What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Munky

Coach
Because those stadiums are in central locations which is accessible to the most amount of people. They not only service sport but they can also be used to bring in events. Thus they are going to be used throughout the year. This happens in every city: you put the infrastructure where it will be serviced by the most amount of people and something like the Roosters lack of popularity is purely coincidental: they are just fortunate to be where they are located.

Now Penrith and other areas adjacent to it will one day get a big stadium (probably shared with other tenants) to coincide with the infrastructure build up and the airport and overall the natural growth in that region (that is particularly the case if the 3 CBD idea of Sydney eventuates)

There will never be three true CBDs in Sydney.

Your high flying CEO and executives want to live in the East and North Shore.

No way they're commuting to Parra let alone Penrith.

Maybe a few satellite offices but no one's flagship office is moving from the 2000 post code.

forby

Juniors
Colk, sure you need good stadiums but why build a 40k stadium that will never be full?
And who says Moore Park is central and accessible to the majority of people. It suits the SCG Trust mob, but does nothing for anybody west of of the CBD.
And please enlighten me on who will ever be a second tenant in Penrith?

Colk

First Grade
There will never be three true CBDs in Sydney.

Your high flying CEO and executives want to live in the East and North Shore.

No way they're commuting to Parra let alone Penrith.

Maybe a few satellite offices but no ones flagship office is moving from the 2000 post code.

Define a true CBD. A CBD doesn’t have to have massive corporates. I agree that say companies dealing in the financial sector probably won’t move to that part of Sydney but if more than half of Sydney are living in the west part Parra and the area will be serviced by an international airport; there will need to be a business district and in a central location within that area

Colk

First Grade
Colk, sure you need good stadiums but why build a 40k stadium that will never be full?
And who says Moore Park is central and accessible to the majority of people. It suits the SCG Trust mob, but does nothing for anybody west of of the CBD.
And please enlighten me on who will ever be a second tenant in Penrith?

As I said earlier I think there will be a stadium built on the second airport line. It will be a fast metro line and it will service the areas of Penrith right down to Campbelltown. It would at least make sense.

Sydney has got to get away from this idea of putting stadiums in suburbs that are only accessible to those that live there. You need to build stadiums that are on major public transport route wherein people from surrounding areas can easily access these grounds. It’s the only way, along with better scheduling, that you can actually improve crowd averages.

forby

Juniors
Define a true CBD. A CBD doesn’t have to have massive corporates. I agree that say companies dealing in the financial sector probably won’t move to that part of Sydney but if more than half of Sydney are living in the west part Parra and the area will be serviced by an international airport; there will need to be a business district and in a central location within that area
But don’t build a stadium there! Spend it on a white elephant at Moore Park to keep the SCG Trust happy, spend money on a dump because the GPS play RU there, spend money on a privately owned ground, and spend money on the entitled north shore!
That sounds like a great plan Colk!!

Iamback

Coach
Pretty much although a league team wouldn’t be sharing with an AFL team. Get yourself another tenant and you’ll be fine.

To be fair a better option would be to build a stadium near enough to where the second airport will be built. You could share s stadium with the Tigers and maybe the Dogs

The part lost in this discussion is other events that will come in.
I am sure those people up the mountains or in the MacArthur or Hawkesbury would love cultural events close by

Colk

First Grade
But don’t build a stadium there! Spend it on a white elephant at Moore Park to keep the SCG Trust happy, spend money on a dump because the GPS play RU there, spend money on a privately owned ground, and spend money on the entitled north shore!
That sounds like a great plan Colk!!

Huh? The airport line won’t come into vogue for another five or so years. You could start pre planning I guess.

Look I get that you’re frustrated that Penrith might not get funding (it hasn’t actually been confirmed that they won’t) but Penrith’s location is a downside. Nobody else will use it.

Colk

First Grade
I am sure those people up the mountains or in the MacArthur or Hawkesbury would love cultural events close by

Exactly. You want a facility to service a number of areas. That is what a stadium built on a functioning mass transit system could do.

Munky

Coach

Public transport links.

They're pathetic out here. Richmond is ten minutes away by car but a joke by train.

Same with the rest of the geographically close areas.

Unless they build a toll road ring connecting the outer suburbs to cope with the daily influx of workers then not much you can do.

Colk

First Grade

Another thing I would add is because the airport is being built in that area they are going to have to really invest in that area i.e build things. They are going to want people to use that airport and stay in that area of Sydney.

Me wearing my optimistic hat thinks that this is a great opportunity for that part of Sydney and to readdress some of the lack of funding those regions have received. Same thing with the Hunter and the soon to be Newcastle international airport. Hopefully another international airport eventually goes around the southern part of NSW/ACT Canberra/Wollongong) for the further investment and expansion of those regions

Iamback

Coach
Exactly. You want a facility to service a number of areas. That is what a stadium built on a functioning mass transit system could do.

What use is picnic areas and stuff if no one lives in the area though?

The Penrith setup is way different. For starters there is rumoured to have a roof on the Stadium, Parklands, Eateries etc 10 mins from a train station and the M4.

Once WT made the decision to stay based in Concord it was never going to be out near the airport

Iamback

Coach
Public transport links.

They're pathetic out here. Richmond is ten minutes away by car but a joke by train.

Unless they build a toll road ring connecting the outer suburbs to cope with the daily influx of workers then not much you can do.

Hawkesbury is the worst, That area will benefit for some major events out west... Should the Stadium go ahead

forby

Juniors
Huh? The airport line won’t come into vogue for another five or so years. You could start pre planning I guess.

Look I get that you’re frustrated that Penrith might not get funding (it hasn’t actually been confirmed that they won’t) but Penrith’s location is a downside. Nobody else will use it.
So in your eyes Penrith will never deserve to get a stadium.
I am thinking that you are an entitled Roosters supporter who doesn’t think that anything should be spent west of Parramatta!

Colk

First Grade
Public transport links.

Isn’t that the purpose of the second international airport and the train link? Look like every political decision it was backwards (they were originally going to build the airport without a train line which would have made the second airport a true white elephant) but if the train line is going from St Mary’s to Campbelltown would that not solve some of those issues?

Colk

First Grade
So in your eyes Penrith will never deserve to get a stadium.
I am thinking that you are an entitled Roosters supporter who doesn’t think that anything should be spent west of Parramatta!

I’m not actually, I follow Canberra. I hate the Roosters. But the reality is that the government is not going to fund a whole swath of stadiums. Look Penrith still might go ahead but the reality is that s government more likely going to fund stadiums or infrastructure that is going to be used by multiple tenants and throughout the year.

Colk

First Grade
What use is picnic areas and stuff if no one lives in the area though?

The Penrith setup is way different. For starters there is rumoured to have a roof on the Stadium, Parklands, Eateries etc 10 mins from a train station and the M4.

Once WT made the decision to stay based in Concord it was never going to be out near the airport

Is anybody else going to use the facilities though? That’s the big thing against such an amount of money going to one stadium.

Iamback

Coach
Is anybody else going to use the facilities though? That’s the big thing against such an amount of money going to one stadium.

Well the river has a similar setup and is packed on weekends.

As for the Stadium. I was told concerts, Rodeos etc hosted there for the people that live in the mountains and the semi rural areas. Corporate areas and so on

Latest posts