scrum; re-pack; re-pack; re-pack; penalty; kick to touch; lineout; penalty; kick to touch...