What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

mongoose

Coach
I’ve seen a few articles posted lately but Access them (paywall). Anyone have any info on what’s happing with the new Canberra stadium situation.

I think I saw this on the Green House, something about Andrew Barr saying no new stadiums until later in the decade.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I’ve seen a few articles posted lately but Access them (paywall). Anyone have any info on what’s happing with the new Canberra stadium situation.

The short answer is nothing is happening.

The long answer is that there's an election coming up so various politicians are going public with plans that they'll seek to get federal funding for in a bid to get votes. None of those plans are realistic, none of them would fit the city's needs anyway, and none of them are a realistic chance of happening.

The only interesting thing that is happening is that the Liberals, or rather Zed Seselja, are pushing for an upgrade to Viking Park in Wanniassa to build it into a 10k seat boutique stadium instead of pushing for a new stadium in Civic.

It's a very cynical political move in that he knows the Civic stadium is literally no chance at this point, but he might be able to get a boutique stadium off the ground in his constituency, which the city needs anyway, so it's a win-win from his point of view. I've got no doubt that he's getting some kickbacks from the Vikings as well.
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7657962/canberra-needs-a-stadium-plan-not-a-war/?cs=14280

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
BTW, that's probably the thing that most people don't realise about Canberra in these discussions; basically all of Canberra's sports and entertainment infrastructure is as dilapidated as Canberra Stadium (if not worse) and needs upgrading or replacing.

On top of a major rectangular stadium the city desperately needs a new or upgraded arena, major oval, boutique rectangular stadium, ice rink, more basketball courts, more netball courts, investment into motorsport infrastructure, upgrades to the theatre, and much more.

Problem is that because of a handful of things (white elephant light rail system, mister fluffy that was a federal mistake, covid, general poor management, etc) the ACT simply can't afford to build most of it, and won't realistically be able to for at least a decade and a half, if not longer.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
time to vote that afl loving rabbit out of office then
Won't happen, and it wouldn't make an ounce of difference even if he was voted out.

Honestly the only way Canberra gets a new stadium before 2035 is if there's major Federal intervention, but that will almost certainly never happen so long as the Liberals are in power, and is unlikely to happen even if Labour wins.

The short answer is nothing is happening.

The long answer is that there's an election coming up so various politicians are going public with plans that they'll seek to get federal funding for in a bid to get votes. None of those plans are realistic, none of them would fit the city's needs anyway, and none of them are a realistic chance of happening.

The only interesting thing that is happening is that the Liberals, or rather Zed Seselja, are pushing for an upgrade to Viking Park in Wanniassa to build it into a 10k seat boutique stadium instead of pushing for a new stadium in Civic.

It's a very cynical political move in that he knows the Civic stadium is literally no chance at this point, but he might be able to get a boutique stadium off the ground in his constituency, which the city needs anyway, so it's a win-win from his point of view. I've got no doubt that he's getting some kickbacks from the Vikings as well.
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7657962/canberra-needs-a-stadium-plan-not-a-war/?cs=14280

so what 10k seats for the W league games, Vikings Rugby

who else would play there?

TheRam

Coach
Just using a recent example of a refurb rather than rebuild. Its still leaves a lot to be desired for sure and needs a new West major corporates stand and roof putting on the rebuilt South stand. Capacity is a bit low at 21.5k as well, ideally it would be up around 25-27k which I reckon is the perfect NRL sized stadium for most clubs. The view from the new east stand is amazing though with a serious pitch putting you right on top of the action. Compared to the shocking stadium it used to be the $120mill spent has made a world of difference.

I've used it as an example as in many ways with the lower bowl layout it is similar to what is being proposed at Manly except Manly is proposing two smaller main stands rather than the one big one built at hbf.

What other designs of a refurbed stadium do you prefer?

This guys youtube channel covers most stadiums in the world and there are may that we could model our stadiums on. All depends on size and cost.

mongoose

Coach
BTW, that's probably the thing that most people don't realise about Canberra in these discussions; basically all of Canberra's sports and entertainment infrastructure is as dilapidated as Canberra Stadium (if not worse) and needs upgrading or replacing.

On top of a major rectangular stadium the city desperately needs a new or upgraded arena, major oval, boutique rectangular stadium, ice rink, more basketball courts, more netball courts, investment into motorsport infrastructure, upgrades to the theatre, and much more.

Problem is that because of a handful of things (white elephant light rail system, mister fluffy that was a federal mistake, covid, general poor management, etc) the ACT simply can't afford to build most of it, and won't realistically be able to for at least a decade and a half, if not longer.
Canberra and the Fed govt showing the rest of the country and the world it is not a real city or community, just a government camp out.

TheRam

Coach
Also this company is very interesting. It seems to have created a stadium build model that looks good and is a flat pack and quick build. I don't know what the coast are though.

Colk

First Grade

Perth Red

Post Whore
M
Also this company is very interesting. It seems to have created a stadium build model that looks good and is a flat pack and quick build. I don't know what the coast are though.

Manly aren’t getting a new stadium though, it’s a refurb on what’s existing, which is a ver different scenario and design issue.

TheRam

Coach
M

Manly aren’t getting a new stadium though, it’s a refurb on what’s existing, which is a ver different scenario and design issue.

Then what they are doing is as good as it gets and a much better experience for spectators and people watching on tele. I really couldn't watch Manly or Cronulla anymore play at home unless it was the one or two times a year that they had near full house crowds with atmosphere or they were playing Parra. But this year I am looking forward to watching games played at both venues. It makes a huge difference atmosphere wise. I hate half empty parks(not stadiums) with grassy hills, especially night games in winter with poor lighting like Brooky had. Looks and feels like I am watching 3rd or 4th tier amateur sport. Shocking and not for me. Switch...Netflix time.

We need more all seater boutique stadiums from 5000K-30000K everywhere.

TheRam

Coach

'We need first-class sporting facilities': Raiders, Brumbies still want Civic stadium​

1647564804195.jpeg

The Canberra Raiders and ACT Brumbies hope a new stadium in Civic is still the main sporting infrastructure priority despite a new push to build a 10,000 seat venue in Wanniassa.

Liberal Senator Zed Seselja is lobbying for an upgrade at Viking Park, which could cater for men's and women's soccer and rugby union, as well as filling a mid-sized gap in the Canberra venue market.
But federal funding for the project would likely directly compete with the ACT government's desire to build a new 25,000 capacity stadium in Civic.

Neither proposal has funding attached to what have been described as "thought bubbles", while the AIS Arena is still shut with no plans to reopen despite the Canberra Capitals being forced to move finals games to Tuggeranong this season.

But an expected tight Senate election battle in Canberra has reignited the stadium conversation, with Raiders coach Ricky Stuart backing the plans to improve Canberra's sporting facilities but lamenting a lack of action.

"We need as many first-class sporting facilities as we can possible have in Canberra," Stuart said.

"...I don't know where we're all at with [a Civic stadium]. It doesn't look like there's very much momentum in regards to a new stadium here, which is disappointing because we're the capital city of Australia and we've probably got the worst stadium.

"The [Canberra Stadium] surface is as good as any surface we play on, but we do need a new complex, a new stadium, convention centre, something for Canberra in the middle of the city.

"It's all been said before, it just needs action."

Brumbies coach Dan McKellar added: "A new stadium is going to change the city. Not for the Raiders, the Brumbies or an A-League team. It just brings events.

"It would change Canberra for the positive, for the years to come. You look at the great stadiums of the world ... it's not just a game of footy, it's an experience and an event.

"It's a no-brainer, if I was a politician, the one thing I'd be wanting to do would be to leave a legacy and that's a pretty big legacy."

Seselja has been working with the Vikings Group to fund a major redevelopment of the rugby fields, with plans for new grandstands and facilities and a view to hosting professional and semi-professional sport.

Viking Park was already home to Canberra United for the A-League women's season, while the Canberra Vikings played their National Rugby Championship games at the venue.

The ACT government said it would consider co-funding the Viking Park project if it was given a business case.

"As far as the ACT government is aware, there is no funding agreement from the Commonwealth to upgrade Viking Park and there are no confirmed commitments from the Liberal Party" a spokesperson said.

"Any co-funding arrangement for infrastructure investment between the Commonwealth and the ACT government would be required to go through a standard budget process.

"We would need to see more detail on the proposal. If the business case stacks up, it could be considered in future ACT budgets."

The ACT government has spent the past decade working on plans to move away from Canberra Stadium at Bruce, and did a feasibility report last year on new site options at Civic and Exhibition Park.

But there has been no funding commitment and the timeline has been regularly pushed back, with ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr citing the Mr Fluffy expenses, the light-rail project and COVID-19 costs as reasons for delays.

The Federal government is also yet to make a decision about the future of the AIS precinct, which includes the arena and the stadium.

The arena was closed two years ago because of safety issues and there are no plans to reopen it for events even after it stops being a COVID vaccination hub.

*************************************************************************************************************************

Imagine if something as good as that in the picture with roof were ever to be built in Canberra. It would become a must every year to go to every time they played Parra. Would be an awesome venue and if at Civic location.

hrundi99

First Grade
The problem with Brookie was not only the ground but its location (and that’s the problem with a lot of Sydney grounds). It’s an absolute pain to get to.

Unless you fix the latter by making it more accessible to public transport and greater parking, then crowds aren’t going to increase much

It's literally on the main road with a bus stop out the front. There is plenty of street parking around Brookvale. This is the Northern Beaches.

What else do you want?

Colk

First Grade
It's literally on the main road with a bus stop out the front. There is plenty of street parking around Brookvale. This is the Northern Beaches.

What else do you want?

Northern Beaches is a pain in the arse to get to. Ideally the stadium would be on the North Shore line.

Perth Red

Post Whore

What else do you want?
Buses are hardly a good public transport option when youre trying to move 14k people!