What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Furious Warriors sponsor launches attack

Pound Cake

Juniors
I don’t know if it’s a huge conspiracy but if you think some teams don’t get more favourable calls than others you are kidding.

When a heavy favourite is behind in a game it’s at its most obvious. The ref will look for anything or even invent shit to get the favourites back in the game.
"Closest comp in 1000 years"

mongoose

Coach
I would love to hear from the refs when they do and don't decide to give 6 agains. It seems very random and often weighted to one team. I reckon 60% of plays you could probably find some infringement, especially close to the line.
the 6 again rule stinks to high heaven, at least with penalties there will be some scrutiny. I really hate the 6 again rule and its actually made me lose some interest in the sport... .

Bazal

Post Whore
Something had to be done about the cynical penalties in the red zone though.

The Roosters just ate that shit up
Plus how many times did you see a penalty count race out to 4 or 5 and then just...stop because the refs felt like they couldn't be seen blowing 18 penalties?

It still happens a bit with the six agains but not as often IMO

Burwood

Bench
A problem with 6 again is that they often seem to come in clumps- not uncommon for a side to earn 2-3 repeats in quick succession.

Bazal

Post Whore
A problem with 6 again is that they often seem to come in clumps- not uncommon for a side to earn 2-3 repeats in quick succession.

Yeah they're far from perfect and heavily momentum dependent. It's easy to give away a handful if they're 'genuine' ruck slowness, like where it's fatigue and then the attacking team gets sped up by a six again.

You could look at an escalating scale I guess? Rapid infringement after a six again is a penalty, which is a greater punishment for cynicism but also does slow down the artificial roll one a bit? Dunno

Meth

Staff member

Has anyone noticed more set repeats being awarded against them on the the 5th tackle? I definitely have.

GoSouths

Juniors
I would love to hear from the refs when they do and don't decide to give 6 agains. It seems very random and often weighted to one team. I reckon 60% of plays you could probably find some infringement, especially close to the line.
Another thing the refs like to do to disadvantage the underdog teams is when its a favourite and its not clear if the try was scored, they will go onfield decision of try and when its the underdog, they will go onfield decision of no try (more often than not).

In order for the decision to get overturned, its up to the bunker to determine beyond any doubt, that the favourites didnt get a try. and on the other end, beyond any doubt give a reason to overturn the no try decision for the underdog. You go back and watch the games. You will see this happening time and time again.

And to give a further example, how many games do you see when its the favourite, the ref just points to the spot and goes try. No discussion. Whereas the other team, (we will use the Warriors as an example) they send it up to the bunker and they spend 5 minutes looking at every possible angle to find a reason to not give a try, when everyone else in the world can see its a f**king try. Just give it already. It happens ALL the time. Its so obvious what they are trying to do, its not even funny.

borisdog

Juniors
Yeah they're far from perfect and heavily momentum dependent. It's easy to give away a handful if they're 'genuine' ruck slowness, like where it's fatigue and then the attacking team gets sped up by a six again.

You could look at an escalating scale I guess? Rapid infringement after a six again is a penalty, which is a greater punishment for cynicism but also does slow down the artificial roll one a bit? Dunno
I'd personally love to see something come in to get the marker's hands off the bloke playing the ball.

I've seen blokes this year penalised when playing the ball, for "not standing up", who've very VERY clearly been held down into a semi-crouch by the marker when they're already on their feet.

An amazing amount of the slowing down of the play the ball ( IMO ) is the markers' hands all over the bloke playing the ball. Why are you allowed to basically manhandle the player after the tackle has been completed in that situation?

SBD82

Coach
I love that a sponsor - who realistically is completely untouchable by the NRL - has said this. If nothing else it shows a person with big financial interests to throw around is also a passionate fan. Can’t imagine he’ll be cutting and running if the warriors have a bad season.

As to ref bias, I think biases are coaching into them. Not intentionally, but it’s built into the training system.

refs have video sessions on their games, both reviewing their last game and also in prep do their upcoming game. While I can see benefit in the former (especially perhaps an edited version with just a few points they want to highlight), but the prep work on upcoming games basically destroys their ability to objectively ref what is in front of them.

add into that the NRL constantly changing the rules and the “interpretation” of rules every 4-6 months and refs are basically pushing shit up hill trying to actually do their job
100%

The refs literally have tip sheets about players. To think that they can study these and then suddenly be the only people alive who are immune to unconscious bias is absurd.

@Vibing it doesn’t have to be a conspiracy mate. It could just, you know, be the vibe.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'd personally love to see something come in to get the marker's hands off the bloke playing the ball.

I've seen blokes this year penalised when playing the ball, for "not standing up", who've very VERY clearly been held down into a semi-crouch by the marker when they're already on their feet.

An amazing amount of the slowing down of the play the ball ( IMO ) is the markers' hands all over the bloke playing the ball. Why are you allowed to basically manhandle the player after the tackle has been completed in that situation?
I think the play the ball penalties are getting overly pedantic too. Like the ones where players are pinged for planting the ball, why exactly? As long as the ball is placed on the turf, and the player stands up sufficiently to roll the ball back in the normal play the ball motion just let it go. If he falls over and makes a meal of it, THEN pull it up and ping whoever was at fault.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the play the ball penalties are getting overly pedantic too. Like the ones where players are pinged for planting the ball, why exactly? As long as the ball is placed on the turf, and the player stands up sufficiently to roll the ball back in the normal play the ball motion just let it go. If he falls over and makes a meal of it, THEN pull it up and ping whoever was at fault.
I actually like what theyve done this year with that. Puts the onus on the attacking player to actually follow the rules! Stand up, put ball on ground, play it back with foot. Its pretty basic!

GoSouths

Juniors
Olam was pretty much facing the sideline when he played this. Acceptable? It was not pulled up in the game. Storm got a try from the next play.

Attachments

• Olam.jpg
    Olam.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 9

Saxon

Bench
Parra in 09 against the Storm who were way over the cap. I remember before the storms 1st try a forward was called held and he got back up and ran again, the ref let it go and they scored on the next play. Then there was that decade were parra started coming good in the late 90s and everytime we got in the semis, we'd get that Bill f**king Harrigan reffing us, we never made got past a prelim 3 years straight. Then when we did make the GF in 01, Billy boy was there and made sure the not so perfect Newcastle, seemed to have a perfect 1st half. I watched it and it was no where near perfect. Billy boy made sure it was tho.
A Parra fan crying about stuff that happened 15 and 20 years ago?
Surely not.

Latest posts