What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuifui Moana Moimoi - We will miss you

TheParraboy

Staff member
Take care champion, one of the best and consistent Parramatta players of the last 10 year, top 3-4 easily.

Live life happy

All the best to you and family

[youtube]PGYAAsHT4QE[/youtube]

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/last-well-see-of-parramatta-cult-hero-fuifui-moimoi-on-australian-soil/story-fni3ga7r-1227031109403

FUIFUI is gonegone.

Only 48 hours after walking out on a Parramatta training session, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Moimoi — among the great NRL cult figures of the modern era — has almost certainly played his last game on Australian soil.

FUI WALKS OUT ON EELS AFTER SNUBBING

Shattered at being left out of the blockbuster Friday Night Football clash with Manly — which was supposed to double as his Parramatta farewell game — the Eels prop is now unlikely to play NSW Cup with Wentworthville on Saturday afternoon.

As of Wednesday night, Eels officials remained hopeful Moimoi would still show for a special presentation being made at the conclusion of Friday’s clash for the prop, Ben Smith and injured centre Willie Tonga — all of whom are leaving the club at the end of this year.

It is thought the veteran forward will attend rather than provide any distraction for teammates before their biggest match of the season.

108867-dc097080-282f-11e4-aaf4-d11cdeb5504d.jpg

After 11 years and 201 NRL games, it’s understood the Blue and Gold Army favourite was desperate to not only play in the final match of the year at Pirtek Stadium, but help catapult his side back into finals football after enduring consecutive wooden spoons.

Moimoi took to Twitter late on Tuesday night and hinted at the drama, telling his followers: My good friend just call, he say play #BobMarley song ‘3 Little Birds’ #everylittlethinggonnabealright

109323-f3cb9a90-282f-11e4-aaf4-d11cdeb5504d.jpg

Last edited:
Fui has simply updated his line from his Bunnies days. Instead of "Fui Fui plays 10 minutes, Fui Fui trains 10 minutes", it's now "Fui plays no minutes, Fui trains for no minutes".

Gronk

Staff member
It's a crucial game Fui, however the stage has been set for a nice farewell at oranges. Hope you will be there with Ben and Willie.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Did he even spit the dummy? Sounds a LOT like newspapers are stretching the truth as far as they possibly can.

From the newspaper articles, here is a reconstruction of what happened:
Team is training on Tuesday.
Arthur takes Fui aside to let him know that, unfortunately, he won't be in the team on Friday night.
Fui is upset, can't complete training - really really wanted to play.
Understandably, team lets him go home.
One of his mates calls Fui, and tells him to listen to the Bob Marley song 'every little thing gonna be alright'
Fui tweets that his mate told him to listen to the song (presumably it made him feel a bit better).

There's no dummy spit. The big bloke was understandably upset - he wanted to play in his last chance to play a game at Parra Stadium.
The paper even admits the club told them Fui will be there
As of Wednesday night, Eels officials remained hopeful Moimoi would still show for a special presentation being made at the conclusion of Friday’s clash for the prop, Ben Smith and injured centre Willie Tonga — all of whom are leaving the club at the end of this year.

It is thought the veteran forward will attend rather than provide any distraction for teammates before their biggest match of the season.

But because they haven't been able to speak to Fui himself, they stir up some crap...

According to his Twitter he was at Parramatta Stadium last night watching the Wanderers... and is apparently in talks with Wakefield-Trinity.

BveddceCQAA5s7z.jpg:small

PARRA_FAN

Coach
We wouldve liked to have the seen him a proper farewell in front of his fans. He's done well for us since he came here in late 2003.

Unfortunately his best days are behind him, and we're at a crucial stage on trying to get into the finals.

Had we been in a different position, either way down the bottom of the table, or so further up the ladder we've sealed a finals spot, he'd definately play this one.

But its a great career for a bloke he came to the club as quoted "I train 10 minutes, I play 10 minutes. He really came of age here and I think we should applaud for what he's done to this club.

Looking back at some great Fui moments, there's so many good ones.

When he first came onto the scence, a lot of people noticed him cause of his name, but it wasnt just that, his barnstorming runs is what got the crowds excited. He made a big run on his debut in 2004, and picked up a Dally M point if I recall.

He played a few more games that year, but 2005 was the year he started to seal his spot in First Grade.

One of my favourite moments was in 2005 against the Cowboys, a cross kick was put, Parra players were onside, and here was Fui outjumped Matt Bowen for the ball to score.

Later that year, he tore the Bulldogs forwards apart, when we smashed them by 50 points.

Unfortunately he didnt play finals in those 2 years (05, 06), cause of suspension but came back strongly.

Who can forget 2009, it wasnt just Hayne that had a great season but Fui Fui was unstoppable that year.

The try he scored against Canterbury where he charged into their defence carried them for about 10m and then found his way over the line. That was brilliant to watch.

And then later on when we met them again in that semi final, he was getting bashed by the Bulldogs forwards, but he never gave up, he just kept taking it up. In the end he had the last laugh, breaking through the Bulldogs defence at a crucial time leading to Dan Mortimer's try, sealing victory. Parramatta are in the Grand Final, and there's Fui Fui celebrating.

He was probably our best player in that Grand Final, we were 10 -0 down before Fui smashed Brett White, lifting our spirits and getting us back in the game. And again 22-12 down, Fui takes on the Melbourne defence and charges his way to the try line giving us hope.

He's definately been a crowd over the years and Im glad he's a one club player at Parramatta.

Thanks for the memories Fui.

goodplayer

Juniors
It's a crucial game Fui, however the stage has been set for a nice farewell at oranges. Hope you will be there with Ben and Willie.
we love fui

We wouldve liked to have the seen him a proper farewell in front of his fans. He's done well for us since he came here in late 2003.

Unfortunately his best days are behind him, and we're at a crucial stage on trying to get into the finals.

Had we been in a different position, either way down the bottom of the table, or so further up the ladder we've sealed a finals spot, he'd definately play this one.

But its a great career for a bloke he came to the club as quoted "I train 10 minutes, I play 10 minutes. He really came of age here and I think we should applaud for what he's done to this club.

Looking back at some great Fui moments, there's so many good ones.

When he first came onto the scence, a lot of people noticed him cause of his name, but it wasnt just that, his barnstorming runs is what got the crowds excited. He made a big run on his debut in 2004, and picked up a Dally M point if I recall.

He played a few more games that year, but 2005 was the year he started to seal his spot in First Grade.

One of my favourite moments was in 2005 against the Cowboys, a cross kick was put, Parra players were onside, and here was Fui outjumped Matt Bowen for the ball to score.

Later that year, he tore the Bulldogs forwards apart, when we smashed them by 50 points.

Unfortunately he didnt play finals in those 2 years (05, 06), cause of suspension but came back strongly.

Who can forget 2009, it wasnt just Hayne that had a great season but Fui Fui was unstoppable that year.

The try he scored against Canterbury where he charged into their defence carried them for about 10m and then found his way over the line. That was brilliant to watch.

And then later on when we met them again in that semi final, he was getting bashed by the Bulldogs forwards, but he never gave up, he just kept taking it up. In the end he had the last laugh, breaking through the Bulldogs defence at a crucial time leading to Dan Mortimer's try, sealing victory. Parramatta are in the Grand Final, and there's Fui Fui celebrating.

He was probably our best player in that Grand Final, we were 10 -0 down before Fui smashed Brett White, lifting our spirits and getting us back in the game. And again 22-12 down, Fui takes on the Melbourne defence and charges his way to the try line giving us hope.

He's definately been a crowd over the years and Im glad he's a one club player at Parramatta.

Thanks for the memories Fui.
fully agree , great player, great post :D

bartman

Immortal
He should have been selected above Lussick or Terepo for this match.

We are not guranteed a win without Fuifui, and it will have been a real shame if we f**k up this week like we did last week and not do enough (goal line defence, or converting attack into points) to get the win.

Thanks for the fine memories Fuifui, and best of luck with your future career and life :thumn:.

bartman

Immortal
Great article by Nick Walshaw about Fuifui today, loads of anecdotes.

Can't be bothered going back to link it just now, but it belongs in this thread.

T.S Quint

Coach
His official retirement thread and you get his bloody name wrong in the title.

F**k you merkins.

Great article by Nick Walshaw about Fuifui today, loads of anecdotes.

Can't be bothered going back to link it just now, but it belongs in this thread.

FIRST time he disappeared, Fuifui Moimoi was 17.

Innocent.

A young man who, having known nothing but his tiny island of Vava?u, stowed away on a transport ship bound for the Tongan mainland.

It was a trip nobody, save the schoolboy mate who joined him, knew anything about.

And given there is no telephone anywhere in his humble family home, Fa and Finau Moimoi would go weeks, then months before hearing from their runaway son.

?So I disappear, yes,?? the enigmatic Eel laughs, chatting now inside his Fairfield pad. ?But I?d heard so many stories about the mainland, how it was so much more exciting than our island, I had to go.?

Yeah, but for how long?

?Ah, I left at the start of the year,?? he smiles. ?And went back at the end of it.

?It was funny really. My family had no home phone, no mobiles or anything ... Mum didn?t know where I was.?

But does anybody? Ever?

Take the time, playing lower grades with South Sydney, when Moimoi famously walked out on a training session saying ?you play me for 10 minutes, I train for 10 minutes?. Or the Eels press day, back in 2007, when every first grader fronted the cameras, bar one.

When a Parramatta player finds their thongs gone, or shoes filled with water, Moimoi is always conspicuous by his absence. And don?t ask, either, how many pre-season openers he?s skipped with that international phonecall starting ?ahhh, my flight back from Tonga ... it?s delayed?.

And then three days back, Fui disappeared again.

This time, it was a weights session the Eels cult figure cut early. Walking out after coach Brad Arthur revealed Moimoi would be 18th man for the Friday Night Football blockbuster with Manly.

And just like that, one of the most recognised NRL footballers was gone.

?But it wasn?t because I was dropped,?? Moimoi insists of the drama that has since made backpage headlines. ?This game against Manly, it was my chance to thank the fans. I love them, love this club ... and I wanted everyone to see that when I played.?

But you know, maybe this is the way it?s supposed to end.

After 11 years and exactly 201 NRL games ? not to mention those umpteen stories about changing hairstyles, stolen gym fans, even finding $10 in the middle of a game against Canterbury ? this tattooed Tongan enigma simply disappears back into the ether from which he came.

A trail of defenders and memories left sprawled in his wake.

Like when Moimoi first arrived at Parramatta -- ?slow, fat, about 118 kilos I think? -- and was thrown straight into an opening day circuit that had players sprinting, tackling, repeating on a loop that lasted 80 minutes.

But Fui, he collapsed after less than five.

So that weekend, Eels staffers told him only to stay active. Walk, have a swim, whatever.

Yet early Monday morning, Moimoi arrived to proudly announce he?d run seven kilometres. Right around Parramatta Park, he said.

?But Fui,?? came the reply. ?Parramatta Park is only three kilometres. And did you really even do that??

The response: ?Ahh ... no?.

Then there was the summer Eels players remember Fui complaining about how, without air conditioning, he couldn?t sleep in his unit. A statement made right before the giant industrial fan from the gym disappeared.

?And when summer was finished,?? recalls our man on the inside, ?the fan came back?.

Honestly, there are a million of them.

Like Fui telling Eels staffers he could run 100m in 9.7 seconds. But Fui, they replied, the world record is 9.72. ?Ah,?? he shrugged, ?must be over 100 yards?.

Or another time, in a bid to inspire him physically, when an Eels trainer asked Moimoi the Tongan for ?fit, fast, powerful?. And so, he obliged.

The interpreted catchphrase screamed encouragingly in gym sessions, prior to games, even in the heat of battle. Shouted for some six months before Fui muttered how, you know our saying, it actually means eat, sleep and ... well, just think of something else young men like to do with regularity.

But on Friday, it all ends.

While he will likely appear after fulltime to receive a framed jersey from the club, Moimoi says he won?t play out the year in NSW Cup. Instead, he will work on sorting his next contract, most likely in the English Super League.

For a bloke who rarely speaks, it has been an incredible story.

Remembering how, despite being capable of running no more than five minutes on a treadmill in his first week at the Eels, Moimoi was eventually moulded into the type of monster who, in that Grand Final year of 2009, made a whopping 110 tackle busts while also averaging 121 metres.

Here was a New Zealand international with 44cm biceps and 47cm calves. A kamikaze prop who, after being suspended for 22 weeks in his first two years alone, worked so hard at refining both his style, and game, he?s missed only three weeks with suspension since.

Such a wonderful mix of colour and commitment, the bloke runs a support play and finds 10 bucks.

?Canterbury at ANZ,?? he laughs. ?The Bulldogs kicked upfield and I was running back to support. Saw the note on the ground.

?So I stopped, grabbed the money and tucked it in my undies. Forgot about it too. In the showers afterwards, I stripped off and 10 dollars falls out.?

And so, finally, we come full circle to the story that started it all. To Moimoi, then a lower grader with Souths, walking out on coach Paul Langmack after delivering that now most famous of footballing lines.

But as for how much of said yarn has been, err, stretched over the years?

?None,? Moimoi deadpans. ?I was training hard each week but they wouldn?t play me. So this Monday I say to the trainer ?when we?ve trained 10 minutes, tell me because I?m leaving?.

?He did, I said what I said ... and disappear.?

Latest posts