What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full NRL round at Suncorp?

Loudstrat

Coach
Player welfare? And extra round?

Same idea used for the sevens. Similar result.

Bring back the sevens.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If you're going to do it, make it double headers Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon, two games a day. The idea in principle is stupid. If anywhere it should start at the SFS.

Dogs Of War

Coach
It works because Wales doesn't have a team. So a chance for people to experience the event as something different once a year has novelty value.

Maybe if you took the matches to Adelaide/Perth/Wellington etc, anywhere that doesn't have a League team, there would be some benefit. I could see supporters in Adelaide and Perth turning up as for value for money, to be able to see 4 teams in action would be great.

miccle

Bench
Ahh this idea is growing on me more and more. Just think about how this would go:

FRIDAY NIGHT DOUBLE HEADER:

Game 1 - Melbourne -v- Canberra.
Game 2 - Broncos -v- Warriors

SATURDAY NIGHT DOUBLE HEADER:

Game 1 - Bulldogs -v- Cowboys
Game 2 - Sharks -v- Dragons

SUNDAY ARVO DOUBLE HEADER:

Game 1 - Parra -v- Manly
Game 2 - Souths -v- Roosters (both games would attract HEAPS of Sydney-based day trippers)

MONDAY NIGHT DOUBLE HEADER:

Game 1 - Penrith -v- Tigers
Game 2 - Titans -v- Knights

*drools*

Brycey

Juniors
It works because Wales doesn't have a team. So a chance for people to experience the event as something different once a year has novelty value.

Maybe if you took the matches to Adelaide/Perth/Wellington etc, anywhere that doesn't have a League team, there would be some benefit. I could see supporters in Adelaide and Perth turning up as for value for money, to be able to see 4 teams in action would be great.
I dont think you realise how many people in QLD support other teams.

Being a Roosters fan, last year against the Titans was the first time in a long time I got to see them play because luck of the draw has forbid them from playing in Brisbane.

There are 4 teams every year that do not travel to Brisbane, their fans would want to see them play let alone the other 8 or so clubs that have supporters who want to see them more than once a year.

It would be a huge success.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Totally agree.

I'd test it in Brisbane where crowds are generally big, they have the best rectangle standium in the country, and they don't ever get to see non-bronco games.

The fact there's 9 teams in Sydney and 3 in Brisbane escape you did it?

mxlegend99

Referee
Do this a few times a year, in different states. Would go a long way to promoting the game. Say we did it 4 times each year, and each team just had 2 less home games.

I for one would plan a holiday to wherever it happens.

stormtragic

Juniors
Great idea..... extra round full of derbies, the people would turn up and other comps like fastest player over 100, goal kicking comp - get fans involved...

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
I like the idea. Mayer has done some great things at Manly, and I think this proposal has a lot of merit. However, I think having it in round 1 when all teams are hopeful of making the top 8 and all the fans are excited after a long off season, may see larger crowds and more interest.

If it is round 25 as proposed, and the weekend before finals, I don't think they'll have Monday night matches. Last year the Monday night match was played on Sunday night so to not give any teams less preperation time going into the finals. So I'd say they will go 2 friday night games, 3 saturday games and 3 sunday games.

NthKnight

I dont think you realise how many people in QLD support other teams.

Being a Roosters fan, last year against the Titans was the first time in a long time I got to see them play because luck of the draw has forbid them from playing in Brisbane.

There are 4 teams every year that do not travel to Brisbane, their fans would want to see them play let alone the other 8 or so clubs that have supporters who want to see them more than once a year.

It would be a huge success.

Spot on brother. There are tonnes of non-Qld NRL team supporters here in Brissy and all would jump at the chance to see their team play 1 extra live game in a year.

Also Id like to dispell the myth that just because a team is based in Qld it is easier for their fans to get to Brissy than Sydney based fans. Townsville is a lllloooonnnggg way from Brissy and is infact around 400 km further than Sydney and it is fair to say that there are far more flights per day between Sydney - Brisbane than there are between Townsville - Brisbane.

This idea has merit with my only real concerns being the quality of the ground after 4 full on days of footy and the resistance that might be met from clubs and player groups regarding player burn out.

Latest posts