What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fullback needed next year .

Dragon David

First Grade
Storm will manage to keep Fa'alogo until Papenhuyzen retires even though Paps is only 25 :rolleyes:
The Storm have a few options for fullback in the years ahead with Ryan Papenhuysen, Nick Meaney and now Sualauvi Faalogo. Three into one doesn't go obviously.

Papenhuysen is contracted to the end of 2025,
Faalogo is signed to the end of 2024 and would you believe, and I have just come across this when looking up details, that Nick Meaney is shown as being at the Dragons in 2024. His contract finishes at the Storm at the end of 2023 and Wikipedia (if you believe in it) shows him being at the Dragons for 2024 as well as
Nick Meaney
YearsTeamT
Club
2019–21Canterbury Bulldogs22
2022–23Melbourne Storm23
2024–St. George Illawarra Dragons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Meaney
However, looking him up on the Storm's website he signed a one year extension to cover him to the end of 2024 so unless Wikipedia is wrong (which we know is a big possibility) we might have been negotiating him out of his one year extension at the Storm and signed him up on a long term deal and better money???

So, Bellamy is saying that it has been undecided where Papenhuysen will play in the finals games and even next year - he could easily play centre with either Meaney or Faalogo at Fullback. In any case, as I say 3 into 1 doesn't go and we might be lucky to snare Meaney - keeping Faalogo at the Storm is a no brainer as he is the future Billy Slater.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

mattchuot

Juniors
The Storm have a few options for fullback in the years ahead with Ryan Papenhuysen, Nick Meaney and now Sualauvi Faalogo. Three into one doesn't go obviously.

Faalogo is signed to the end of 2024 and would you believe, and I have just come across this when looking up details, that Nick Meaney is shown as being at the Dragons in 2024. His contract finishes at the Storm at the end of 2023 and Wikipedia (if you believe in it) shows him being at the Dragons for 2024 as well as
Nick Meaney
Club
YearsTeamT
2022–23Melbourne Storm23
However, looking him up on the Storm's website he signed a one year extension to cover him to the end of 2024 so unless Wikipedia is wrong (which we know is a big possibility) we might have been negotiating him out of his one year extension at the Storm and signed him up on a long term deal and better money???

So, Bellamy is saying that it has been undecided where Papenhuysen will play in the finals games and even next year - he could easily play centre with either Meaney or Faalogo at Fullback. In any case, as I say 3 into 1 doesn't go and we might be lucky to snare Meaney - keeping Faalogo at the Storm is a no brainer as he is the future Billy Slater.

What do you guys think?
I believe someone changed his wiki as a joke. I recall seeing some comments about it last week. Nevertheless, I think Meaney would be a good get especially if the Storm are going to invest into Paps/Faalogo combo.

Illusion

Bench

Nick Meaney
Club
YearsTeamT
2022–23Melbourne Storm23

What do you guys think?
If we do get Meaney , its a win for us ......

qld redvee

Juniors
Meaney would be a good pickup
However what do you think of the young manly fullback KAEO WEEKES he apparantly is "free" to look around , now if he is any good you would hope flanno is all over it ..

BLM01

First Grade

Nick Meaney
Club
YearsTeamT
2022–23Melbourne Storm23

What do you guys think?
Defintely. I thought Meaney although on the wing at the time was a strange loss for the Dogs and a good get for Bellamy

Mojo

Bench
Noticed during broncos raiders tonight both raiders tries Reece walsh was also very hopeless.. if he wasn't the flavour of the month and playing for a top team I wonder if the commentators would mention this ?? I don't know how effective walsh is i imagine he is a lot better than sloan
Statistically Walsh is a worse defender than Sloane.

True_Believer

Juniors
I recall Sloane being slammed for not catching a bomb in the pissing rain. The next day Walsh did the same thing about four times and the commentary was that he is a genius. Both young guys have attacking talent, both are poor defenders.
But you can't honestly say that Sloan is of the same quality as Walsh. Yes both are poor defenders but Walsh is in almost every play. He is constantly backing up, he's in the attacking line, his speed is faster than Sloan. He does put his body on the line in attack. All of these things Sloan doesn't do. Walsh is far more involved in a single game than Sloan is for the whole season.

Mojo

Bench
But you can't honestly say that Sloan is of the same quality as Walsh. Yes both are poor defenders but Walsh is in almost every play. He is constantly backing up, he's in the attacking line, his speed is faster than Sloan. He does put his body on the line in attack. All of these things Sloan doesn't do. Walsh is far more involved in a single game than Sloan is for the whole season.
Yes, agreed. There's more to a footy career than mere talent, though. Hayne was a great player who went pear shaped. Thurston struggled to get a start. Who was more successful? It's a very daring forecast but I expect Sloane's apparent humility will serve him well in the long term in contrast to Walsh. I read a book recently by a psychiatrist who works exclusively with elite sports people and he says humility is the defining feature, because even as world beaters. they still believe they can improve, they seek advice and they listen. Bennett always talks about young guys who listen and he doesn't have any time for players who believe they are 'stars'. In true Bennett style:- 'two rules: don't ever be late for training and no shit haircuts' - you know what he means!

Dragon David

First Grade
Sloan tonight has played his last game at fullback.
Was at the game tonight he is a jersey grabber and doesnt like to get his jersey dirty.
He will not defend the try line he isn't a nrl player frustrating to watch him
I had high hopes for him at the start of the season. He needs more time in reserves that's all I can add I am afraid.

Gippsy

Bench
I thought Sloan had a good game last night.

Safe under the high ball, ran the ball back strongly, set up a try, made a few half breaks. In fact, when we had to throw the ball around to score I was yelling to give it to Sloan. He looked far and away our most dangerous attacking player. Lets see what he can do with some good coaching, for him and the structures around him, before we sack him!!

Rocket Rod

Juniors
I thought Sloan had a good game last night.

Safe under the high ball, ran the ball back strongly, set up a try, made a few half breaks. In fact, when we had to throw the ball around to score I was yelling to give it to Sloan. He looked far and away our most dangerous attacking player. Lets see what he can do with some good coaching, for him and the structures around him, before we sack him!!
Wow your easily pleased
He looks weak when he has the ball
Runs out of red zone with no purpose and then pulls up when he’s about to be tackled
Goes missing when we’re attacking
Runs sideways with the ball
Overall not 1st grade standard
Would be flat out starting in any team except maybe tigers or dogs
I did have high hopes but he has killed them same as Dufty did
It’s a shame

TruSaint

Referee
Sloan tonight has played his last game at fullback.
Was at the game tonight he is a jersey grabber and doesnt like to get his jersey dirty.
He will not defend the try line he isn't a nrl player frustrating to watch him

I know many still hold out hope, but I agree with you.

Silky runner when play is open, but doesn't put his body on the line for NRL level. I don't like saying it, but it's obvious.

Maybe Flanno can do something but for mine, he is Dufty v2.

Latest posts