What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future Aussie stars

betcats

Referee
Yeah and a project just doesnt go from a terrible, not even NBA standard player to being "ready" overnight. He needs to show improvement no matter how slowly it comes.

At the moment he doesnt belong in the NBA, he should be in the D League, working on his game against other players at his level.

19yo is also very young for a Point Guard. He has gone from highschool in Australia to the NBA and is the 5th youngest player in the NBA, the learning curve from that move is huge. He has had good games and shown some promising flashes, development rarely goes in a straight line, kids that young have ups and downs.

The D league is a death sentance, Exums two way potential, size, athleticism and vision will ensure teams are willing give him plenty of chances, shooting can be worked on but those other things you either have or you dont. I think at the very least he will become a solid roleplayer. The thing that concerns me the most is his lack of confidence/aggression.

The Hawks look like the best team in the NBA right now. Their point guards, Teague and Schroder both had similar or worse rookie numbers than what Exum is putting up right now.

Last edited:

andrew057

First Grade
19yo is also very young for a Point Guard. He has gone from highschool in Australia to the NBA and is the 5th youngest player in the NBA, the learning curve from that move is huge. He has had good games and shown some promising flashes, development rarely goes in a straight line, kids that young have ups and downs.

The D league is a death sentance, Exums two way potential, size, athleticism and vision will ensure teams are willing give him plenty of chances, shooting can be worked on but those other things you either have or you dont. I think at the very least he will become a solid roleplayer. The thing that concerns me the most is his lack of confidence/aggression.

The Hawks look like the best team in the NBA right now. Their point guards, Teague and Schroder both had similar or worse rookie numbers than what Exum is putting up right now.

I dont disagree with much of what youve said, but the comparison to Teague and Schroder is pretty pointless.

betcats

Referee
I dont disagree with much of what youve said, but the comparison to Teague and Schroder is pretty pointless.

It wasnt a comparison, just showing that guys can start out slow and still become good to great players, hence judging to early is risky. Dirk was called a bust after 1 year. Nash took years to become the player he was, Rondo, Hayward, Bledsoe, Lowry..there are heaps of guys that were very underwhelming early on in their careers compared to what they became(there are lots who didnt I know). I guess what I am saying is sometimes for rookies you need to look past stats and production and just watch them play.

Obviously I am a bit biased but If Exum becomes a good starter in the NBA i will be stoked for him, but I think he can become more than that, the only thing that will hold him back is his confidence and aggression. I am very confident he will have a long career in the nba(just not sure what level he will be at), his potential on the defensive end aswell as his other gifts will see to that. If he can become more aggressive getting in into the lane and attacking the rim and improve his allround but especially shooting off the dribble since he is a PG then he will be a very good player.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Utah quietly going on a little run recently, they are hurting their draft chances but I have been impressed. Gobert-Favors-Hayward is an awesome front court. Exum is still struggling offensively but defensively he has really worked it out, he will be one of the best defenders in his position one day, in fact you could probably say that he is already. Even with his crappy offensive production they are a better team with Exum starting.

This team will make some noise over the next couple seasons, especially if Exum can make a jump offensively over the next season or two.

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
Ben Simmons named the McDonalds All-American Morgan Wooten high-school player of the year.

Noa

First Grade
The Nike Hoops Summit, widely considered to be the best showcase of young talent, in on next month on the 11th.

Simmons, Thon Maker and Tai Wynard will be suiting up for the world team.

Noa

First Grade
1 more thing.

The word is Simmons with his Lsu team will be playing a game in Newcastle in August sometime.

Noa

First Grade
Simmons got the daily double overnight with winning the Naismith High school player of the year.

Noa

First Grade
Nike Hoops summit is on tomorrow morning on Espn at 5am

Simmons, Thon Maker and Tai Wynyard suiting up for the world team. Expect Simmons and Maker to see plenty of minutes while Wynyard will get spot minutes. Word from practice is Simmons has looked excellent, Maker has looked Ok, and Wynyard being the youngest there is doing ok but won't impact the game much.

World teams front line will be 2 7 ftrs, Maker and Labisierre and Simmons at Sf but will play plenty of point forward. Measured 6"10 and 108kg a few days ago

shiznit

Coach
Will be interesting to see how Tai goes... He's still quite young but I think he's going head over to Kentucky for next season.

I'm a bit biased as he's a relative of mine... I know there's a heap of people back home hoping he does well.

shiznit

Coach
Watched most of the game... You were spot on about young Wynyard... It was probably a good experience for him but he needs to spend more time in the states.

That was the first time I saw Simmons... WOW!! I know it's crazy to say this... But he reminded me of Lebron in HS... Kind of plays as a PF... But kinda looks like he's playing point... And just dominated when he gets the ball.

Any special reason why he committed to LSU??

aqua_duck

Coach
Ben's godfather is an assistant coach at LSU. LSU will be competitive next year with Simmons, Antonio Blakeney (second best shooting guard in the class) and possibly Malik Newman (4th ranked player in the class). They almost beat Kentucky this year

aqua_duck

Coach
I've watched about 6 or 7 Montverde games this year including the national championship game plus the McDonald's all American game and I think Simmons also reminds me of LeBron, not quite the explosive athlete but the size, vision, quickness, handles, passing, all quite comparable. Needs to become abit more aggressive and realise how big he is, 6'10, 240lbs, not many blokes are going to stop him. If he takes it to the rim hard. His main weakness is a streaky jump shot, if he can become a bit better shooter he'll be unstoppable, though most of the shots he's taking at the HS level he's double and sometimes triple teamed

shiznit

Coach
Ben's godfather is an assistant coach at LSU. LSU will be competitive next year with Simmons, Antonio Blakeney (second best shooting guard in the class) and possibly Malik Newman (4th ranked player in the class). They almost beat Kentucky this year
Ohh okay he had a personal reason....

For sure I think whatever team he comes in to will be competitive... But I'm guessing this kid will be one and done..

I was just thinking that if he's likely to be one and done it would of been more appealing for him spend that season on a perennial final four contender just to get that final four experience.

Good on the kid though...

Latest posts