What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

cinders7

Juniors
There are over 20'000 posts in this single thread, has there been any discussion amongst members here about creating a Stadiums sub-forum so it's easier for find & discuss developments?

Jamberoo

Juniors
So the latest on the Tarniet Stadium in Western Melbourne is that they are building a suburban soccer ground first (supposedly 5000 seat capacity) as a training ground and the Stadium will be built later (in a different location).

For mine, this Stadium never gets built, well at least not in its private funding arrangement as is now proposed

5K will be more than enough for them for all WU games except perhaps play v MV & MU @ AAMI. Soccer is dying here in Melbourne. 10 - 15 years ago Victory were easily the biggest non-AFL club in Melbourne. Much bigger than Storm. But since they added more clubs, the sport has been on the nose. Support was divided and then but disappeared. All the big internationals are in Sydney. The fall of A-League and BBL, show that it doesn't take much to stuff everything up. A second NRL club could well have the same effect on RL here.
In this town, to suggest a professional team base themselves anywhere other than in the city is pure folly. We are conditioned to going into the city for sports & events and our public transport system is not set up for travelling across town.

Canard

Immortal
5K will be more than enough for them for all WU games except perhaps play v MV & MU @ AAMI. Soccer is dying here in Melbourne. 10 - 15 years ago Victory were easily the biggest non-AFL club in Melbourne. Much bigger than Storm. But since they added more clubs, the sport has been on the nose. Support was divided and then but disappeared. All the big internationals are in Sydney. The fall of A-League and BBL, show that it doesn't take much to stuff everything up. A second NRL club could well have the same effect on RL here.
In this town, to suggest a professional team base themselves anywhere other than in the city is pure folly. We are conditioned to going into the city for sports & events and our public transport system is not set up for travelling across town.

100% this, any stadia located out of the CBD/City are would be ludicrous and have minimal to no transport links. The strength of Melbourne's stadia is that its all located in the same precinct (and is easy to get to from the whole of Melbourne)

I also agree that the A-League stuffed up by putting three clubs in Melbourne and Sydney both, I wouldn't be suprised to see that league contract in a few years.

I think that the Western United "privately" funded stadium is a pipe dream and unlikely to ever eventuate. As you said there little suburban ground will likely suffice, but would not be anywhere near suitable for NRL.

bazza

Immortal
Ok so been round win stadium today. I can see no reason why the grass hill can’t be replaced with a new main stand, it’s a long way from the dunes, theres already a partially constructed piece of a stand There and the depth of it would t be much more than the edge of the entertainment centre, putting to bed the notion that a structure can’t be built there. It’s a nice boutique stadium and a new main stand on the ocean side would turn it into a very nice 25k regional stadium indeed. Great location as well close to drinks and eating areas.
I am thinking the best they could get would be around a 20k all seater
southern stand needs replacing and there are no corners

Wb1234

Referee
That 800 million for Accor stadium is a total waste . It should be left as is for origins and grand finals

that money could be well spent on Wollongong being finished (dragons to play 9 home games there), Campbelltown (tigers 9 home games)

the remainder could be spent on a Bankwest type ground at belmore (they can use the park next door if they have too)

this would leave only Canberra needing its ground sorted.

this would be a much better result for rugby league. Accor is always going to be rubbish for club games but it’s ok for the big events

im shocked guy has already started agitating for this given his political clout

shewi6

Juniors
The 800mil for homebush was to be split between suburban grounds and 'improvements' (most likely a roof) at accor.
Honestly i was a big advocate for the original homebush plan (rectangular 70k seater), but i would be pretty happy if brookie gets its all seater upgrade and some more suburban grounds are improved.

Perth Red

Post Whore
To be fair they build a lot of apartment complex's the same distance from the beach along the coastline of eastern Australia. So no reason that a stand can't be built on that area unless there is something special about that location, which I doubt as the ends of both the north and south sides extend into that area as well. Don't let you hate for Perth Red stop common sense from being applied. I'm sure that the wind on a night game in the middle of winter coming off that ocean would stop a lot of families from coming once they have experienced it once. Really depends on the cost of doing that.
There isn’t, the foundation line for a stand would be a decent distance from the actual beach and as I Said the entertainment centre is only a few metres further inland than a stand would be. I can only assume it doesn’t yet have one there as no one has come up with the $50mil it would cost to build one,

a new east stand and capacity is up around. 25k with plenty of corporates which would see it set for the next thirty years plus

bazza why does southern stand need replacing? Looks ok from what I saw of it?

Dragons playing nine games there and 3 big ones against Cronulla, souths and roosters at sfs makes sense. then you could do reciprocal game agreemts with souths and roosters so dragons Sydney fans pay for a 3 game membership but get 5 games for it.

Wandering around Wollongong it was good to see how much support for the dragons there is.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
They never, ever get a full house at WIN. Why would anyone want it expanded?
They would if the dragons committed to the area. They’ve treated the area and the Steelers as an afterthought

given the billionaire owners are Illawarra guys it makes more sense to focus on that area.

Timbo

Staff member
It’s used for six games of professional sport per year.

If the Dragons were a full time Wollongong team there might be an argument for it. But it’s hard to justify as is.

Latest posts