What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dragons are far more likely to move their Sydney games to the new SFS IMO than play all games in Wollongong.
Yeh but if they are smart about it they could still offer a 5 or 6 game Sydney membership and take 9 games to the gong justifying a stadium upgrade and better engaging the community there. Also having just got off the train from Wollongong to airport it’s an easy trip from kogorah to win on the train as long as games are on at a reasonable time.

if they can play roosters and souths (presuming souths move there) at sfs and have a reciprocal membership agreement it boosts crowds to 4 games and gives Sydney dragons fans 4 games. Then play the Cronulla game there and you have a 5 game membership and still can take nine games to win. They could even work with smc and get a game at bankwest against eels or tigers included in the membership.
This is where clubs and the nrl could work together and get much smarter in their game allocations, memberships, reciprocal agreements when stadiums have redundant capacity and draw scheduling,

Tiger Shark

Bench
It’s used for six games of professional sport per year.

If the Dragons were a full time Wollongong team there might be an argument for it. But it’s hard to justify as is.

I don't disagree with that, in fact I agree with it but what does that say for the Leichardt oval upgrades?

Will Tigers play more games there, or will other teams/games use it like Union, NRLW, A League etc ?

Sharks will atleast play all games and push for an NRLW team out of Shark Park

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We've had another request for a Stadiums sub forum.

If there is any support/interest from members could you please post your support here so we can get an idea of the support it may receive?

Cheers

Valheru

Coach
Yeh but if they are smart about it they could still offer a 5 or 6 game Sydney membership and take 9 games to the gong justifying a stadium upgrade and better engaging the community there. Also having just got off the train from Wollongong to airport it’s an easy trip from kogorah to win on the train as long as games are on at a reasonable time.

if they can play roosters and souths (presuming souths move there) at sfs and have a reciprocal membership agreement it boosts crowds to 4 games and gives Sydney dragons fans 4 games. Then play the Cronulla game there and you have a 5 game membership and still can take nine games to win. They could even work with smc and get a game at bankwest against eels or tigers included in the membership.
This is where clubs and the nrl could work together and get much smarter in their game allocations, memberships, reciprocal agreements when stadiums have redundant capacity and draw scheduling,

I mostly agree with what you are saying here although I don't believe the dragons would ever fully abandon Kogarah either.

The wider idea of reciprocal member access rights at the SFS is a no brainer though, especially between roosters and souths. That fixture should never draw below 25k again and it wouldn't if always played at the new ground with reciprocal rights.

As far as roosters go I would like to see reciprocal rights with souths and dragons at the venue at a minimum and possibly wests as well. That would give the roosters 3 'away' games at the SFS and allow them the opportunity to solidify their presence on the CC with 3 home games yearly ongoing and then 1 or 2 games at other venues like Perth for example.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't disagree with that, in fact I agree with it but what does that say for the Leichardt oval upgrades?

Will Tigers play more games there, or will other teams/games use it like Union, NRLW, A League etc ?

Sharks will atleast play all games and push for an NRLW team out of Shark Park
Or penrith tbf. If they are going to spend $300mill for 11 games there then $50mill for 6 games at win doesn’t seem so bad. Not that any of that matters, the stadium funding decisions are clearly being based on political motives rather than what’s best for the sport and community.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I mostly agree with what you are saying here although I don't believe the dragons would ever fully abandon Kogarah either.

The wider idea of reciprocal member access rights at the SFS is a no brainer though, especially between roosters and souths. That fixture should never draw below 25k again and it wouldn't if always played at the new ground with reciprocal rights.

As far as roosters go I would like to see reciprocal rights with souths and dragons at the venue at a minimum and possibly wests as well. That would give the roosters 3 'away' games at the SFS and allow them the opportunity to solidify their presence on the CC with 3 home games yearly ongoing and then 1 or 2 games at other venues like Perth for example.
That’s a great idea for the roosters as well. Given we will soon have a lot of the Sydney clubs playing out of new nsw govt stadiums with redundant capacity the reciprocal rights agreements are no brainers. A 30-50k stadium with 25-30k fans of both clubs creating an atmosphere is very achievable in that scenario And would also drive fully ticketed membership numbers As they would be much better value.

Dugtrio

Juniors
100% this, any stadia located out of the CBD/City are would be ludicrous and have minimal to no transport links. The strength of Melbourne's stadia is that its all located in the same precinct (and is easy to get to from the whole of Melbourne)

I also agree that the A-League stuffed up by putting three clubs in Melbourne and Sydney both, I wouldn't be suprised to see that league contract in a few years.

I think that the Western United "privately" funded stadium is a pipe dream and unlikely to ever eventuate. As you said there little suburban ground will likely suffice, but would not be anywhere near suitable for NRL.
Gippsland is slated to host rugby 7s at the 2026 comm games - this wouldn’t be a bad spot for Storm to bring games If the stadium has some sort of permanent legacy. I think this would be a better option than taking matches to suburban Melbourne areas like Cranbourne or tarneit.

It's Been Done

Juniors
It looks like there's new blue seats in the Southern Stand at WIN Stadium, might be seats released from Accor Stadium after the installation of the giant video wall there