What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Immortal
Its way down my list of world stadiums Id like to visit. I've got a park at the end of the road.
LO has only drawn one decent crowd avg in the 5 years (pre covid). Should be one game there in heritage round for the old farts and the rest in a decent modern venue befitting a premier sporting competition. Spending $60mill on it is a ridiculous waste of money.
Plastic stadiums are all the same. I’ve been to Wembley it’s a carbon copy of accor

I’ve been to the kc stadium it’s a smaller version of the old sfs

60 million will probably just get one stand done and maybe better toilets shops and corporate seats

and they probably will fix up the hole in the fence where we snuck in for free

Perth Red

Post Whore
Plastic stadiums are all the same. I’ve been to Wembley it’s a carbon copy of accor

I’ve been to the kc stadium it’s a smaller version of the old sfs

60 million will probably just get one stand done and maybe better toilets shops and corporate seats

and they probably will fix up the hole in the fence where we snuck in for free
Couldnt disagree more, the anticipation of the tube ride after a few beers in London and the thrill of walking down a packed wembley way (criminal they pulled down the twin towers!) , the buzz of Caxton street and the Bundy on optics at suncorp, the amazing light show and beer walk around the concourse at Optus, the noise bouncing off the roof at a derby game at KC. All stadiums have there special experiences, but yes stands and seats are stands and seats and there is a min expectation of a decent venue in terms of cover in the rain, toilets that dont require wellies, food that doesnt take half a game to get etc.

Wb1234

Immortal
Isnt the Giants out at Blacktown?
They got the Blacktown council to spend like 30 million then the players hated being in Sydney west since they live at breakfast point

then they got the nsw govt to spend another 30 million on fixing up the Showgrounds and got another 10 million to build their coe close by

the amount of tax payers money spent on a team with no fans is ridiculous

Wb1234

Immortal

Jamberoo

Juniors

Didn't know that. GWS train at Tom Wills Oval on the other (south) side of Olympic Park. The Blacktown experiment was a fiasco and a massive waste of council and state Govt money.

beave

Coach
There is only one of the wooden grandstands left, the other was demolished many years ago because of the termites, think they were both heritage listed but one was structurally unsound because of termite damage.
The Latchem Robinson Stand could do with a rebuild, as you said two tiered and have brand new corporate and broadcasting facilities. They can't do much on the hill side with the housing that backs onto it so the hill stays.

I disagree about the hill, there is a fair bit of room to put a stand, but there would be an outcry of greenies sooking about the trees having to be pulled down to accomodate it.

634DAA9B-83CF-4A5B-AF06-D337BF6C8998.jpeg

It's geographical location is beautiful on the eye but that's where it ends. It's a pain to get to, shit all parking and shit all public transport.

I disagree about the hill, there is a fair bit of room to put a stand, but there would be an outcry of greenies sooking about the trees having to be pulled down to accomodate it.

View attachment 61089

It's geographical location is beautiful on the eye but that's where it ends. It's a pain to get to, shit all parking and shit all public transport.
Looking at your pic, it makes me wonder how did it ever run the other way ?

siv

First Grade

View attachment 61089

Grand stand needs to be knocked down upgraded to modern standards

Its been around since the 70s

Wb1234

Immortal

View attachment 61089

Public transport has been fixed with the light rail station close by

horrie hastings

First Grade

View attachment 61089

There is housing at the back of the hill up to almost the 40 metre line at the south east part so doubtful whether they could put a Grand Stand there because of the blocking of natural light to the properties.

800px-Leichhardt_Oval_Football_Stadium_(7).jpg

wazdog

Juniors

The 114-year rivalry between rugby league’s fiercest foes has erupted again, this time over the right to use the spanking new $900 million Sydney Football Stadium.

The Sydney Roosters plan to use their high-powered board members and their influential connections to stop South Sydney from playing home games at the new venue when it opens in September.

It includes lobbying the SCG Trust, and taking their case all the way to NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet if necessary, in a dramatic bid to get the State Government to abandon moves to lure Souths to the SFS as co-tenants.

Whatever the result of this spat, the stadium is set for one of the most explosive opening matches when the Roosters and Rabbitohs go at it in a historic Round 25 match on September 2.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained a presentation the SCG Trust sent South Sydney back on August 19, 2020, outlining why the Rabbitohs should consider moving from Accor Stadium, their home since 2005, to the new Moore Park venue.

This, despite the Trust knowing Souths have a contract to play at Accor Stadium until 2030.

The Rabbitohs’ commitment to the Olympic Park precinct was made when the NSW state government planned to fund a redevelopment of Accor Stadium to transform the venue into a permanent rectangular facility.

Now, the Rabbitohs are unhappy at seemingly being left without a new venue in the aftermath of Sydney’s stadium funding battle, and will use it as a way to seek a release from their deal. The Daily Telegraph first reported Souths’ plans for a possible return to the city’s east on June 16 last year.

Privately, the NRL would be keen on Souths returning to the SFS but that won’t happen without a protest from their arch rivals. The SCG Trust will work to try and secure a resolution between the two parties.

Roosters powerbrokers say there is “no way” Souths should be permitted to play at the SFS, claiming it was their club which had provided enormous input into the new stadium and moved games to the Sydney Cricket Ground – and offices into demountables inside the nearby Entertainment Quarter – for four years during construction.

The Roosters argue that their club helped fund a new centre of excellence inside the SFS while Souths have their own high-performance centre being built at Maroubra. The Rabbitohs say the money the Roosters invested was part of a government grant.

“If Souths are allowed back then the Trust and Government will face a massive and relentless nightmare called Nick Politis,” a well-placed source told The Daily Telegraph.

“It would be preposterous if Souths went there. We have invested money, time and intellect into the stadium.”

The Roosters could offer something of an olive branch to their bitter rivals, saying they would be okay with the Rabbitohs playing their home game against them at the venue.

-SCG Trust chairman Tony Shepherd would not be drawn on the pitch to woo Souths, instead saying: “The Rabbitohs are long-term partners at Accor Stadium and have been bringing big events and big crowds to the venue for 17 years.

“They’re a great home team and have built a strong membership base throughout Greater Sydney on the back of the match-day experience at Accor Stadium.”

The Trust’s presentation to Souths, headlined “SCGT and South Sydney”, offers a vision about the advantages of playing at the SFS. It included highlighting its world-class facilities, the Rabbitohs’ history on the site, a map showing the geographical proximity to the club’s sponsors and leagues club, and how other teams have enjoyed substantial increases in crowd figures after moving into more modern facilities.

Roosters chairman Nick Politis is in Greece and was unable to be contacted, while South Sydney CEO Blake Solly preferred not to comment.

This is quite hilarious and childish from the Roosters.

It would be interesting to know how much of the $828m of construction costs the Roosters contributed to the development of the stadium? I'm pretty sure the number would be so small it would be a rounding error.

The club may have contributed their own funds to the adjacent centre of excellence, however, that has nothing to do the stadium contract. Further we have our own centre of excellence being built Heffron Park as part of a $58m development.

Blake Solly did respond and said it was quite ironic the Roosters are claiming the stadium is in their territory when at the same time the Roosters junior rep clubs train out of Matraville Sports High School.

I also think the Roosters forget to realise the Rabbitohs also have a reasonably high powered board as well.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore

Hahahaha!
They got the State govt and Blacktown Council to originally fund it, then ditched it within 2 years.
Then got the State Govt to gift them the golf driving range at Homebush and fund another one for them.
It is no wonder PVL is begging the state for funds when the ALF has been sucking our tits for years.
It is also the ALFS fault that Homebush is not now actually rectangular. They threw $10 million at the redevelopment after the Olympics to make sure sure it didn't happen and the NSW Govt fell for it.
A f**king disgraceful decision.

Colk

First Grade
They got the Blacktown council to spend like 30 million then the players hated being in Sydney west since they live at breakfast point

then they got the nsw govt to spend another 30 million on fixing up the Showgrounds and got another 10 million to build their coe close by

the amount of tax payers money spent on a team with no fans is ridiculous

Totally agree. Fumbleball are very good at greasing the wheels unfortunately

horrie hastings

First Grade
I think you need to have a look at google maps
again mate......

Quite deceptive from the air but there are houses that back on the boundary, probably not to the 40 metre line but almost the 30 metre line in that south east corner, there is basically a narrow walk way between the back of the houses and the fence of LO, granted though there are the huge stands of trees running from about the scoreboard location to the northern end of the ground.

Latest posts