What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

TheRam

Coach
How the f**k did you get that from my post.
all I did was highlight that using 10k fans at a 10 k ground was misleading….when it comes to fans not going to games due to old outdated stadia.
And it’s obvious why.

Regarding Dolphin management I’d guess that playing a few games at Dolphin oval was part of the deal with the Redcliffe Dolphins..
Nothing to do with stupid management .

Jeez, read between the lines mate. It's called facetious sarcasm.

But the sentiment is true. It was always a stupid proposal from when they were suggesting it during the biding process. How anyone could think that taking games to a 10K stadium even if you own it is a great idea when you can play at a high end 50K stadium and thus potentially shutout tens of thousands of fans and loss of revenue is insane management from the Redcliff Dolphins.

Furthermore the ARLC should have seen this and demanded with clauses in their contract bid that they can't take games there unless the ARLC approves it due to extenuating purposes like if Lang Park isn't available.

See what I mean, clubs are stupid and when it suits them don't care about the game as a whole or the fans as much as they say they do. They just think of their little slice. That is why we need a strong and decisive ARLC that should be putting in demands and edicts in contract form to all clubs whenever they have the upper hand and power to to so.

Slow increments of power over the clubs is the only way we will ever get the game to do what is needed to move the game significantly in the direction it needs to go to realise its full potential. All I ever see is when clubs or players through the Players Association have an issue and are asking for the ARLC's help the ARLC eventually just comes to their aid or abides to their wishes without any formal contractual conditions and or demands from the game. At most they just agree on verbal promises which as we know amount to zilch in the end.

The ARLC has no idea how to use leverage when they have it over the clubs and the clubs play the Governing body off a brake because of it. I expected better from V'Landys, but it seems that he has a slap dash approach to his negotiating skills. Some things he gets right and other things he falls over on the details or doesn't have the killer instinct to extract the maximum result. This venture to Las Vegas, from what is being said will cost the game $50m a year. If true, WOW, just WOW!! That's a lot of Yankee $$$ that need to be captured to get a return. What could go wrong?

TheRam

Coach
That’s probably the most narrow minded comment I have heard from anyone. Typical it came from a Parramatta fan, one of the largest population centres in Sydney.

So you basically want the NRL to force the Sharks, Sea Eagles and Tigers to relocate and lose hundreds of thousands of fans.

That is not “growing” as you put it, that is retraction.

It's called tough love my friend. Just like when you deny a loved one a credit card due to their shopping addiction and put them on a manageable budget. To enable their flawed behaviour and actions would be to hurt them even further and the whole family will suffer in the long run.

The game needs to protect itself from weak and irresponsible family members otherwise it will wake up one day and realise its neighbours have added double and triple storey extensions to their homes and even bought all the real estate around them and added a whole bunce of unwanted condominiums.

Now I know this is a difficult pill to swallow when all you have known is the addiction of stupidity, but that is why interventions were invented and it needs to happen without your consent and as mercifully as possible. I'm not proposing that we take you out the back and shoot you in the head and be done with you forever. I am giving you options to either grow in your current form or stop living small and go out into the big world and grow like you never have or could in a very difficult and over congested market place.

It is something that a strong, courageous and savvy club board should be eager to embrace and take on as a very exciting new challenge. Not fear as so many have and do.

I know if my Eels were as weak and a sh*t resourced team that will always be on struggle street compared to the 8 or 9 powerful Sydney and out of town power clubs, I would welcome the chance of a brave and bright new beginning as a one club city team as long as they the colours and moniker stayed the same. What's the point in following a team that down deep most of its fans and supporters know that it will rarely ever rise to the top and be a power that can consistently play in the finals and win the occasional title?

Parra have now been privileged a brand new state of the art stadium, will have a brand new SOE that is currently under construction, a massive junior base that will only grow once the COE is up and running in the new region they have gone to that is also growing, a very stable administrative body that has finally got its eye on the ball so to speak, strong finances, it is also a city that is getting bigger and expanding all the time and is now the second largest business district, and overall they should be only getting bigger and bigger as the years go by. A premiership has eluded us, but if we keep going on this tangent, most would admit that we are a club that is going places and a title shouldn't be all that far away. Hopefully.

Whereas clubs like the Tigers for example are weak everywhere but their junior nursery. But by insisting that they stay based in the inner city(COE) while their juniors are out south-west way, play in no fixed address stadiums all over the place and have an administration that we all treat as sport and laugh at, they will never rise long enough or high enough to compete in the market of competitors that has way more then they will ever do. Sure they will have the odd successful year, but then the big clubs will come in when they need to fill a spot, like say Jahream Bula and make an offer to good to refuse. That is the way the world works and no matter how much wishful thinking you do won't change that.

Good Luck.

It's called tough love my friend. Just like when you deny a loved one a credit card due to their shopping addiction and put them on a manageable budget. To enable their flawed behaviour and actions would be to hurt them even further and the whole family will suffer in the long run.

The game needs to protect itself from weak and irresponsible family members otherwise it will wake up one day and realise its neighbours have added double and triple storey extensions to their homes and even bought all the real estate around them and added a whole bunce of unwanted condominiums.

Now I know this is a difficult pill to swallow when all you have known is the addiction of stupidity, but that is why interventions were invented and it needs to happen without your consent and as mercifully as possible. I'm not proposing that we take you out the back and shoot you in the head and be done with you forever. I am giving you options to either grow in your current form or stop living small and go out into the big world and grow like you never have or could in a very difficult and over congested market place.

It is something that a strong, courageous and savvy club board should be eager to embrace and take on as a very exciting new challenge. Not fear as so many have and do.

I know if my Eels were as weak and a sh*t resourced team that will always be on struggle street compared to the 8 or 9 powerful Sydney and out of town power clubs, I would welcome the chance of a brave and bright new beginning as a one club city team as long as they the colours and moniker stayed the same. What's the point in following a team that down deep most of its fans and supporters know that it will rarely ever rise to the top and be a power that can consistently play in the finals and win the occasional title?

Parra have now been privileged a brand new state of the art stadium, will have a brand new SOE that is currently under construction, a massive junior base that will only grow once the COE is up and running in the new region they have gone to that is also growing, a very stable administrative body that has finally got its eye on the ball so to speak, strong finances, it is also a city that is getting bigger and expanding all the time and is now the second largest business district, and overall they should be only getting bigger and bigger as the years go by. A premiership has eluded us, but if we keep going on this tangent, most would admit that we are a club that is going places and a title shouldn't be all that far away. Hopefully.

Whereas clubs like the Tigers for example are weak everywhere but their junior nursery. But by insisting that they stay based in the inner city(COE) while their juniors are out south-west way, play in no fixed address stadiums all over the place and have an administration that we all treat as sport and laugh at, they will never rise long enough or high enough to compete in the market of competitors that has way more then they will ever do. Sure they will have the odd successful year, but then the big clubs will come in when they need to fill a spot, like say Jahream Bula and make an offer to good to refuse. That is the way the world works and no matter how much wishful thinking you do won't change that.

Good Luck.
You talk like a NY Giants fan claiming NFL supremacy is near because of the size of the city they play out of.

You talk about performance, the Sharks have appeared in 15 seasons of NRL to Parramatta and they have won one more premiership than the Eels.

You talk as if Parramatta are a club with a tremendous following, yet they couldn’t even crack 22k or a 75% full stadium on a Saturday night against one of their traditional rivals.

Not all clubs are blessed to be based out of a full blown metro location. Not all could. Fortunately, that isn’t a pre-requisite for an NRL spot.

Just as fortunately as it is for you, that the requirement of a diligent and non-corrupt board isn’t a pre-requisite, otherwise the Eels would have been shipped off long ago.

Upgraded stadia really should be an high priority for the NRL and all suburban clubs. Just as having those stadia well within public transportable reach should be. Just cause you got yours, doesn’t mean the others shouldn’t get theirs.

TheRam

Coach
You talk like a NY Giants fan claiming NFL supremacy is near because of the size of the city they play out of.

You talk about performance, the Sharks have appeared in 15 seasons of NRL to Parramatta and they have won one more premiership than the Eels.

You talk as if Parramatta are a club with a tremendous following, yet they couldn’t even crack 22k or a 75% full stadium on a Saturday night against one of their traditional rivals.

Not all clubs are blessed to be based out of a full blown metro location. Not all could. Fortunately, that isn’t a pre-requisite for an NRL spot.

Just as fortunately as it is for you, that the requirement of a diligent and non-corrupt board isn’t a pre-requisite, otherwise the Eels would have been shipped off long ago.

Upgraded stadia really should be an high priority for the NRL and all suburban clubs. Just as having those stadia well within public transportable reach should be. Just cause you got yours, doesn’t mean the others shouldn’t get theirs.

Your are talking out of you arse. I want all clubs to play out of a state of the art stadium, but if they can't then they should look at moving to somewhere that they can grow and get that stadium and everything it will then provide from lager crowds, sponsorship fan bas and so on.

Don't misrepresent what I have said. I want all clubs to be strong and powerful. That is the way RL as a whole can grow and prosper. This is not swipe at the current lesser clubs. It is a desire to see the NRL dominate at all levels throughout the country. Staying put with no real prospects to grow is not the way to do that. That is old last century thinking be dumb administrators and stuck in the wool fans.

taipan

Referee
So tell me old mate as an old sharks fan from tassie am I now getting excited about a stadium upgrade? Because the current version isn’t inspiring for me to spend my hard earned and stand in the cold and hope they perform!
Unfortunately old champ until the club builds up some more cash in the till via the addition of their new upgraded Sharks Park leagues club it's going to be a long haul before something concrete is planned.I'd imagine the new club will get plenty of patronage with over 800 plus units surrounding them, and a shopping centre with Woolworths, Dan Murphys, another smaller supermarket like IGA, medical centre, shops, and other eating places.
Bear in mind the hotel being built will have travelling players and supporters ,plus tourists to the areas more people to use the club.
Whether they would use these assets as security to obtain a loan for ground improvements,I can't answer that one.
To be frank I wouldn't get excited short term ,obviously it must eventually happen can't keep freezing your nuts or getting April showers standing with the plebs and to add insult get beaten ain't appealing.I've been there done that, that's why I ended up with my Dad-in-law in the E.T stand.

taipan

Referee
Yeah, I haven’t lived there since 2019. We were on McDonald St. Those apartments right across from the park at Cronulla Beach were due to go up. There were the ones on Ozone, even the one near the Sailing Club was finally getting completed. The future looks very bright for the Sharks.

I always thought the club should be running events in the mall on match days.
McDonald street right near the beach near the Cote d'Sur unit block.That's now one expensive street.
Checked the Ozone ones again today they are huge look like 5 storey taking over 3 blocks in Ozone Street,ailing club one was in then doldrums for a while,developer went down the tube, new one took over.Looks pretty good, a decent restaurant underneath.
Said to a mate today, Gerrale Street is looking like the Gold Coast 20 years ago ,cranes everywhere.

taipan

Referee
It’s a bit of a joke that Cronulla did all that development of their stadium precinct and left their outdated old stadium barely touched in the middle of it all.
They were in debt ATT ,and not by a small amount .The issue was to get rid of the debt else they were up sh*t without a paddle.And that meant getting the loot ASAP. They did so by arranging with the development financial backer and the developers to renegotiate the original deal to sell of what would be the clubs share of units sales' profits for asn up front cash settlement.
Can't remember the exact figures but believe they got around $45m remembering they were previously paying down debt with unit sales profits for a period.
Debt was cleared leaving the league club with around $30m in the bank.With these proceeds they purchased the club at the Kareela Golf Club. showing profitability .New leagues club at shark Park already involved in earlier negotiations. I reckon they would have had mid $20m plus on hand to purchase Westpac's building, leaving about ........ TBA. on hand.
So they certainly did not have money to build a new stand and then prior to that the then Govt promised money toward the stadium, which they reneged upon.
So to a point it looks like a joke, but the club owes zero and can build on that especially as loan interest rates have jumped and they have no loans, but money to invest.
I doubt you will find a Shark's fan who doesn't want a better infrastructure.
But remember every other club with a you beaut stadium received massive Govt money assistance to build them, and not one owns their ground Dolphins would.
That's the reality and the clowns that say club A should move has had the Govt expenditure n their backyard, and as sure as heck they would be the last to want to relocate or move if they were not in their current position.

taipan

Referee
The Sharks purchased the Kareela Gold Club licensed premises for $4.6m.Yet what baffles me the independent valuation of the land was $12.7m .
The Westpac bldg a double storey ones purchased for $7.1m
They have already contributed $12m to the Sharks Park licensed club expected to be opened mid next year,abou as long as it took the Pyramids to build.
$9m debt already cleared.
Don't know what they have in the kitty now ,but d know the football club of later never depended on receiving big
amounts from the licensed club(pokies money),so that is a plus.

reanimate

Bench

Good Luck.
The Tigers still get a lot of players coming through from the traditional Balmain and old Wests’ areas. E.g. Holy Cross at Ryde has produced a number of NRL players.

TheRam

Coach
The Tigers still get a lot of players coming through from the traditional Balmain and old Wests’ areas. E.g. Holy Cross at Ryde has produced a number of NRL players.

Irrelevant if they can't hold on to them or are lacking other resources that make them as a whole a premiership threat.

One trick pony stuff.

reanimate

Bench
Irrelevant if they can't hold on to them or are lacking other resources that make them as a whole a premiership threat.

One trick pony stuff.
I’m just pointing out that it isn’t the case that the Campbelltown area supplies all their juniors. I agree that the split focus of the club isn’t working. Wests had only been in Campbelltown from 1987-1999 prior to the merger, they never really had enough time to build a strong bond with the area and the current set up of taking 4-6 games there a year is hardly working wonders.

Wb1234

Referee
lip stick on pigs
its the future I tells ya ............
A
What makes most sense, spending $100mill on LO and $150mill on Campbelltown to get them Anywhere near nrl standard for 6 games a year each, or spending $300mill for a commbank quality stadium for tigers and dogs to share Hosting 24 games a year?

Sydney needs to get over its suburban fascination.
Ok Einstein and where would that ground be lol

costs have gone way up since combbnak was built

So tell me old mate as an old sharks fan from tassie am I now getting excited about a stadium upgrade? Because the current version isn’t inspiring for me to spend my hard earned and stand in the cold and hope they perform!

better hit up the saudis for some sportswash cash. only way that's happening in the short term

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Yep it's there as a AFL finals backstop. He and Shepherd from the SCG were the flies in the ointment to get the ground reconfigured to a rectangular shape.May they spend the rest of their lives fumbling.

In 1997 and 1998, the AFL Commission loaned Stadium Australia $500,000 per year so that the stadium could be reconfigured into an oval in 2001.

So for the sake of a $1m loan .. that was paid back

NRL has been screwed for 25 yrs

Wb1234

Referee
In 1997 and 1998, the AFL Commission loaned Stadium Australia $500,000 per year so that the stadium could be reconfigured into an oval in 2001.

So for the sake of a $1m loan .. that was paid back

NRL has been screwed for 25 yrs
The lease on accor was also owned by an afl man

pretty sure it was that Fitzpatrick dude

he made a huge profit when the nsw govt bought it back early off him

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
The lease on accor was also owned by an afl man

pretty sure it was that Fitzpatrick dude

he made a huge profit when the nsw govt bought it back early off him

Yeah, he was the AFL chairman for a fair while

Sometimes we are playing checkers v chess