What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

azza29

Juniors

Nsw to lock in grand final for 20 years

so is it just Penrith new and the gong ?
Meanwhile the MCG has a lock on the AFL GF until 2058. A proper rectangular reconfiguration is all that stands been Accor and a similar deal.

But if the NRL can squeeze $10m out of NSW to host an event that was almost certainly going to be there anyway, good on them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure there is too many WWC 2023 games at that stadium. Hence why games are being played at a much smaller rectangular stadium. Same as Adelaide, and it's even more embarrassing for Australia's so called sporting capital who are only getting 6 matches and no critical games
The answer is quite obvious. The AFL have completely got their way as they didn't want the biggest tournament in the world this year upsetting their insular mickey mouse comp.
What a bunch of flogs they are.
First 4 days of the WWC month long tournament and almost over a quarter of a million people have attended.
The fear of the AFL is amusing, yet RL just carries on with no fear. We don't suffer the same paranoia.
Melbourne proved last Wednesday night (when over 50 000 turned out for the Matildas vs France match) that there is a massive demand in Melbourne for football. Yet they only offer up a CommBank sized stadium for such a massive tournament. That f**k of a city get what they deserve. They'd love to host the final of this world cup just to say they could host the largest crowd, but no, to them, St Kilda vs the Western Bulldogs is far more significant. Lol.
Over a billion people are watching world wide (claims are 2 billion but I don't believe that, but who would know? I do however believe the lower figure).
They'd all be looking at Melbourne and their claims of "sporting capital" blah blah blah and wondering why it is so self proclaimed.
Sydney and Brisbane are going to smash them with crowds. Melbourne can wank themselves silly over their 3 state competition that is irrelevant anywhere else in the universe.
Like I posted previously which of the games at Suncorp, Allianz or Accor do you think perth would have got of it had a 40k stadium? One of those three would have missed out. Id rather we didn’t spend a $billion for a 40k stadium we dont need for possibly one game every 50 years! Much better things Perth can spend it’s money on.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doesn't mean that it can't benefit us further into the future.
Actually, just say we won the 2034 WC bid, (which we won't) infrastructure would be built beforehand.
2026 WC needs 14 stadiums over 40k and 150 training centres. All stadiums have to have a decent sized airport near by, Australia just isn’t big enough to host a soccer World Cup In reality, we’d be lucky to be able to offer six 40k plus rectangular stadiums. Then we are left with a legacy of nrl games being played forever more in half empty, or worse, stadiums making game day atmosphere for club games even crapper. Just doesn’t add up for one event. If it was 30k size requirement it would be a different prospect, maybe.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nobody, absolutely nobody refers to Melbourne as the sporting capital of the world EXCEPT Victorians.
Most of whom have never set foot outside Victoria in their lives.

They've never been able to handle Sydney always being number 1.

The inferiority complex they have down there is hilarious.
Hmmm, F1, tennis, best attended sport in the country, biggest stadium in the country biggest fta audience for sport.
Sydney? Olympics 23 years ago. What else?
Sydney folk still think sitting on grass hills to watch professional sport is acceptable lol

jim_57

Staff member
2026 WC needs 14 stadiums over 40k and 150 training centres. All stadiums have to have a decent sized airport near by, Australia just isn’t big enough to host a soccer World Cup In reality, we’d be lucky to be able to offer six 40k plus rectangular stadiums. Then we are left with a legacy of nrl games being played forever more in half empty, or worse, stadiums making game day atmosphere for club games even crapper. Just doesn’t add up for one event. If it was 30k size requirement it would be a different prospect, maybe.

800px-Central_Stadium%2C_Yekaterinburg_%28August_2022%29_-_2.jpg

Just get some of these…

Perth Red

Post Whore
800px-Central_Stadium%2C_Yekaterinburg_%28August_2022%29_-_2.jpg

Just get some of these…
That’s a smart solution for places like perth and Adelaide. Not sure if want to be sat in those end seats though lol

if you could design ot to be 30k plus 10k extra at each end that can be removed you’d have 50k seats to sell and an eventual 30k stadium which‘d be perfect. Where the $20billion plus comes from to build them and everything else needed is another matter. And where you find 14 locations is another.

new accor 85k

extension to 60k for Suncorp and allianz

extension to 40k for
Aami
newcastle
nq
penrith (presuming it’s built)

new stadiums for
perth
Adelaide
ipswich

that still leaves 4 more stadiums needed. Ok if it’s joint bid with nz I suppose

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
That’s a smart solution for places like perth and Adelaide. Not sure if want to be sat in those end seats though lol

if you could design ot to be 30k plus 10k extra at each end that can be removed you’d have 50k seats to sell and an eventual 30k stadium which‘d be perfect. Where the $20billion plus comes from to build them and everything else needed is another matter. And where you find 14 locations is another.

new accor 85k

extension to 60k for Suncorp and allianz

extension to 40k for
Aami
newcastle
nq
penrith (presuming it’s built)

new stadiums for
perth
Adelaide
ipswich

that still leaves 4 more stadiums needed. Ok if it’s joint bid with nz I suppose

Canberra & Gold Coast options as well. I’d say as the capital Canberra would definitely be in the picture, Gold Cost as good a chance if not better than Townsville.

As for joint bid I’m pretty sure they are only taking combined bids from now on. Australia would have to partner with NZ and/or maybe Indonesia to get a look in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Canberra & Gold Coast options as well. I’d say as the capital Canberra would definitely be in the picture, Gold Cost as good a chance if not better than Townsville.

As for joint bid I’m pretty sure they are only taking combined bids from now on. Australia would have to partner with NZ and/or maybe Indonesia to get a look in.
Forgot canberra! So that three more needed. I guess they could go with singapore and jakarta for two more already built.

Bukowski

Juniors

The could have a joint bid with PNG and play games at Cairns

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Hmmm, F1, tennis, best attended sport in the country, biggest stadium in the country biggest fta audience for sport.
Sydney? Olympics 23 years ago. What else?
Sydney folk still think sitting on grass hills to watch professional sport is acceptable lol
Where did I even mention Sydney? I'm talking about Melbourne self proclaming to be the sporting capital of the WORLD. Which is complete nonsense. I can think of many cities all over the world equally as sports mad as Melbourne.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
I don’t really buy into the Melbourne vs Sydney nonsense, but I’m curious why you consider Sydney an automatic #1?
Sydney is by far our most iconic and well known city. When people all over the world think about Australia they immediately think Sydney. Most of them probably don't even know where Melbourne is.

80% of international visitors to Australia spend time in Sydney. I don't waste my time on the Sydney V Melbourne debate either but there is no argument on which city is more well known.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Where did I even mention Sydney? I'm talking about Melbourne self proclaming to be the sporting capital of the WORLD. Which is complete nonsense. I can think of many cities all over the world equally as sports mad as Melbourne.
I think its a non measurable so pretty much just opinion lol. But they have won Int prizes to back up the claim. I doubt there is another city in the world that hosts F1, a Tennis open and has a domestic comp with nine clubs in that same city avging 30k plus attendances?

'Overnight, we were crowned the SportBusiness Ultimate Sport City of the Decade at the 10 Year Anniversary Awards in Switzerland, confirming our claim as the world’s best city for sport.
The SportBusiness Ultimate Sport City Awards are the longest-running rankings of the world’s top sports hosts. We took out the one-off gong ahead of Berlin, London, New York and, of course, Sydney.
Melbourne is no stranger to the podium, winning the World’s Ultimate Sports City in 2006, 2008 and 2010 – and we’ve blitzed the field once more. Our city has been judged the 2016 Ultimate Sports City in the Large Cities category, and we’ve claimed the Best Venues category too.'

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Fair chance some of the new or redeveloped venues could be built with temporary seating to be removed post-tournament to bump some capacities up, even if it looks unsightly for the tournament. Hard to see us having many 60k+ venues still. Accor, MCG & Optus only current stadiums in Australia/NZ that size. Brisbane and/or Auckland may be a chance of getting to that.

Probably not the end of the world and a USA World Cup probably was a bit unfair to compare it to but definitely something that will affect the bid along with the use of cricket ovals.
Eden Park can hit 60K with added temporary seating, and Wellington can get to 40. No other venues in NZ will make the 40K FIFA minimum.

flippikat

Bench
Not sure where either of those stadiums could install temporary seating - particularly the Cake Tin.
Wellington's stadium can go from it's standard 34,500 capacity to 37,000 with temporary seating - but I can't recall it getting up to 40k for a footy game.

This article has a picture of temp seating configuration.

Latest posts