What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Interestingly, NSW ALP have just announced $550m for Fairfield hospital if elected in March.

Penrith stadium has been costed at about $500m plus.

Seems to me NSW ALP are preparing to head to the election with a preference for health investment rather than NSW Libs preference to build a white elephant stadium in Penrith for $500m plus.

Not sure that’s gonna play well for the Libs in the current political climate. A football stadium v hospital hmm already seen how football stadiums v flood victims played out.
Springborg campaigned for a hospital when Bligh pledged to rebuild Cararra Stadium for the Suns. People voted in favour of Bligh.

Storm80

Juniors
Springborg campaigned for a hospital when Bligh pledged to rebuild Cararra Stadium for the Suns. People voted in favour of Bligh.
QLD ALP did lose 8 seats with a 4.67 swing against in the 2009 election.

As I said, in the current political climate in nsw it would be hard to go to the NSW election championing a new stadium for Penrith that’s only used by those west of Blacktown vs a hospital upgrade in Fairfield.

It’s not a vote winner in the rest of Sydney or NSW. Living east of parramatta, I couldn’t give two shits about Penrith getting a new stadium, especially not in favour of hospitals.

The NSW Libs lost 6 seats in 2019. A big reason for that was going ahead with the knock down and rebuild of SFS. And that’s a stadium that actually services the whole city, not just a few thousand west of Blacktown.

If they lose 8 seats like Bligh in 2009, they lose government, if they lose 2 seats they go into minority government.

Don’t be surprised if Penrith stadium becomes hot issue, especially when it’s Stuart Ayres pushing for it. Re-costings should be finalised soon and I’ve no doubt ALP is strategising to use it as a wedge during election campaign.

As I said, in the current political climate in nsw it would be hard to go to the NSW election championing a new stadium for Penrith that’s only used by those west of Blacktown vs a hospital upgrade in Fairfield.

It’s not a vote winner in the rest of Sydney or NSW. Living east of parramatta, I couldn’t give two shits about Penrith getting a new stadium, especially not in favour of hospitals.

The NSW Libs lost 6 seats in 2019. A big reason for that was going ahead with the knock down and rebuild of SFS. And that’s a stadium that actually services the whole city, not just a few thousand west of Blacktown.

If they lose 8 seats like Bligh in 2009, they lose government, if they lose 2 seats they go into minority government.

Don’t be surprised if Penrith stadium becomes hot issue, especially when it’s Stuart Ayres pushing for it. Re-costings should be finalised soon and I’ve no doubt ALP is strategising to use it as a wedge during election campaign.
Sydney won't be getting any more stadia. The grim reaper is coming for the small Sydney clubs that play out of shitholes on the outskirts of the metropolitan area. It's why they're demanding $5m on top of the salary cap to stay afloat.

The NSW Government is already in minority Government. Has been for over 12 months. It's been exacerbated by Gareth Ward, member for Kiama being suspended from parliament due to criminal charges which have been laid against him, and John Sidoti, member for Drummoyne being suspended fom parliament due to findings by the ICAC. The NSW Government only holds 45 seats in the 93 seat Legislative Assembly, with 1 of its members being the Speaker, which only gives them 44 votes out of a possible 91.

forby

Juniors
Sydney won't be getting any more stadia. The grim reaper is coming for the small Sydney clubs that play out of shitholes on the outskirts of the metropolitan area. It's why they're demanding $5m on top of the salary cap to stay afloat.
Penrith aren’t a small Sydney club, and quite rightly need and deserve a new stadium. The area has had no major infrastructure builds except for upgrades to the hospital in recent times. The current stadium has not been upgraded this century.

MugaB

Coach
Penrith aren’t a small Sydney club, and quite rightly need and deserve a new stadium. The area has had no major infrastructure builds except for upgrades to the hospital in recent times. The current stadium has not been upgraded this century.
Dont bother, this logan fool wants to cull everything that was ever nswrl, he don't give 2 shits about any stadia, as long as his bumkin cowboys are flush, he'd burn the rest.
Your just reasoning with a troll

Is Wayne Bennett the grim reaper?
We either let the grim reaper take the AIDS-ridden Sydney club to their grave now so the game can survive, or continue to pull money out of grassroots football and hamstring expansion so these failed businesses can delay the inevitable for a few decades and eventually take the entire sport with them to hell.

If we give in to them and increase the annual grant to the figure they're demanding then money will need to be siphoned out of grassroots football because we're getting little increase in our next broadcast deal, thanks to V'landys f**king up the negotiation process. Fumbleball now has more money to fund development at the junior level in Queensland and NSW. Registration costs for juniors in our game will spiral out of control while our main competitor will be signing kids up for a bargain. Expect fumbleball to make serious inroads in Queensland and NSW over the next decade.

Munky

Coach

Um, the Western stand got a major upgrade circa 05.

The only way they'll get one is if they pay for it themselves. They don't deserve anything from the tax payer when they're funded by pokies and have six other clubs waiting in line to demand a similar deal should PFS get a full rebuild by the NSW gov.

Two stadia have been built for Sydney clubs over the last 5 years. Expecting a third to be built is insane and shows how out of touch NSWRL fans are with reality.

Melbourne only has two stadia for its 8 AwFuL clubs.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Geez I hope Penrith goes ahead. If all Sydney ends up with after all the talk, bluster, changing of minds and failed commitments is Commbank and Allianz (2 clubs FT sorted) then it will be such a wasted cluster f**k and you'd have to ask what next for NRL clubs in Sydney. No wonder they are demanding an extra $5million to stay viable! God forbid they should have to earn their keep through attracting paying customers.

Mind you having driven regularly on Sydney roads this year more money to fixing potholes wouldn't go amiss! Its like being in India driving south from the city! I haven't seen such sht roads since I left England.

forby

Juniors
The only way they'll get one is if they pay for it themselves. They don't deserve anything from the tax payer when they're funded by pokies and have six other clubs waiting in line to demand a similar deal should PFS get a full rebuild by the NSW gov.

Two stadia have been built for Sydney clubs over the last 5 years. Expecting a third to be built is insane and shows how out of touch NSWRL fans are with reality.

Melbourne only has two stadia for its 8 AwFuL clubs.
Geelong's Kardinia Park is currently undergoing a massive redevelopment. It is like Penrith being an impractible distance to share the main stadia.

forby

Juniors
Um, the Western stand got a major upgrade circa 05.
It got a gymnasium, a function room, and about 100 seats, no of which is available to the public. It was built instead of a dual stand at the Southern end because of sewer pipe issues. Other than that it has nothing done to it this century.

Latest posts