What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

mongoose

Coach
Yes NY has a population the size of Sydney and Brisbane put together, which are the most heartland areas the NRL has, and thats just one U.S city, add the other 49 states and we are extremely nićhe, so comparing Rugba leg to anything in america is plain stöõpid...
We are a better sport and better tv product, than the Gridion, its just they are never going to ever jump ship, due to how invested they are to their own countries code, much like trying to get Victoria to stop watching AFL, or NZ dropping RU for League... V'dog's right, cant waste efforts on rusted on AFL cities, when RL could get stronger in places they are not
I believe V'dog recently said Perth is a front runner for the 18th team

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ahh the whinging will be unbearable when NZ gets the 18th team
From who? Not from me. I gave up worrying about if the NRL would ever become national around 2013 when after breakfast with Grant it was clear it lacked any real vision for the game. Not much has changed in the intervening years so I have no expectation that Perth will be the 18th club. Not that I will stop advocating for it, but expecting it and therefore disappointed if we dont get it? nah way way over that.

Colk

First Grade

I think people should be wanting both a second NZ side and a Perth side and decide the 20th side between Adelaide or another Brisbane side.

But hey I just want the game to be as big as possible in NZ and Australia. I don’t know want other people want

Colk

First Grade
Yes NY has a population the size of Sydney and Brisbane put together, which are the most heartland areas the NRL has, and thats just one U.S city, add the other 49 states and we are extremely nićhe, so comparing Rugba leg to anything in america is plain stöõpid...
We are a better sport and better tv product, than the Gridion, its just they are never going to ever jump ship, due to how invested they are to their own countries code, much like trying to get Victoria to stop watching AFL, or NZ dropping RU for League... V'dog's right, cant waste efforts on rusted on AFL cities, when RL could get stronger in places they are not

Huh? AFL probably already have the base that they want in Sydney and Brisbane and the reason is because they had the cojones to put sides in places which weren’t traditional areas.

The key isn’t being the biggest in every area (that is unlikely of any code in Australia), it is having a presence in every area that is worth it commercially

Perth Red

Post Whore
Huh? AFL probably already have the base that they want in Sydney and Brisbane and the reason is because they had the cojones to put sides in places which weren’t traditional areas.

The key isn’t being the biggest in every area (that is unlikely of any code in Australia), it is having a presence in every area that is worth it commercially
It staggers me people don't understand this! Mind you many people are incredibly insular so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

Iamback

Coach
I think people should be wanting both a second NZ side and a Perth side and decide the 20th side between Adelaide or another Brisbane side.

But hey I just want the game to be as big as possible in NZ and Australia. I don’t know want other people want

Redcliffe are struggling to get players now. They atleast have junior pathways in place.
Perth would struggle even more.

Need to get the junior development back on track before Perth.

Colk

First Grade
Redcliffe are struggling to get players now. They atleast have junior pathways in place.
Perth would struggle even more.

Need to get the junior development back on track before Perth.

Firstly, that is encapsulates the problem with RL pathways. Without a team in that area or something to aspire to, how are you ever going to produce enough players, particularly when you would have to move interstate for a start. You need to put a side in there first and in the interim you have a draft or something similar until such time as you produce the players in that area.

Secondly, Perth outstrips any other potential area without a side within Australia or New Zealand commercially by a massive distance and that is why they should be picked. And that is something that some league supporters just don’t understand - money is the most important thing. The most important brands in Rugby League are the Melbourne Storm and the Brisbane Broncos for that very reason - they bring more money and support than any other club

Colk

First Grade
How many professional teams are in Townsville? Or Newcastle hell even Wollongong.
Having an NZ team brings in more than an Adelaide team would

Firstly, I’m for another side in NZ. The benefits of rivalry and competing with rugby union. Again, however, you are thinking of areas that already support the game. Attracting new supporters is more valuable than saturating existing support.

It's Been Done

Juniors
I was at the SCG on Friday Night and had a little peek into what is now known as Allianz Stadium from the top level of the Noble-Bradman Stand. It's actually quite close to the back of the SCG, in fact, the two members areas will be linked via a walkway outside the ground. I also saw that the signage has started to be installed but they'll have to change it in what will be the Arthur Beetson Stand as it still refers to the Garrison Stand

MugaB

Coach

8 million people want P.N.G
....yeah you know me
world without cam.gif

Iamback

Coach
Firstly, that is encapsulates the problem with RL pathways. Without a team in that area or something to aspire to, how are you ever going to produce enough players, particularly when you would have to move interstate for a start. You need to put a side in there first and in the interim you have a draft or something similar until such time as you produce the players in that area.

Secondly, Perth outstrips any other potential area without a side within Australia or New Zealand commercially by a massive distance and that is why they should be picked. And that is something that some league supporters just don’t understand - money is the most important thing. The most important brands in Rugby League are the Melbourne Storm and the Brisbane Broncos for that very reason - they bring more money and support than any other club

No 2nd tier footy has set it back. It will fix up across the next couple of seasons

MugaB

Coach

Im not being critical about AFLs efforts on expansion or their national footprint, just stating that Australian Football codes and its population comparing it to America and its Football codes and population

Colk

First Grade
No 2nd tier footy has set it back. It will fix up across the next couple of seasons

Are you referring to Perth or rugby league junior pathways in general? Or more precisely, are you referring to the grades directly below first grade or the structures beneath that?

Oh god, you didn't think this once through did you. No surprise considering your attempt to be an expert at cities you dont live in.

New York city has 8 million plus people!

Metlife stadium has 28,000 car spaces and has a train station right next to it.

Getting 75k people to attend 8 games a year per team is hardly a feat. Having been to games at those stadiums and baseball games in NY the trains are super easy and doesn't take long what so ever to get there.

Plus enough car spaces to cater for a third of their average crowds.
One of the dumbest posts I've seen on here.

I brought up NYC because some one blamed traffic congestion for Sydney's low RL crowds. NYC is the world's third most traffic congested city.

A few months ago I was chastised by @MugaB for saying Sydney has poor transport. Now I'm chastised by you because apparently there aren't enough trains in convenient locations in Sydney!

So which is it?

Great transport or shit transport?

Why don't you just swallow your pride and admit that Sydney doesn't have enough rugby league fans to support nine clubs?

It's got nothing to do with trains or trams or monorails or car parks any other bullshit excuse used by apologists for Sydney's low RL crowds. The Swans average more than any Sydney NRL club, despite its fans having to use the same transport that you're blaming for poor RL crowds!

Sydney has 5.3 million people, FFS. It's not "8 million plus", but it's not that far off it. I'll add Sydney (5,361,466) is bigger than Melbourne (5,159,211), which puts a huge hole in your stupid argument about NYC's larger population making its NFL attendances incomparable to Sydney's nine NRL clubs. Melbourne's four largest AwFuL clubs draw massive crowds to their games.

Richmond 59,987

Collingwood 58,975

Essendon 47,733

Carlton 46,730

There's two teams in NYC, not one. NY Jets averaged 79,088 and Giants 80,495. Combined, that's 159,583 people paying to see two teams play sixteen games a year.

Melbourne's four largest AwFuL clubs draw a combined average attendance of 213,425.

How does that compare with Sydney's nine NRL clubs?

Parramatta 18,396
Sydney 17,251
Western Sydney 15,867
South Sydney 15,601
Canterbury 15,274
Manly 13,777
Penrith 12,482
Cronulla 12,224
St George 9,813

Combined, all of Sydney's clubs are drawing an average of 130,685 people to their games. That's 82,740 less than Melbourne's four largest AwFuL clubs and 28,898 less than NYC's two NFL clubs. The combined average for Melbourne's two largest AwFuL clubs is 118,962, which is almost as much as all nine of Sydney's NRL clubs. The three largest AwFuL clubs from Melbourne average a combined total of 166,695, which is more than NYC's NFL clubs.

Last edited: