What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

I think albo will and that’ll convince nsw govt to follow

Albo might, but the NSW Government? I don't think so somehow, not when the NSW Treasurer has said that they are looking at a multi-billion dollar deficit this coming financial year. After the brouhaha they kicked up over the rebuild of Allianz, they would be viewed as being hypocritical if they then put money into Leichhardt Oval.

Wb1234

Immortal
Albo might, but the NSW Government? I don't think so somehow, not when the NSW Treasurer has said that they are looking at a multi-billion dollar deficit this coming financial year. After the brouhaha they kicked up over the rebuild of Allianz, they would be viewed as being hypocritical if they then put money into Leichhardt Oval.
It’ll be part of the nsw govt deal to retain the gf long term

minns will change his tune once the memory of the election fades

they won’t let the gf go elsewhere

Pippen94

First Grade
According to reports on the radio, the plans to re-develop Leichhardt are estimated at over $100 million and are contingent on the Federal and NSW Governments providing the money. As such I suspect its very much a pipedream by the local council.

Funny government throws millions around for all types of studies they ignore but can't find money to upgrade frequently used community venue which is falling apart

TheRam

Coach
A couple of sketches put together in 10 minutes by Cox and Partners.
What a joke.
Just dump the place from the NRL altogether.
Massive increase in crowds this season has been due to the great game itself but also the better stadiums that the game is being played at more often.
While we are at it, dump Brookvale as well. That is as bad as Leichhardt.
Two horribly embarrassing grounds for the NRL.
As for Shark Park, I am speechless. It's barely good enough for NSW Cup.

I just can't believe people and even worse commentators can talk this up with a straight face. Where are the independent and logical thinking people in sports media that should be tearing this ridiculous proposal apart?

Like you said the 3 Sydney grounds that should never have NRL fixtures played at again are Shark Park, LO, and to a lesser extent Brooky, but I would also include Kogarah Oval in that group too.

How come no one ever brings up spending that $50-100m on Wollongong Stadium and building a massive rap around stand on the beach end connecting to the two end stands? Then committing the Illawarra Dragons to playing all but maybe 1 or 2 games there and for their Sydney fans playing those 1 or 2 home games at Allianz.

I would force the hand of all Sydney clubs with an edict. If you can't play in a minimum 20K covered all seater stadium within 2 years or have a signed contract approval for building to start with in 2 years, then the NRL will mandate where your home games are played. Failing to comply to this directive the NRL will withhold $2m dollars from your NRL grant money and every following season the NRL will withhold a further $1m up to a total of $5m.

This is the only way to drag these selfish myopic clubs and administrators into the 21 century and do it quickly. If they can't get the financing and approval to fit the stadium criteria and don't feel like they would be all that successful playing in stadiums that aren't in their very back yard and their crowds are adversely affected then they can apply to relocate and the NRL should be falling over themselves to help them in this with money inducements and offer them a choice of cities between Adelaide or Perth. I wouldn't offer Brisbane 3 or Christchurch because I feel the fans of these areas wouldn't take so readily to a former Sydney club moving in and would be much more accepting of a brand new franchise like the Dolphins have proven to be. First in gets to chose the city, either Perth or Adelaide.

Sounds harsh? No, just how a strong and professional sporting code should be doing business, not stagnating due to the inadequacies of the lesser clubs that will always remain that way due to guaranteed money grants unless pushed. Grow or die.

Pjf04b

Juniors
Penrith should still be the priority to get rebuilt.
Any extra funding should go to getting it built on the Paceway site not for upgrading LO.
Do they really think they can get it upgraded as per the pictures for less than $100 m?

Pippen94

First Grade
I just can't believe people and even worse commentators can talk this up with a straight face. Where are the independent and logical thinking people in sports media that should be tearing this ridiculous proposal apart?

Like you said the 3 Sydney grounds that should never have NRL fixtures played at again are Shark Park, LO, and to a lesser extent Brooky, but I would also include Kogarah Oval in that group too.

How come no one ever brings up spending that $50-100m on Wollongong Stadium and building a massive rap around stand on the beach end connecting to the two end stands? Then committing the Illawarra Dragons to playing all but maybe 1 or 2 games there and for their Sydney fans playing those 1 or 2 home games at Allianz.

I would force the hand of all Sydney clubs with an edict. If you can't play in a minimum 20K covered all seater stadium within 2 years or have a signed contract approval for building to start with in 2 years, then the NRL will mandate where your home games are played. Failing to comply to this directive the NRL will withhold $2m dollars from your NRL grant money and every following season the NRL will withhold a further $1m up to a total of $5m.

This is the only way to drag these selfish myopic clubs and administrators into the 21 century and do it quickly. If they can't get the financing and approval to fit the stadium criteria and don't feel like they would be all that successful playing in stadiums that aren't in their very back yard and their crowds are adversely affected then they can apply to relocate and the NRL should be falling over themselves to help them in this with money inducements and offer them a choice of cities between Adelaide or Perth. I wouldn't offer Brisbane 3 or Christchurch because I feel the fans of these areas wouldn't take so readily to a former Sydney club moving in and would be much more accepting of a brand new franchise like the Dolphins have proven to be. First in gets to chose the city, either Perth or Adelaide.

Sounds harsh? No, just how a strong and professional sporting code should be doing business, not stagnating due to the inadequacies of the lesser clubs that will always remain that way due to guaranteed money grants unless pushed. Grow or die.

Why?!

Pippen94

First Grade
Penrith should still be the priority to get rebuilt.
Any extra funding should go to getting it built on the Paceway site not for upgrading LO.
Do they really think they can get it upgraded as per the pictures for less than $100 m?

Penrith is nowhere used as frequently as Leichhardt

Timbo

Staff member

I have a good friend who works a Treasury - apparently 'Penrith Stadium' is now slang they throw around in the office for something that has a ridiculously poor cost-benefit analysis score.

Apparently it's not if but when the Minns government formally cans it.

Pneuma

First Grade

I agree with pretty much all of this although the 2 year deadline might be a bit difficult. Attending Shark Park I can only think of two times I’ve watched a game in comfort and where I got a decent view. Once was in the members and the other time was in the opposite grandstand where we got a decent seat. Apart from that it’s hit and miss whether you get to see the game without obstruction and in comfort. I went to the new Sydney stadium last year to watch the bunnies Sharks final and it really drilled home to me what a good stadium should be like. I’ve mentioned before I’ve bern to Leichhardt. It’s a bloody debacle getting there and those termite ridden seats are a feature. With crowds increasing and the game on a roll we need to present better on television as a professional sport.

TheRam

Coach
The Ram - big words from a club that has had 2 stadiums built for them with another down the road at Homebush!

That's right I am speaking from a position of fortune, strength, power and opulence.

Wouldn't it be great if you could too?

Wasting money on a sh*thole and thinking you have somehow caught up to the likes of clubs like mine is delusional. People will still hate that hole with its sh*tty little stands and uncovered seating and grassy wet hill, not to mention that ridiculous angled stand at the end and your crowds will never increase significantly enough to compete with the likes of me and my clubs powerful corporate boxes and connections.

As the years pass and by the mid century you will be a piss ant of a club playing out of a hovel and calling it a palace while the likes of Parra, Penrith, Souths, Canterbury and Easts are all loving life and thriving in their state of the art digs.

Haha...go that never ending amateur Tiger spirit!

Loser think, loser be. Forever!

Pneuma

First Grade
That's right I am speaking from a position of fortune, strength, power and opulence.

Wouldn't it be great if you could too?

Wasting money on a sh*thole and thinking you have somehow caught up to the likes of clubs like mine is delusional. People will still hate that hole with its sh*tty little stands and uncovered seating and grassy wet hill, not to mention that ridiculous angled stand at the end and your crowds will never increase significantly enough to compete with the likes of me and my clubs powerful corporate boxes and connections.

As the years pass and by the mid century you will be a piss ant of a club playing out of a hovel and calling it a palace while the likes of Parra, Penrith, Souths, Canterbury and Easts are all loving life and thriving in their state of the art digs.

Haha...go that never ending amateur Tiger spirit!

Loser think, loser be. Forever!
Now tell us what you really think!

Fangs

Coach
The suburban stadiums don't need upgrading, they have a charm that can't be improved upon. Wading through puddles of piss at Leichhardt or waiting 20 minutes for mid-strength beer is just part of the experience.

The funding will go into new stadiums in the same ilk as SFS or Bankwest.

Vibing

Juniors
The suburban stadiums don't need upgrading, they have a charm that can't be improved upon. Wading through puddles of piss at Leichhardt or waiting 20 minutes for mid-strength beer is just part of the experience.

The funding will go into new stadiums in the same ilk as SFS or Bankwest.
This

eventually without funding they'll be OH&S issues for patrons & be condemned & closed

TheRam

Coach
Now tell us what you really think!

I've been saying this type of stuff forever on this forum. Nothing new. Difference now though is that with the new fit for purpose stadiums that have been built people can now see and feel the difference first hand and they love their new surroundings.

Funny how so many just don't get new ideas or can't change old habits until it is literally made for them or forced upon them in some instances kicking and screaming.

I have many thoughts that would revolutionize our sport and on a wider scale our country Australia and even the world. Abundance, not scarcity. I have written about them on and off here in different threads depending on the topic. But as with the stadium topic, people just don't get it, and think I'm a Commie (which I am totally not and hate Communism as with Fascism to the bone) or think the ideas just won't work because they don't realise they have in the past.

But everything I speak about is based in real life examples and practicalities. From Economic systems, farming practices, Medical advances, Irrigating deserts, cheap power(energy) and so forth. Nothing I promote is just theory. But people don't get it because they don't believe wealth and abundance for all is possible or they just need it done before they can finally see it for themselves.

Unfortunately that is the world we live in, but the world is running out of time. I don't think we will make it to be honest.

Oh that just took a dark turn. I'll stop now.

Cheers

Fangs

Coach
This

eventually without funding they'll be OH&S issues for patrons & be condemned & closed

Well not too quickly I hope.

I still enjoy going to suburban grounds. Its just not realistic to be plunging money into these stadiums anymore.

Latest posts