What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Jamberoo

Juniors
I think its a non measurable so pretty much just opinion lol. But they have won Int prizes to back up the claim. I doubt there is another city in the world that hosts F1, a Tennis open and has a domestic comp with nine clubs in that same city avging 30k plus attendances?

'Overnight, we were crowned the SportBusiness Ultimate Sport City of the Decade at the 10 Year Anniversary Awards in Switzerland, confirming our claim as the world’s best city for sport.
The SportBusiness Ultimate Sport City Awards are the longest-running rankings of the world’s top sports hosts. We took out the one-off gong ahead of Berlin, London, New York and, of course, Sydney.
Melbourne is no stranger to the podium, winning the World’s Ultimate Sports City in 2006, 2008 and 2010 – and we’ve blitzed the field once more. Our city has been judged the 2016 Ultimate Sports City in the Large Cities category, and we’ve claimed the Best Venues category too.'

Yes, no one here cares about
Melbourne yet they spend 50% of posts taking about Melbourne. The same posters don’t care about AFL, yet continually post about AFL.

People in Melbourne simply don’t think about Sydney. It is a great place to visit sure, but aside from the fact that you couldn’t get a decent coffee there until ten years ago, and that you can’t spell ‘Gyros’ correctly, there is nothing wrong with Sydney. The media and politicians pull it out every now and then but no one here has any jealousy of Sydney. I bet if you went to Bigfooty you would not find dozens and dozens of posters going on and on and on, year after year after year, about how much they hate Sydney and Sydneysiders. It is simply not something that is on anyone’s mind here. Why the constant constant bagging? Do you need counselling? What has Melbourne ever done to you?

What does it have to do with future NRL stadiums?

jim_57

Staff member
Both can. Eden Park has a record attendance of 61240 for a rugby test. The Cake Tin has had over 37k.

Mt Smart may even be able to push 40k if they put large temp stands at both ends and the corners?

Best case scenario Auckland & Wellington get new 60/40k rectangular stadiums but probably not a great chance of that.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Mt Smart may even be able to push 40k if they put large temp stands at both ends and the corners?

Best case scenario Auckland & Wellington get new 60/40k rectangular stadiums but probably not a great chance of that.

You've raised an interesting point about Mt.Smart, and it's got me thinking. If Aus/NZ bid for the men's football world cup, could each country have one city where they could have two stadiums? Like Accor and Allianz in Sydney, which is currently happening at the WWC, while in Auckland there's Eden Park and Mt.Smart?

Is it possible?

jim_57

Staff member
You've raised an interesting point about Mt.Smart, and it's got me thinking. If Aus/NZ bid for the men's football world cup, could each country have one city where they could have two stadiums? Like Accor and Allianz in Sydney, which is happening currently at the WWC, while in Auckland there's Eden Park and Mt.Smart?

Is it possible?

Good point, just did a quick search and most of Qatar’s stadiums were within a stone’s throw of each other around Doha. Russia had 2 in Moscow.

For countries like Australia & NZ with limited “big” cities they would have to allow Accor & Allianz at the very least. Not sure if Mt Smart could be pushed to 40k with a whole heap of temp seating but it wouldn’t be too far off, or they could just build/extend some new permanent stands.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

If Mt Smart was properly upgraded maybe- but it’d likely need a new permanent south stand that fully wrapped round the end to do that. I think the two main stands are currently only around 20k now. I don’t think you could get another 20k with temporary stands.

mongoose

Coach
Melbourne yet they spend 50% of posts taking about Melbourne. The same posters don’t care about AFL, yet continually post about AFL.

People in Melbourne simply don’t think about Sydney. It is a great place to visit sure, but aside from the fact that you couldn’t get a decent coffee there until ten years ago, and that you can’t spell ‘Gyros’ correctly, there is nothing wrong with Sydney. The media and politicians pull it out every now and then but no one here has any jealousy of Sydney. I bet if you went to Bigfooty you would not find dozens and dozens of posters going on and on and on, year after year after year, about how much they hate Sydney and Sydneysiders. It is simply not something that is on anyone’s mind here. Why the constant constant bagging? Do you need counselling? What has Melbourne ever done to you?

as a Queenslander who used to travel to both cities a lot for work, I found the Sydney vs Melbourne thing was usually pushed by people from Melbourne more so than Sydney... perhaps things have changed in the last few years though... I agree with you about this forum being too AFL obsessed.

Pneuma

First Grade

Our resident afl troll strikes again!

Pneuma

First Grade
as a Queenslander who used to travel to both cities a lot for work, I found the Sydney vs Melbourne thing was usually pushed by people from Melbourne more so than Sydney... perhaps things have changed in the last few years though... I agree with you about this forum being too AFL obsessed.
Mate every post this bloke writes references afl. He’s a hypocrite.

Canard

Immortal
Exhibit A against the claim nobody likes sitting on the hill.View attachment 77272Then again, if you prefer a soulless concrete stadium it's up to you
Quite frankly that looks f**king shite!

The playing field looks so far away, you might as well use binoculars. The viewing experience looks the equivalent of sliding down a 30 foot razor blade, with only your testicles used as brakes. (Slightly amusing, but mostly painful)

This is one of the best examples of how shitful an oval field can be.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can you please go back again on a cold and wet windy day when there is no Food and Beer Festival on?
Then post that photo.
Check out the huge crowd in the background lol At least those 4 fans didnt have to wait long for the one toilet available!

1690269782983.png

Wb1234

Immortal

Ah Melboring is better because they make better coffee

that will get all those international tourists wanting to visit at kilda beach instead of
Bondi

Last edited:

Latest posts