What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full NRL round at Suncorp?

alexc

The fact there's 9 teams in Sydney and 3 in Brisbane escape you did it?
Are you saying this would work better in Sydney? I don't understand what you are trying to put across. And since when has Brisbane had three teams.

Brisbane has a stadium that people are generally enthusiastic about, whereas ANZ stadium is a depressing sh*thole graveyard 90% of the time.

also if this is popular it might send a message to the nrl that brisbane needs a 2nd nrl side.

ive got no doubt this will be a huge success

Sir Biffo

Bench
Queensland, my apologies.

That point makes no sense anyway - 9 teams in one city (granted Woolongong and Penrith are pushing it) versus 3 in one state? Plus for fans from Townsville to get down to Brisbane they would have to travel further than fans from Sydney to get up!

Why reward Sydney with hosting this? It would just be a standard weekend of NRL, instead of them playing 4 games there they get 8 ... Crowds would maybe top 15k whoppeee.

Give Queenslanders the chance to see if they can sustain 8 games - they're always whingeing about how they're the home of RL now.

squiddy

Juniors
I like the idea ,I'd go for sure plus I like the ideas mentioned here about a super ticket for the whole weekend and also about taking it around each year , melbourne , auckland , Sydney etc , great idea !

dannyboy

Juniors
If you would do it in Sydney you'd have to do it at the SFS to ensure no empty seats.

Which ground holds more - Suncorp or SFS?

Reckon its a brilliant idea - like the double headers each day and multi-day passes...don't see why it has to be an additional round though

eels_fan_01

Bench
Which ground holds more - Suncorp or SFS?

Reckon its a brilliant idea - like the double headers each day and multi-day passes...don't see why it has to be an additional round though

Suncorp holds 52 thousand, SFS holds about 48 now doesnt it after the upgrade im not too sure.

Id like to see it tried in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

Loudstrat

Coach
Ahh this idea is growing on me more and more. Just think about how this would go:

FRIDAY NIGHT DOUBLE HEADER:

Game 1 - Melbourne -v- Canberra.
Game 2 - Broncos -v- Warriors

SATURDAY NIGHT DOUBLE HEADER:

Game 1 - Bulldogs -v- Cowboys
Game 2 - Sharks -v- Dragons

SUNDAY ARVO DOUBLE HEADER:

Game 1 - Parra -v- Manly
Game 2 - Souths -v- Roosters (both games would attract HEAPS of Sydney-based day trippers)

MONDAY NIGHT DOUBLE HEADER:

Game 1 - Penrith -v- Tigers
Game 2 - Titans -v- Knights

*drools*

That's where the idea falls over. Parra v Manly - 900kms away from each area. Where would the crowd passion come from???? Parra v Manly sould either be at Brooky, Parrra or Homebush

Brycey

Juniors
That's where the idea falls over. Parra v Manly - 900kms away from each area. Where would the crowd passion come from???? Parra v Manly sould either be at Brooky, Parrra or Homebush
Once again...

People have no idea how much support there is for Sydney teams in the SEQLD area.

Dutchy

Immortal

Manly have a huge following in SEQLD. Just watch the past three Manly v Broncos matches at Suncorp. In 2007 Manly fans drowned out the Broncs :fist:

I think its a great idea. Grant Mayer is a smart lad isnt he?

One of the best CEOs in the league.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Couldn't be bothered reading the WHOLE thread. I particularly love the idea about tendering... start it the first year in Brisbane, then take it to Melbourne/NZ etc etc. The question about U20s... i think that they shouldnt play this extra round. Have this round on a Public Holiday weekend and have 4 double headers + the home city bidding for the weekend (so the NRL makes money this way.) Have that money go straight towards the development of bush league or frontier territory.

miccle

Bench

There have easily been 8-10k's worth of Parra and Manly fans at games against Brisbane at Suncorp in recent years. Easily.

Add to that the fact that hosting a derby like that on such a weekend would REALLY encourage fans to travel up from Sydney.

Also, Souths v. Roosters would be on the same day, ensuring that there would also be supporters from both teams there, many of whom could make the trek up for a great afternoon of football.

Trust me, there would be PLENTY of passion there if those four teams played a double header. Support for the Eels, Bulldogs, Dragons and Manly, in particular, is massive up here. I'd dare say combining Eels and Bulldogs supporters alone that live in SEQ would easily outnumber Broncos fans.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Friday night
Tigers v Panthers
Titans v Roosters

Sat
Eels v Dragons
Bulldogs v Warriors

(Went what looks like the best out of QLD team away support in QLD).

Sun
Raiders v Sharks
Cowboys v Manly

Mon
Knights v Souths
Broncos v Storm

(Assuming it was a public holiday or something otherwise i couldn't see two Monday night games working to well).

Brycey

Juniors
Why can't we play it midseason and have it on the Queens Bday Long Weekend.

'Queensland Queens Day Queenathon!'

lockyno1

Post Whore
Suncorp holds 52 thousand, SFS holds about 48 now doesnt it after the upgrade im not too sure.

Id like to see it tried in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

SFS holds just over 42,500. The SCG is the one getting the redevelopment, and I am not sure the exact amount that is being redeveloped.

Azkatro

First Grade
How about this for an idea. For one weekend a year, the NRL sides all travel over to England to play a round there, and on the same weekend all the Superleague sides travel here to play :lol:

bartman

Immortal
Haven't read all the posts, only the title.

But surely this idea would be better at somewhere where the NRL have to compete for attention, as a way of winning over or maintaining fan support in those areas?

eg Gold Coast (cementing the good start made by the Titans, in the face of an AFL onslaught, not to ofar from Brissie either)

or Bluetongue Stadium (in advance of attracting in a team based on the Central Coast, and not losing ground to other codes up there)

or Western Sydney (an area where the AFL has said that it's going to target, and wee need to be ready for the fight - no suitable ground out there in the Parra/Penrith/Campbelltown belt, and Homebush wouldn't count)

Someone remind me what the point would be of doing this at Suncorp, when they already get good rep and club crowds for a single match?