What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Shark Park will emerge as the prestige stadium in southern Sydney integrated with shops, restaurants, hotels, and apartments by the water and a stone's throw from North Cronulla Beach.
Will it? The ground isn’t getting any update, just the surroundings. Has potential, but needs a whole lotta spend.

I think the spend would be worth it. The NRL need Cronulla to cement itself into that huge precinct and growingly affluent Sutherland peninsula much like a Geelong in AFL.

I just can't believe people and even worse commentators can talk this up with a straight face. Where are the independent and logical thinking people in sports media that should be tearing this ridiculous proposal apart?

Like you said the 3 Sydney grounds that should never have NRL fixtures played at again are Shark Park, LO, and to a lesser extent Brooky, but I would also include Kogarah Oval in that group too.

How come no one ever brings up spending that $50-100m on Wollongong Stadium and building a massive rap around stand on the beach end connecting to the two end stands? Then committing the Illawarra Dragons to playing all but maybe 1 or 2 games there and for their Sydney fans playing those 1 or 2 home games at Allianz.

I would force the hand of all Sydney clubs with an edict. If you can't play in a minimum 20K covered all seater stadium within 2 years or have a signed contract approval for building to start with in 2 years, then the NRL will mandate where your home games are played. Failing to comply to this directive the NRL will withhold $2m dollars from your NRL grant money and every following season the NRL will withhold a further $1m up to a total of $5m.

This is the only way to drag these selfish myopic clubs and administrators into the 21 century and do it quickly. If they can't get the financing and approval to fit the stadium criteria and don't feel like they would be all that successful playing in stadiums that aren't in their very back yard and their crowds are adversely affected then they can apply to relocate and the NRL should be falling over themselves to help them in this with money inducements and offer them a choice of cities between Adelaide or Perth. I wouldn't offer Brisbane 3 or Christchurch because I feel the fans of these areas wouldn't take so readily to a former Sydney club moving in and would be much more accepting of a brand new franchise like the Dolphins have proven to be. First in gets to chose the city, either Perth or Adelaide.

Sounds harsh? No, just how a strong and professional sporting code should be doing business, not stagnating due to the inadequacies of the lesser clubs that will always remain that way due to guaranteed money grants unless pushed. Grow or die.
That’s probably the most narrow minded comment I have heard from anyone. Typical it came from a Parramatta fan, one of the largest population centres in Sydney.

So you basically want the NRL to force the Sharks, Sea Eagles and Tigers to relocate and lose hundreds of thousands of fans.

That is not “growing” as you put it, that is retraction.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Will it? The ground isn’t getting any update, just the surroundings. Has potential, but needs a whole lotta spend.

I think the spend would be worth it. The NRL need Cronulla to cement itself into that huge precinct and growingly affluent Sutherland peninsula much like a Geelong in AFL.
The council has recently announced they want 22,000 new residences(includes high rise) in the Shire in the next 20 years.

The council has recently announced they want 22,000 new residences(includes high rise) in the Shire in the next 20 years.
Yeah, what a great idea. Let’s be relocating a club which is the sole top division professional sports team in a district which has one of the highest (if not still the highest) rates of junior and senior sports participation in the country, which is delivering a strategy to dramatically grow its population.

So what you are saying is that the Dolphin management are stupid for playing at a 10K stadium when they could be playing at a stadium that has a capacity of over 50K where they could get at least around 20K or more instead.

Well they obviously don't need the money or fans then.
How the f**k did you get that from my post.
all I did was highlight that using 10k fans at a 10 k ground was misleading….when it comes to fans not going to games due to old outdated stadia.
And it’s obvious why.

Regarding Dolphin management I’d guess that playing a few games at Dolphin oval was part of the deal with the Redcliffe Dolphins..
Nothing to do with stupid management .

Really needs a stadium upgrade though. Facilities there are as poor as you will find in Australian professional sport.

The club seems to have a pretty solid board of late. Something they’ve missed for a long long time.

taipan

Referee
Wow. Didn’t think it was growing that much
Trust me there are units piling up everywhere near the beach and other parts. Duplexes and townhouse approvals all over the place.Probably why the area has one of the biggest junior soccer comps, one of the biggest junior leagues, nearly 2k kids in surf club nippers, huge numbers in netball.

Colk

First Grade
Trust me there are units piling up everywhere near the beach and other parts. Duplexes and townhouse approvals all over the place.Probably why the area has one of the biggest junior soccer comps, one of the biggest junior leagues, nearly 2k kids in surf club nippers, huge numbers in netball.

Look I believe you. Just a little surprised that’s all

taipan

Referee
Really needs a stadium upgrade though. Facilities there are as poor as you will find in Australian professional sport.

The club seems to have a pretty solid board of late. Something they’ve missed for a long long time.

No argument from me on that mate.They will have 2 leagues clubs operating in the Shire, with nearly 3k people living almost next door to one, and recently purchased the Westpac building as an asset for the football club offices and merchandise.
I just wish the current mgt was around decades ago ,and we'd be laughing .

I
Is that right? Are those two red brick apartment blocks on the corner of Gerrale St and Surf Ln knocked over yet?

Wouldn’t want to live anywhere else in Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What makes most sense, spending $100mill on LO and $150mill on Campbelltown to get them Anywhere near nrl standard for 6 games a year each, or spending $300mill for a commbank quality stadium for tigers and dogs to share Hosting 24 games a year?

Sydney needs to get over its suburban fascination.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And here’s the back to back evidence. Eels game then followed by tigers game. It looks like we’ve gone down 3 divisions for the tigers game at Campbelltown lol

taipan

Referee
I

Is that right? Are those two red brick apartment blocks on the corner of Gerrale St and Surf Ln knocked over yet?

Wouldn’t want to live anywhere else in Sydney.
Yes sir the ones opposite the old Cecil pub are knocked down and a block for older people is being built and on the southern side of Surf Road a huge apartment block for the cash loaded ones. Then at the end of the Cronulla Mall another big unit development on the Kingsway where shop will be knocked down and these units built.Even the old Cronulla bowling club sold off land and have a new apartment block behind the parking station.New complexes just up from Nth Cronulla surf club being built facing the water, then another lot behind the Elouera surf club.
In every shopping centre in the Shire , Cronulla/Caringbah/Miranda/Gymea/Kirrawee/Sutherland/Engadine/Jannali units going up non stop.
People and young families want to live here .I've seen more young families near where I live than I've ever seen.
The BS about the Shire being a stagnant population is just that, cockie's crap.

Yes sir the ones opposite the old Cecil pub are knocked down and a block for older people is being built and on the southern side of Surf Road a huge apartment block for the cash loaded ones. Then at the end of the Cronulla Mall another big unit development on the Kingsway where shop will be knocked down and these units built.Even the old Cronulla bowling club sold off land and have a new apartment block behind the parking station.New complexes just up from Nth Cronulla surf club being built facing the water, then another lot behind the Elouera surf club.
In every shopping centre in the Shire , Cronulla/Caringbah/Miranda/Gymea/Kirrawee/Sutherland/Engadine/Jannali units going up non stop.
People and young families want to live here .I've seen more young families near where I live than I've ever seen.
Yeah, I haven’t lived there since 2019. We were on McDonald St. Those apartments right across from the park at Cronulla Beach were due to go up. There were the ones on Ozone, even the one near the Sailing Club was finally getting completed. The future looks very bright for the Sharks.

I always thought the club should be running events in the mall on match days.

Pneuma

First Grade
So tell me old mate as an old sharks fan from tassie am I now getting excited about a stadium upgrade? Because the current version isn’t inspiring for me to spend my hard earned and stand in the cold and hope they perform!

Latest posts