What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Furious Warriors sponsor launches attack

borisdog

Juniors
I actually like what theyve done this year with that. Puts the onus on the attacking player to actually follow the rules! Stand up, put ball on ground, play it back with foot. Its pretty basic!
Yeah it is.

But get the markers hands off while they're trying to do it.

Absolutely no doubt then if ya balls it up.

Saxon

Bench
Something had to be done about the cynical penalties in the red zone though.

The Roosters just ate that shit up
Something had to be done, yes.
What it should have been was to bin the Roosters players every time they did two in a row. That would have stopped it quick smart.

Apey

Staff member
Realistically if you're not Penrith (and only in recent years), the Bunnies, Melbourne, the Roosters or Brisbane....the refs are going to dud you across a game at some stage. Even those teams get individual shit calls against them.

There are tiers of dudding...like as a Parra fan we still cop some shockers when we're on the back foot but the refs love us when we've got momentum. I think the Warriors maybe come across as more dudded than others because I've never met anyone who doesn't have a bit of a soft spot for them? Like objectively I care about the standard of refereeing as a fan but subjectively if Manly get dudded I'm not upset about it because they deserve it
Yes, this is it.

People love to claim neutrality on this forum (and other fans elsewhere) because they think neutral means 'they aren't my favourite team', but a lot of people like the Warriors and see them as a bit of a second team for sure, and therefore have their own bias about how a team they like is being officiated. It's exactly the same situation in reverse when teams people hate get a f**king by the ref but you don't hear a peep.

That's not to say some teams don't get a raw deal (and others a favourable one), but it's not some conspiracy against the Warriors - its incompetence and probably a subconscious bias against 'lesser' clubs in general.

nswarrior

Juniors
Can everyone else keep their whinging about the refs somewhere else
This thread is for the Warriors fans to whinge about how badly we are treated 😊

Realistically if you're not Penrith (and only in recent years), the Bunnies, Melbourne, the Roosters or Brisbane....the refs are going to dud you across a game at some stage. Even those teams get individual shit calls against them.

There are tiers of dudding...like as a Parra fan we still cop some shockers when we're on the back foot but the refs love us when we've got momentum. I think the Warriors maybe come across as more dudded than others because I've never met anyone who doesn't have a bit of a soft spot for them? Like objectively I care about the standard of refereeing as a fan but subjectively if Manly get dudded I'm not upset about it because they deserve it
I think the other aspect is how the teams react to the incompetence. The better sides can deal better with a bad call/get more advantage out of a good call than the lesser sides, which draws attention to the calls that go their way. This makes it seem like they are getting more of the calls.

The reality is all the teams get rough calls; the refs are human and make errors (like players). But they don’t make half as many errors as many fans think. Perception colours our viewing of a decision; I think that our own biases colour a decision by 10%. So we think that a decision that is truly 50/50 is actually a 60/40 in favour of our team (and so see that as our team being deserving of the decision/bring dudded if it goes against and don’t see it as a genuine toss of the coin), while we see 40/60 decisions as 50/50, and when we don’t get them we see our teams as not getting the rub of the green.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Olam was pretty much facing the sideline when he played this. Acceptable? It was not pulled up in the game. Storm got a try from the next play.
Now that’s different- you still should have to be facing in the right direction. I just don’t see the issue with planting the ball as you’re getting up as long as you get the rest of it right.

Meth

Staff member
Warriors fans definitely don’t love Cecchin, but we certainly weren’t alone in that

mxlegend99

Referee
I actually like what theyve done this year with that. Puts the onus on the attacking player to actually follow the rules! Stand up, put ball on ground, play it back with foot. Its pretty basic!
If it was consistent. It would be fine. They'll pull it out randomly on a play the ball that is similar to 50 other through the game that were fine. I only recall it happening to my team a couple times. But when it did happen i was seriously confused how it was worse than most other play the balls. Each time you assume the penalty is going to the team with the ball at first. Im sure ultimately every team cops that weird one though.

The closest thing to consistency we get is crackdowns where things are done way overboard for every team.
2 years ago it's head high contact. Where any contact with head no matter how minor or if it was avoidable or not was a sin bin. Anything with force was a send off.

At the moment it's now 'hip drop' tackles. Although some tackles look incredibly similar but for whatever reason aren't a hip drop. But most the players binned for these have been making a fair tackle and physics/momentum has put them in a position that was unavoidable... Unless the player just decided to not make the tackle at all.

Unlike a high tackle or most other illegal tackles. I dont see how players can eliminate the chance of it happening. It's often beyond their control. Kinda like some crusher tackles. Defenders can't avoid these situations as they can't anticipate what the player is going to do.

But teams and their fans just need to cop that guys are going to get binned for these accidents sometimes. At best you can hope you'll get one back in your favour.

Canard

Immortal
That explanation Annesley gave for the Cleary "punch" was embarrassing, "look at his chin, it moves". A lot of players are going to be binned if a jersey grab is considered a punch.

And earlier Latrine strikes Harry Grant whilst he was on the ground, and not even a penalty.

If it was consistent. It would be fine. They'll pull it out randomly on a play the ball that is similar to 50 other through the game that were fine. I only recall it happening to my team a couple times. But when it did happen i was seriously confused how it was worse than most other play the balls. Each time you assume the penalty is going to the team with the ball at first. Im sure ultimately every team cops that weird one though.

The closest thing to consistency we get is crackdowns where things are done way overboard for every team.
2 years ago it's head high contact. Where any contact with head no matter how minor or if it was avoidable or not was a sin bin. Anything with force was a send off.

At the moment it's now 'hip drop' tackles. Although some tackles look incredibly similar but for whatever reason aren't a hip drop. But most the players binned for these have been making a fair tackle and physics/momentum has put them in a position that was unavoidable... Unless the player just decided to not make the tackle at all.

Unlike a high tackle or most other illegal tackles. I dont see how players can eliminate the chance of it happening. It's often beyond their control. Kinda like some crusher tackles. Defenders can't avoid these situations as they can't anticipate what the player is going to do.

But teams and their fans just need to cop that guys are going to get binned for these accidents sometimes. At best you can hope you'll get one back in your favour.
I disagree about hip drops; they could just about all be avoided with a classic legs tackle, but players are taught to win the ruck.

Been said plenty before, but the game needs to find a way to reward a high quality legs tackle.

Meth

Staff member
That explanation Annesley gave for the Cleary "punch" was embarrassing, "look at his chin, it moves". A lot of players are going to be binned if a jersey grab is considered a punch.

lol Annesley got fired up and said that when Paris (or anyone) questions the integrity of the referees, then we are questioning the integrity of the whole administration by default....and....yeah....I'm fine with that.

To be clear, I don't think the refs are cheating and I don't think the Warriors are the only ones who probably cop more calls than they get in their favour. But I don't think the refs or the administration are all that competent and I don't think they have a lot of integrity.

Getting late to this discussion, I actually love it that the CEO of a club’s major sponsor is passionate enough about the club his organisation sponsors to publicly air his displeasure and grievances.

It is demonstrates the true strength of the long term One NZ/Vodafone partnership with the Warriors and I am sure will no doubt bring the discussion to the fore NRL HQ, whilst also demonstrating to a passionate fan base that their sponsor is just as passionate as they are.

Any suggestions of NRL repercussions against him or the sponsor are frankly laughable.

I wonder if many other sponsor CEOs would be willing to go in to bay like that.

Maximus

Coach
Whoever is the bookies fave gets the rub of the green. Its always this way.
Refs mind" oh team x is losing. They are supposed to be winning. The other team must be doing something wrong and i missed it. " Ref then looks for more reasons to ping the underdog.

Couple of examples of this from recent Panthers games.

Against the Tigers between the 2nd minute when Wakeham scored, and the 29th min when Panthers took the lead, Tigers conceded 6 penalties vs 1 received. After Panthers took the lead, Tigers were then perfect for nearly 20 mins before they gave away a set restart. After re-taking the lead, they conceded a further 2 penalties. So for the 20 minutes the Tigers were behind, they conceded a total of 1 set restart and 0 penalties, vs 8 penalties while in front or level.

Against the Knights, at half time the Knights were winning 14-6 with both team conceding 4 penalties and 2 set restarts. From the start of the 2nd half to the 58th minute when the Panthers drew level, Knights conceded 5 penalties and received 1 set restart. After the 58th minute once scores were level, Knights suddenly became perfectly disciplined and didn't give up a single penalty or restart.

The Melbourne vs Warriors game had the same trend. Can probably find a bunch of other games with similar.

Maximus

Coach
lol Annesley got fired up and said that when Paris (or anyone) questions the integrity of the referees, then we are questioning the integrity of the whole administration by default....and....yeah....I'm fine with that.

To be clear, I don't think the refs are cheating and I don't think the Warriors are the only ones who probably cop more calls than they get in their favour. But I don't think the refs or the administration are all that competent and I don't think they have a lot of integrity.

You mean the administration who comes out every week and pretends there is no issues with the refs and makes up rules and interpretations each week to defend clearly incorrect calls?

If Annesley admitted to the f**kups each week rather than try to explain away why the call was actually correct, there would be significantly less questions about the integrity of him and the refs. If you believe his Monday explanations, there has been like 1 or 2 mistakes all season, which is just laughable.

Latest posts