What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fui

Pazza

First Grade
Cayless isnt a second rower. He was tried there under smith and it didnt work. He is still playing decent footy up front.

when Cayless was put into the second row we didnt have props to the calibre of Poore and Fui. Plus backed up by Mannah and Shacks.

caylo

Bench
when Cayless was put into the second row we didnt have props to the calibre of Poore and Fui. Plus backed up by Mannah and Shacks.

That is true but why have Cayless in the backrow when Shack is more of a backrower anyway... doesnt make too much sense.

I would prefer Mannah on with one of Fui, Poore and Cayless for teh whole game. If we started with all 3 players they would all go off between 20-25min mark and Mannah would be on the field with a possible pack of:

Mannah
Keating
Shakelton
Hindmarsh
B.Smith
Mateo

That is a very light weight pack and it would be noticed almost immediatly, I would prefer to start with Poore and Cayless and then have Mannah on with Fui leaving the pack looking like

Mannah
Keating
Fui
Hindmarsh
Shakelton/B.Smith (depending what time he comes off - I assume around 30min mark)
Mateo

This makes Mannahs job easier and thus making him more effective and also aids his development. Mannah will still be inconsistant for a few years, thats just how it is when your a young prop. If Mannah has constant support of his team mates he wont be relied on to lead the pack and he will be able to do it on his own accord.

Last edited:

cgee221

Juniors
That is true but why have Cayless in the backrow when Shack is more of a backrower anyway... doesnt make too much sense.

I would prefer Mannah on with one of Fui, Poore and Cayless for teh whole game. If we started with all 3 players they would all go off between 20-25min mark and Mannah would be on the field with a possible pack of:

Mannah
Keating
Shakelton
Hindmarsh
B.Smith
Mateo

That is a very light weight pack and it would be noticed almost immediatly, I would prefer to start with Poore and Cayless and then have Mannah on with Fui leaving the pack looking like

Mannah
Keating
Fui
Hindmarsh
Shakelton/B.Smith (depending what time he comes off - I assume around 30min mark)
Mateo

This makes Mannahs job easier and thus making him more effective and also aids his development. Mannah will still be inconsistant for a few years, thats just how it is when your a young prop. If Mannah has constant support of his team mates he wont be relied on to lead the pack and he will be able to do it on his own accord.

Well said Caylo

Eels Dude

Coach

Actually when Cayless played second row Fui was at the club. He was made to play second row so both he and our 'marquee' signing Aaron Cannings could both start the match. Ended up back at prop when Cannings was injured a couple of games later. He might have been able to make something of it then, no way could Cayless could play as a backrower now though.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Fui has been carrying our forward pack when it comes to making meters for a very long time.

Shack has been playing rather poorly at prop in my opinion. I dont think he has the fitness for it. I actually think he has played his best footy for the Roosters at lock.

Pazza

First Grade

Shacks has been playing a lot of prop for the roosters. If you watch the guy play he is a battering ram, he doesnt have the skills of Cayless which can be used in more of an attacking role linking up with the outside backs. i just think he maybe more useful doing to dirty work than Cayless.

That is a very light weight pack

lol Shacks and Mannah are 106 - 107kg each! We dont lost much size with interchanges. But if size is all that matters lets get Cayless and Mannah out of the side for Paulo and Latimore :roll:

Mannah has been doing just fine with Wright or Latimore coming off the bench so i dont understand this argument

mickdo

Coach
Shack has been playing rather poorly at prop in my opinion. I dont think he has the fitness for it. I actually think he has played his best footy for the Roosters at lock.

I can't see him playing much prop for us, but you never know

PCRL

Juniors
Like the song says - Fui Fui your fantastic

BRING ON THE WARRIORS

ROCK ON THE MIGHTY EELS

lingard

Coach
IMO the most under-rated prop in the game. Is much better then Poore, Hannat, Myles and would be up there with Bailey, Price and Civ as the best prop in the game. Next year with Poore and Cayless accompanying him, we will be difficult to beat. Mannah is going to have alot of experianced players to look up to and learn his trade and he will be better for it in a few years aswell.

In terms of go-forward and inspiration? Absolutely. In terms of ball-skills and football intelligence? Maybe not. And, yeah, Mannah will come along in leaps and bounds. Don`t forget we have Shackleton, who I don`t rate all that highly, but he might flourish under Anderson and with these other players around him. He can play prop also.

lingard

Coach
I didn't get to see the golden age of the 80s so I can only comment what I've seen so far but I don't think it's too outlandish a statement to say Fui is one of the best players I have seen play for the Eels. There is hardly any player out there who has such little regard for self preservation as Fui and I really hope he can with the premiership he deserves with us.

Well, I go back to the sixties and...um....sorry, but, yeah, it is a little bit outlandish. Fui is terrific at what he does - provides fantastic go-forward and inspiration. But in terms of being a footballer? Well, he doesn`t possess a lot of vision, he isn`t a reliable ball-player (which I think is an essential quality in a good prop) and he often makes the wrong call (ie: passess when he shouldn`t and doesn`t pass when he should.) I`m not unhappy with him at all, but I definitely wouldn`t say he`s one of the best players we`ve had.

Bigfella

Coach
Well, I go back to the sixties and...um....sorry, but, yeah, it is a little bit outlandish. Fui is terrific at what he does - provides fantastic go-forward and inspiration. But in terms of being a footballer? Well, he doesn`t possess a lot of vision, he isn`t a reliable ball-player (which I think is an essential quality in a good prop) and he often makes the wrong call (ie: passess when he shouldn`t and doesn`t pass when he should.) I`m not unhappy with him at all, but I definitely wouldn`t say he`s one of the best players we`ve had.

He's no Johnny Simon is he? :lol::lol::lol:

caylo

Bench
lol Shacks and Mannah are 106 - 107kg each! We dont lost much size with interchanges. But if size is all that matters lets get Cayless and Mannah out of the side for Paulo and Latimore :roll:

Being a prob isnt all about size, guys like Canning and Tsuolus figured that out quickly. Shaks pays much better on the edges then through the middle and Mannah is still green and does not have the fitness of Cayless, Poore or Fui.

Most importantly we have 3 experianced Props atleast 1 of those 3 should be at any stage. Mannah and Wright recently have stepped up but we have noticed before the drop in go forward when Cayless and Poore come off. Young players (esp Props) are inconsistant and they wont always step up. Experianced Props are normally very consistant and have the strength and Fitness to keep a steady go forward.

Latest posts