What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I always thought that it was basically done because they didn't want Rugby League to be represented twice.

1× Rugby League
1x Soccer
1x Rugby Union

To fit that mould they picked a RL player who played for Roosters and Souths to avoid offending either team.

Any additional RL player would have the soccer and union people whinghing.

Still can't believe they asked for the AFL's input.
This seems a bit rough on Ron Coote, who's somewhat of a legend in his own right.

Apparently the government intervened and Beetson will have a stand named in his honour.

Apparently the government intervened and Beetson will have a stand named in his honour.

The Sydney Morning Herald have an update which partly contradicts that. Ayres has intervened over the Garrsion stand naming, but it is not confirmed the stand will be named after Artie (source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/sports...all-stadium-stand-fiasco-20220315-p5a4vu.html) -

Sports minister Ayres steps in to stop football stadium stand fiasco​

By Andrew Webster

March 15, 2022 — 3.48pm

NSW Sports Minister Stuart Ayres has shot down plans to call one of stands at the new Sydney Football Stadium “The Garrison” – but insists no decision has been made on calling it after rugby league Immortal Arthur Beetson.

Venues NSW and its so-called Heritage Trust have come under heavy fire for snubbing the two-time Roosters’ premiership-winning captain on one of the stands at the $850 million arena.

While the names of rugby league legend Ron Coote, Socceroos great Johnny Warren and former Wallaby Sir Nicholas Shehadie deserve their place, the decision to call one stand “Garrison” in reference to the British Army troops who used the precinct in the 1850s has been widely condemned.

Reports surfaced earlier today that the state government had stepped in and renamed the stand after Beetson, but Ayres contacted the Herald to insist this wasn’t the case.

He did reveal, however, that the “Garrison” name had been rejected.

“I have told Venues NSW that we won’t be accepting the recommendation that one of the stands be called ‘The Garrison’,” Ayres said. “I will now meet with Venues NSW to discuss the next step. I have no intention of going one by one through these names. We will sort out who the final set of names will be and will announce them properly and in a dignified way that’s reflective of the people and their contribution.”

It would surprise if Beetson was not named instead, although Ayres revealed he had told Venues NSW to come up with six potential names for the stadium.

It opens the door for the likes of female sporting icons such as Betty Cuthbert and Marjorie Jackson to be honoured, as well as the likes of rugby league supercoach Jack Gibson and those from other codes.

“We will increase the number of names recognised at the venue,” he said. “We have naming capacity for eight, which I think is overkill, but six is absolutely doable. Two on each side, and one on either end. Given everything that’s happened, I’m not going to dawdle on this. I don’t have to reinvent the wheel here. It doesn’t look like there’s been a lot of interaction or guidance last year.”

Heritage Trust chairman Maurice Newman has come under heavy fire for his role in the grandstand fiasco, having said Beetson “didn’t make the cut” because he’s a “Queenslander”.

Hailing from Roma, Beetson played most of his career in Sydney and represented NSW 18 times before the State of Origin concept was introduced for interstate football in 1980.

The stadium is due for completion later this year with the round 25 clash between the Roosters and South Sydney set to be the first match played.

big hit!

Bench
There's literally a quote in the article explaining that he didn't make the cut because he's a Queenslander.

Which, let's face it, is true. He has a statue outside Suncorp, no?

If he's a Qlder, then why are they considering erecting a statue for him?

The Trust chairman is going to say that, isn't he? He's not going to come out and say it's because we're trying to improve the commercial viability of the joint. As soon as they put Artie's name up there, they're making it a Roosters Stadium in NRL. Ideally, they'd like multiple NRL tenants and South Sydney are the other realistic option based on geography. And once again, let me present exhibit A - Mr Ron Coote.

big hit!

Bench
It is a massive disgrace and Big Artie should have been the first stand name chosen ffs! No matter what they do from here on in bar reversing this ridiculously massive cockup, it will mean stuff all and can't make up for their historic ruining arse holeness. They are just a colossal bunch of agenda driven losers and everyone can see it.

I loved Artie as a kid and a big reason why I followed RL even though I was an Eels supporter and I'm sure there were thousands of kids that felt the same. If there is a better legend that played his best footy at the Roosters I haven't seen him.

Well, you provided the reason it's not, in your own post.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
I know he is not generally liked, but this opinion piece by Andrew webseter in the Sydney Morning Herald I think sums up the problem with the naming of one of the stands at the new SFS as the "Garrison" stand after British soldiers used the area as a barracks in the 1850s, let alone the snub to Artie Beetson and many other Australian rugby league and sporting greats (source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/be...e-a-grandstand-after-him-20220314-p5a4iv.html) -

Call it the Barracks Stand then - I am assuming it's the stand at the Moore Park Rd end which has the all the controversy about it.

Why do all the stands need to be named after a person? Each major code that has history at the venue is recognised. Leave it at that. The final stand can be referenced by location / venue / history of the area.

Reactions: siv

Perth Red

Post Whore
Below i have a link to Brookvale Oval Master Plan. I am not sure how to upload images from that pdf file, especially pages 9 and 10. On page 9, it shows how Brookvale Oval will be built in 4 stages and page 10 has an image of what the venue looks like.

Looks like a plan, but where's the funding coming from?manly1.jpgmanly2.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cheers, thank you for uploading.

Funding? I guess from the same place where they got funding for the COE northern grandstand- the state government.
Be good if some of the left overs after Penrith stadium has been costed go to the two main grandstands built. Design is similar to the rebuild of nib stadium in perth with the lower bowl all way round then the stands built above so there's a concourse you can walk around. Similar to Canberra as well. At Perth the concourse runs under the main stand and theres food and toilets etc in that space. Probably $150mill ish to do the two main stands Id have thought,

slide-nib-stadium (1).jpg

Steel Saints

Juniors
Be good if some of the left overs after Penrith stadium has been costed go to the two main grandstands built. Design is similar to the rebuild of nib stadium in perth with the lower bowl all way round then the stands built above so there's a concourse you can walk around. Similar to Canberra as well. At Perth the concourse runs under the main stand and theres food and toilets etc in that space. Probably $150mill ish to do the two main stands Id have thought,

View attachment 59078
Yeah looking at the plans, the lower bowl at new Brookvale oval will be wrapped around the ground and it will contain 13,000 seats. While with the eastern and western grandstands, each will have an upper tier of 3,500 seats, which brings total capacity to 20,000.

Remaining cost, just a guess, could range from $150 to $170 million. The southern grandstand could cheaper than the northern grandstand, as it doesn't have to incorporate a COE.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah looking at the plans, the lower bowl at new Brookvale oval will be wrapped around the ground and it will contain 13,000 seats. While with the eastern and western grandstands, each will have an upper tier of 3,500 seats, which brings total capacity to 20,000.

Remaining cost, just a guess, could range from $150 to $170 million. The southern grandstand could cheaper than the northern grandstand, as it doesn't have to incorporate a COE.
Only problem I can see with the design is the lower bowl where most of the seats are will have little or no roof coverage. The drip line will be well back from that lower bowl I suspect. The lower bowl at Nib would hold around 7000 and has same problem with no real protection in the rain, with the main stand (which would be about 85% covered by roof) built above it holds around 8000.

Probably a cost thing but a smaller bowl with a bigger back stand would have afforded greater weather protection.

TheRam

Coach

View attachment 59078

Mate I don't know why you have such a hard on for NIB stadium, it looks average at best and has looks like it has little value for corporate revenue. I would much rather other designs then that.

Iamback

Coach
Mate I don't know why you have such a hard on for NIB stadium, it looks average at best and has looks like it has little value for corporate revenue. I would much rather other designs then that.

Because even when RL is doing well, he needs to find fault.

I like that all the stadium plans we are seeing look different. Will give them a better feel when being use

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just using a recent example of a refurb rather than rebuild. Its still leaves a lot to be desired for sure and needs a new West major corporates stand and roof putting on the rebuilt South stand. Capacity is a bit low at 21.5k as well, ideally it would be up around 25-27k which I reckon is the perfect NRL sized stadium for most clubs. The view from the new east stand is amazing though with a serious pitch putting you right on top of the action. Compared to the shocking stadium it used to be the $120mill spent has made a world of difference.

I've used it as an example as in many ways with the lower bowl layout it is similar to what is being proposed at Manly except Manly is proposing two smaller main stands rather than the one big one built at hbf.

What other designs of a refurbed stadium do you prefer?

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
View attachment 59077

Basically the plan is the lower bowl of BankWest/CommBank with the upper tiers and roof from Central Coast Stadium.

I assume the detailed design for those upper tiers is still not set. IMHO it’d be a big mistake to not ensure rain cover to the fence and also not to prioritise corporate facilities on the upper west side. Leaving fans wet and miserable and/or corporates stuck in the ends and corners will cost the club down the line.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
View attachment 59077

Basically the plan is the lower bowl of BankWest/CommBank with the upper tiers and roof from Central Coast Stadium.

I assume the detailed design for those upper tiers is still not set. IMHO it’d be a big mistake to not ensure rain cover to the fence and also not to prioritise corporate facilities on the upper west side. Leaving fans wet and miserable and/or corporates stuck in the ends and corners will cost the club down the line.

Costs is probably why. COE would have fittings already so it is cheaper to run corporate boxes along that side then add extras

Latest posts