What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Pneuma

First Grade
I've been saying this type of stuff forever on this forum. Nothing new. Difference now though is that with the new fit for purpose stadiums that have been built people can now see and feel the difference first hand and they love their new surroundings.

Funny how so many just don't get new ideas or can't change old habits until it is literally made for them or forced upon them in some instances kicking and screaming.

I have many thoughts that would revolutionize our sport and on a wider scale our country Australia and even the world. Abundance, not scarcity. I have written about them on and off here in different threads depending on the topic. But as with the stadium topic, people just don't get it, and think I'm a Commie (which I am totally not and hate Communism as with Fascism to the bone) or think the ideas just won't work because they don't realise they have in the past.

But everything I speak about is based in real life examples and practicalities. From Economic systems, farming practices, Medical advances, Irrigating deserts, cheap power(energy) and so forth. Nothing I promote is just theory. But people don't get it because they don't believe wealth and abundance for all is possible or they just need it done before they can finally see it for themselves.

Unfortunately that is the world we live in, but the world is running out of time. I don't think we will make it to be honest.

Oh that just took a dark turn. I'll stop now.

Cheers
With age comes wisdom mate. Something grossly under appreciated these days.

MugaB

Coach
One of the arguments that's always thrown around for hills is that 'kids and families love them!'

In my experience, nothing is further from the truth. Do you know what kids definitely don't love? Standing for two hours with someone much taller than them in front blocking the game.
Kids aren't watching the game... they are rolling around the hill, parents are watching the game moreso

Perth Red

Post Whore
This years attendance avg so far at suburban grounds in a season when crowds are flocking to the game:

Penrith 18.3k (arguably the best of the suburban stadiums)
Belmore 16.4k (1 game)
Leichardt 13.3k
Brooky 12.9k
Shark Park 11.1k
Kogorah 10.8k
Campbelltown 10.6k
Dolphin stadium 10k

New or developed stadiums
Suncorp 37.5k
Allianz 28.2k
NQ stadium 18.8k
Commbank 18.1k
Robina 18k
ANZ 17.5k
AAMI 16.9k

yep the fans sure do love the suburban grounds

MugaB

Coach
This years attendance avg so far at suburban grounds in a season when crowds are flocking to the game:

Belmore 16.4k (1 game)
Leichardt 13.3k
Brooky 12.9k
Shark Park 11.1k
Kogorah 10.8k
Campbelltown 10.6k
Dolphin stadium 10k

Suncorp 37.5k
Allianz 28.2k
NQ stadium 18.8k
Commbank 18.1k
Robina 18k
ANZ 17.5k
AAMI 16.9k

Missing GIO, McDonald jones, WIN and MtSmart btw, kinda showing your anti syd bias there pal..

Besides, most of those suburban grounds are only getting less than a handful of games, belmore, LO, CCS, kayo, these arent really worthy to take note of, as they aren't averaging from a seasons worth of home games, which is why when figures get thrown up for one off Adelaide or Perth games are shown, it's as if they are going to get that over 12 home games is a bit of a stretch...

Pneuma

First Grade
Missing GIO, McDonald jones, WIN and MtSmart btw, kinda showing your anti syd bias there pal..

Besides, most of those suburban grounds are only getting less than a handful of games, belmore, LO, CCS, kayo, these arent really worthy to take note of, as they aren't averaging from a seasons worth of home games, which is why when figures get thrown up for one off Adelaide or Perth games are shown, it's as if they are going to get that over 12 home games is a bit of a stretch...
Add in the fact ANZ is only reaching 21% capacity and it’s hardly a good comparison anyway.

ground zero

Juniors

Belmore 16.4k (1 game)
Leichardt 13.3k
Brooky 12.9k
Shark Park 11.1k
Kogorah 10.8k
Campbelltown 10.6k
Dolphin stadium 10k

Suncorp 37.5k
Allianz 28.2k
NQ stadium 18.8k
Commbank 18.1k
Robina 18k
ANZ 17.5k
AAMI 16.9k

Misinformation Dragons had 4 games at Kogarah so far at 12507 average

Pippen94

First Grade

Belmore 16.4k (1 game)
Leichardt 13.3k
Brooky 12.9k
Shark Park 11.1k
Kogorah 10.8k
Campbelltown 10.6k
Dolphin stadium 10k

Suncorp 37.5k
Allianz 28.2k
NQ stadium 18.8k
Commbank 18.1k
Robina 18k
ANZ 17.5k
AAMI 16.9k

Penrith stadium was built in late 80's dummy & beating most

Steel Saints

Juniors
I just can't believe people and even worse commentators can talk this up with a straight face. Where are the independent and logical thinking people in sports media that should be tearing this ridiculous proposal apart?

Like you said the 3 Sydney grounds that should never have NRL fixtures played at again are Shark Park, LO, and to a lesser extent Brooky, but I would also include Kogarah Oval in that group too.

How come no one ever brings up spending that $50-100m on Wollongong Stadium and building a massive rap around stand on the beach end connecting to the two end stands? Then committing the Illawarra Dragons to playing all but maybe 1 or 2 games there and for their Sydney fans playing those 1 or 2 home games at Allianz.

I would force the hand of all Sydney clubs with an edict. If you can't play in a minimum 20K covered all seater stadium within 2 years or have a signed contract approval for building to start with in 2 years, then the NRL will mandate where your home games are played. Failing to comply to this directive the NRL will withhold $2m dollars from your NRL grant money and every following season the NRL will withhold a further $1m up to a total of $5m.

This is the only way to drag these selfish myopic clubs and administrators into the 21 century and do it quickly. If they can't get the financing and approval to fit the stadium criteria and don't feel like they would be all that successful playing in stadiums that aren't in their very back yard and their crowds are adversely affected then they can apply to relocate and the NRL should be falling over themselves to help them in this with money inducements and offer them a choice of cities between Adelaide or Perth. I wouldn't offer Brisbane 3 or Christchurch because I feel the fans of these areas wouldn't take so readily to a former Sydney club moving in and would be much more accepting of a brand new franchise like the Dolphins have proven to be. First in gets to chose the city, either Perth or Adelaide.

Sounds harsh? No, just how a strong and professional sporting code should be doing business, not stagnating due to the inadequacies of the lesser clubs that will always remain that way due to guaranteed money grants unless pushed. Grow or die.

Stadiums like Win fall under the Venues NSW banner along with Newy, Commbank, Allianz, Accor and the SCG. Win Stadium and MacDonald Jones Stadium are in regional areas and are more likely to be prioritized over Sydney suburban grounds .

Perth Red

Post Whore

I didnt include them as they are regional grounds or not new stadiums. Old Suburbia v new stadium was the comparison made. Old suburbia just isnt cutting it. The fans are voting with their feet.

Pippen94

First Grade
I didnt include them as they are regional grounds or not new stadiums. Old Suburbia v new stadium was the comparison made. Old suburbia just isnt cutting it. The fans are voting with their feet.

Funny Penrith beating commbank & cowboys lol. Ur argument is rubbish

Vibing

Juniors
Parramatta haven't won a comp in 37 years , imagine if they were going for 4 GF's in a row & a 3peat of premierships
plus
not playing pretty much every game this season on a Thursday night or 6pm Friday
Commbank would be well ahead of Penrith

King-Gutho94

Coach
Parramatta have had 2 Thursday & 2 x Friday 6pm games this year.

Like wtf thought it was good idea to play Parra v Penrith on a Thursday night it only got 16k.

When Friday Night or sunday arvo game it would have been packed to the rafters like last year.

Parra v Penrith/Dogs/Tigers should be Sunday Arvo games don't waste local derbies on a Thursday Night.

Pippen94

First Grade
Parramatta haven't won a comp in 37 years , imagine if they were going for 4 GF's in a row & a 3peat of premierships
plus
not playing pretty much every game this season on a Thursday night or 6pm Friday
Commbank would be well ahead of Penrith

Old stadium fits same. New stadium irrelevant

westerntiger

Juniors
One of the arguments that's always thrown around for hills is that 'kids and families love them!'

In my experience, nothing is further from the truth. Do you know what kids definitely don't love? Standing for two hours with someone much taller than them in front blocking the game.
I think my post wasn't clear. I'm saying kids are the future of the game. Not hills.

Penrith should still be the priority to get rebuilt.
Any extra funding should go to getting it built on the Paceway site not for upgrading LO.
Do they really think they can get it upgraded as per the pictures for less than $100 m?

Why? Just because they won a couple of premierships does not necessarily mean kit deserves priority. The ground isn't owned by the NSW Government, so why basically should the one group who uses it professionally be the beneficiaries of such largesse?

LO won't get any money. Its just the council mayor trying to show he's doing something as Inner West Council, who own the ground, can't afford to do anything much to it.

Parramatta happened due to the number of professional organisations who used it. Even though I don't think it needed a full rebuild (you can find plenty of posts on this forum saying so), you can also justify the SFS rebuild on those grounds. Those ground owned by local councils are dilapidated as those councils didn't spend much money on them over the decades since they were built.

Fact is Sydney is a big city, but we are not going to see 6+ stadiums built to modern high standards along the lines of Allianz or Commbank as no Government, State nor Federal is going to have the billions of dollars necessary to do so.