What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full NRL round at Suncorp?

SFS got upgraded a few years ago, im pretty sure it atleast holds 45 thousand now.

yes thats correct.

they build some extra rows on what was the edge of the playing field on the assmption that the waratahs would need it for their big games.

turns out they should made the thing smaller with that logic

lockyno1

Post Whore
So 45,500..not that it will be used anyway. Better take your bets with Suncorp. NSW crowds go up and down like a yo yo.

Brycey

Juniors
SFS got upgraded a few years ago, im pretty sure it atleast holds 45 thousand now.
It got downgraded for the 2000 Olympics to set up camera stations.

I know because I was a season TH and they moved us all over to the other side!:x

eels_fan_01

Bench
It got downgraded for the 2000 Olympics to set up camera stations.

I know because I was a season TH and they moved us all over to the other side!:x

Oh ok but it did get upgraded more recently mate, i can remember which has been mentioned they added some new rows this was in like 2006 or something.

maple_69

Bench
My initial feeling is it would be a flop. QLDers don't give a toss about anyone but their own teams. Perhaps if you were selling double headers or triple headers it'd draw crowds with at least one QLD side involved.
Novel idea though and at least someone is thinking because clearly Gallop has no f**king clue.

Oh I take that back. Anyone remember the English Premier League's idea for an 'international round'. I thought it was a bloody brilliant idea. Who wouldn't want the chance to see an Arsenal game in Sydney! But it was battered from pillar to post and eventually dumped I believe. Anyway see how this goes.

nqboy

First Grade
Couldn't be bothered reading the WHOLE thread. I particularly love the idea about tendering... start it the first year in Brisbane, then take it to Melbourne/NZ etc etc. The question about U20s... i think that they shouldnt play this extra round. Have this round on a Public Holiday weekend and have 4 double headers + the home city bidding for the weekend (so the NRL makes money this way.) Have that money go straight towards the development of bush league or frontier territory.
Good luck with that one. Mayer only suggested this for the clubs' benefit.

hellteam

First Grade
Well the Sydney clubs are looking for more money and i read in that mX paper or whatever its called in Brisbane that each club could potentially make $75 000 each from it.

Very good idea. I would definately go to it and I'm sure if they sold a pass for the 3 days plenty of people would take that up.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
No thanks.

Have a double header instead

Broncos v Cowboys
Titans v Dragons

And on the same weekend, have a double header at ANZ

Bulldogs v Parramatta
Rabbitohs v Roosters

hellteam

First Grade
No thanks.

Broncos v Cowboys
Titans v Dragons

Bulldogs v Parramatta
Rabbitohs v Roosters

That would get a crowd of about 25 000 at ANZ. Ha you'd probably nearly even get a bigger crowd for that at Suncorp.

Why not put those games with another game with a QLD team in it and get 50k?

Azkatro

First Grade
No thanks.

Broncos v Cowboys
Titans v Dragons

Bulldogs v Parramatta
Rabbitohs v Roosters
Easily the stupidest idea ever pitched on this forum. When you can draw over 50,000 for the Broncos v Cowboys alone, why the f**k would you make it into a double header?

hellteam

First Grade
Theres already 2-3 games a week at ANZ anyway. I've never understood why they play one there on Saturday and one on Sunday when they could just play both on the same day and get a bigger crowd. They could at least do it sometimes

hellteam

First Grade
Easily the stupidest idea ever pitched on this forum. When you can draw over 50,000 for the Broncos v Cowboys alone, why the f**k would you make it into a double header?

Haha very true. Titans and Dragons last year got 45k as well!

eels_fan_01

Bench
That would get a crowd of about 25 000 at ANZ. Ha you'd probably nearly even get a bigger crowd for that at Suncorp.

Why not put those games with another game with a QLD team in it and get 50k?

Bulldogs/Eels pulled 25 thousand
Souths/Roosters pulled 30 thousand

So why would it combined get 25 thousand you halfwit.

Althought putting that aside the idea of having Brisbane v Cowboys n Titans v whoever is dumb as someone already mentioned they get 50 thousand for Brisbane v Cowboys anyway so whats the point?

hellteam

First Grade
Righto well putting that aside the reason i said it is because it would be a crap idea to do it at ANZ when they play so many games there already.

Great idea..... extra round full of derbies, the people would turn up and other comps like fastest player over 100, goal kicking comp - get fans involved...

I was thinking the same thing about the extra activities.

Also, schedule it so the Broncos/Titans don't have home games either side of the round and it would draw more.

I'm giving it a reserved thumbs at, at present. However, I'm not sure that 75-100K would really make that much difference for the struggling Sydney clubs.

Monk

Referee
i am a bit mixed about the idea...
double headers on fridayand sunday would be great games provided they start-finish at reasonable times...
saturdays triple header is an ok idea... sitting down for 3 games straight i think would get a bit boring... id say move one of the games to a thursday, or something... but 3 straight games is a bad idea.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
What an excellent excuse to have a boys weekend away.

Take a half day Friday, then get on it for a few days whilst watching match after match.

I probably would fly home on Sunday and miss MNF.

Bring it on. :thumb

Patorick

Staff member
If you're going to do it, make it double headers Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon, two games a day. The idea in principle is stupid. If anywhere it should start at the SFS.

:clap:

Could not agree more with this.

Methinks fox and nine may have issues with it.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I'd like to see a round of double headers but I'm not to hot on the idea of a whole round being played here. Say have a double header on Fri night and another on Sat arvo/night. Both DH would sell out imo.

Play the rest of the round as per usual or have DH's down in Sydney aswell.