What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Immortal

Nsw to lock in grand final for 20 years

so is it just Penrith new and the gong ?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Nsw to lock in grand final for 20 years

so is it just Penrith new and the gong ?
So a one year deal, great we can look forward to this circus in 12 months time when it gets announced that nsw has locked in the gf again for another year lol

jim_57

Staff member
After the Women’s World Cup a refreshed FIFA WC bid would be interesting to see. In regards to how it could affect NRL clubs..

NSW:
Accor - 80k rectangular rebuild hopefully, doubt FIFA likes the idea of quarter/semi/final venues being all ovals or using “mid size” stadiums like Suncorp or Allianz.
Allianz - As is.
Newcastle - 40k upgrade would be pretty much guaranteed. An easy one since it’s already 33k and wouldn’t require a knockdown to increase capacity.

Queensland:
Suncorp - As is, if possible could get an upgrade to 60-65k but would cost a lot for a venue that is already FIFA standard.
Gold Coast - Potentially expanded or rebuilt to 40k but probably not ideal for club use going forward just to tick the FIFA box for one tournament. If Titans finally start doing well and averaging 20k+ it wouldn’t be so bad.
Townsville - As above but probably not as likely being a far smaller city than Gold Coast.

The rest:
Canberra - New Stadium 40-45k. Probably a good idea to design it so it can be cheaply/easily reduced to 30-35k once the tournament is done.

Melbourne - AAMI potentially upgraded to 40-50k but probably far more likely an exception would just be asked for to use Marvel in “rectangular” mode and/or MCG.

Auckland (Assuming joint bid) - Eden Park probably passes as is, potential for upgrade/ or new 50-65k stadium. Mt Smart unlikely to be upgraded.

Future potential NRL teams:
Perth - As with AAMI they could upgrade HBF or build a new 40k stadium but more likely an exception would be asked for Optus.

Wellington - Cake tin not too far off 40k, doubt they’d want to knock it down and build a new rectangular stadium but stranger things have happened. If NZ wants to be involved they probably have to.

Christchurch - New stadium won’t be big enough, doubtful they’d upgrade it any time soon. One of them or Wellington probably needs to be in if NZ want to be involved though.

Adelaide - Could see them being left out. If ovals are to be used MCG & Optus would probably get first picks, doubt FIFA would want too many. New rectangular stadium very unlikely.

Outside chances: Wollongong, Sunshine Coast, Ipswich, Hamilton, Dunedin, etc. Any of the above would have to be built to be reduced in capacity after the tournament or they’d become massive white elephants.

I think FIFA would probably want more 60k+ stadiums than we could ever realistically offer. The ‘26 World Cup for example 12 of the 16 venues are 67k or bigger and all but 2 are bigger than Suncorp.

Suitman

Post Whore

Not sure there is too many WWC 2023 games at that stadium. Hence why games are being played at a much smaller rectangular stadium. Same as Adelaide, and it's even more embarrassing for Australia's so called sporting capital who are only getting 6 matches and no critical games
The answer is quite obvious. The AFL have completely got their way as they didn't want the biggest tournament in the world this year upsetting their insular mickey mouse comp.
What a bunch of flogs they are.
First 4 days of the WWC month long tournament and almost over a quarter of a million people have attended.
The fear of the AFL is amusing, yet RL just carries on with no fear. We don't suffer the same paranoia.
Melbourne proved last Wednesday night (when over 50 000 turned out for the Matildas vs France match) that there is a massive demand in Melbourne for football. Yet they only offer up a CommBank sized stadium for such a massive tournament. That f**k of a city get what they deserve. They'd love to host the final of this world cup just to say they could host the largest crowd, but no, to them, St Kilda vs the Western Bulldogs is far more significant. Lol.
Over a billion people are watching world wide (claims are 2 billion but I don't believe that, but who would know? I do however believe the lower figure).
They'd all be looking at Melbourne and their claims of "sporting capital" blah blah blah and wondering why it is so self proclaimed.
Sydney and Brisbane are going to smash them with crowds. Melbourne can wank themselves silly over their 3 state competition that is irrelevant anywhere else in the universe.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
After the Women’s World Cup a refreshed FIFA WC bid would be interesting to see. In regards to how it could affect NRL clubs..

NSW:
Accor - 80k rectangular rebuild hopefully, doubt FIFA likes the idea of quarter/semi/final venues being all ovals or using “mid size” stadiums like Suncorp or Allianz.
Allianz - As is.
Newcastle - 40k upgrade would be pretty much guaranteed. An easy one since it’s already 33k and wouldn’t require a knockdown to increase capacity.

Queensland:
Suncorp - As is, if possible could get an upgrade to 60-65k but would cost a lot for a venue that is already FIFA standard.
Gold Coast - Potentially expanded or rebuilt to 40k but probably not ideal for club use going forward just to tick the FIFA box for one tournament. If Titans finally start doing well and averaging 20k+ it wouldn’t be so bad.
Townsville - As above but probably not as likely being a far smaller city than Gold Coast.

The rest:
Canberra - New Stadium 40-45k. Probably a good idea to design it so it can be cheaply/easily reduced to 30-35k once the tournament is done.

Melbourne - AAMI potentially upgraded to 40-50k but probably far more likely an exception would just be asked for to use Marvel in “rectangular” mode and/or MCG.

Auckland (Assuming joint bid) - Eden Park probably passes as is, potential for upgrade/ or new 50-65k stadium. Mt Smart unlikely to be upgraded.

Perth - As with AAMI they could upgrade HBF or build a new 40k stadium but more likely an exception would be asked for Optus.

Wellington - Cake tin not too far off 40k, doubt they’d want to knock it down and build a new rectangular stadium but stranger things have happened. If NZ wants to be involved they probably have to.

Christchurch - New stadium won’t be big enough, doubtful they’d upgrade it any time soon. One of them or Wellington probably needs to be in if NZ want to be involved though.

Adelaide - Could see them being left out. If ovals are to be used MCG & Optus would probably get first picks, doubt FIFA would want too many. New rectangular stadium very unlikely.

Outside chances: Wollongong, Sunshine Coast, Ipswich, Hamilton, Dunedin, etc. Any of the above would have to be built to be reduced in capacity after the tournament or they’d become massive white elephants.

I think FIFA would probably want more 60k+ stadiums than we could ever realistically offer. The ‘26 World Cup for example 12 of the 16 venues are 67k or bigger and all but 2 are bigger than Suncorp.

Given that the earliest tournament we could bid for is 2034, it's not likely to help the NRL this decade, I'm afraid.

Suitman

Post Whore
Given that the earliest tournament we could bid for is 2034, it's not likely to help the NRL this decade, I'm afraid.

Doesn't mean that it can't benefit us further into the future.
Actually, just say we won the 2034 WC bid, (which we won't) infrastructure would be built beforehand.

NSW:
Allianz - As is.

Queensland:

The rest:

That’s the main concern for me however, Qatar had only two 60k seater stadiums and the rest were 40k but then again, we don’t have their bribe muscle.

Also, Qatar had a demountable stadium made of shipping containers so we can build these anywhere and reduce capacity post cup. Long shot, I know.

jim_57

Staff member

That is true, by then some of those would be in different positions. Given the bidding process is well advanced for ‘30 with a host decided next year it won’t be too long before the process starts for ‘34 though.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Not sure there is too many WWC 2023 games at that stadium. Hence why games are being played at a much smaller rectangular stadium. Same as Adelaide, and it's even more embarrassing for Australia's so called sporting capital who are only getting 6 matches and no critical games
The answer is quite obvious. The AFL have completely got their way as they didn't want the biggest tournament in the world this year upsetting their insular mickey mouse comp.
What a bunch of flogs they are.
First 4 days of the WWC month long tournament and almost over a quarter of a million people have attended.
The fear of the AFL is amusing, yet RL just carries on with no fear. We don't suffer the same paranoia.
Melbourne proved last Wednesday night (when over 50 000 turned out for the Matildas vs France match) that there is a massive demand in Melbourne for football. Yet they only offer up a CommBank sized stadium for such a massive tournament. That f**k of a city get what they deserve. They'd love to host the final of this world cup just to say they could host the largest crowd, but no, to them, St Kilda vs the Western Bulldogs is far more significant. Lol.
Over a billion people are watching world wide (claims are 2 billion but I don't believe that, but who would know? I do however believe the lower figure).
They'd all be looking at Melbourne and their claims of "sporting capital" blah blah blah and wondering why it is so self proclaimed.
Sydney and Brisbane is going to smash them with crowds. Melbourne can wank themselves silly over their 3 state competition that is irrelevant anywhere else in the universe.
The same motherf**kers try and say that Fed Square has the most supporters watching the Olympics, RWC, FIFA mens, etc.

They don't give a f**k about anything when the AFL is on. When I was living in Melbourne I pretty much went to everything, and I noticed something really funny with my colleagues (the office was bustling, really crowded and fun vibe) and took all possible opportunities to continually expose their apparent "SPORTING CITY OF THE WORLD" tag as phony.

In summer they would apparently love tennis during the AO - like legit experts. "OMG I love Tsitsipas" they'd squeal - real tennis fans know that Tsitsipas is an absolute bell-end. Anyway, they didn't talk about tennis again all year, that same year Barty won the FO and the WTA finals. Barely spoken about.

They then raved about the Grand Prix - all experts that adored Daniel Riccardo. No mention of his efforts in a pleb Renault in Italy.

Next, Melbourne opened the NRL season against us, I took the Friday off - they had no idea that the NRL season was starting and were like "Oh lol, ok, enjoy that". They loved to let rip the next Monday after we lost - "Jesse Bromwich is the man" they mumbled - it was Kenny that scored the sealer. No mention of the Storm again until their AFL teams were bundled out.

One tried to tell me that the Melbourne 2006 comm games would be more impressive than the Tokyo Olympics. Bitch. WTF. Too many soy candles.

Suitman

Post Whore
The same motherf**kers try and say that Fed Square has the most supporters watching the Olympics, RWC, FIFA mens, etc.

They don't give a f**k about anything when the AFL is on. When I was living in Melbourne I pretty much went to everything, and I noticed something really funny with my colleagues (the office was bustling, really crowded and fun vibe) and took all possible opportunities to continually expose their apparent "SPORTING CITY OF THE WORLD" tag as phony.

In summer they would apparently love tennis during the AO - like legit experts. "OMG I love Tsitsipas" they'd squeal - real tennis fans know that Tsitsipas is an absolute bell-end. Anyway, they didn't talk about tennis again all year, that same year Barty won the FO and the WTA finals. Barely spoken about.

They then raved about the Grand Prix - all experts that adored Daniel Riccardo. No mention of his efforts in a pleb Renault in Italy.

Next, Melbourne opened the NRL season against us, I took the Friday off - they had no idea that the NRL season was starting and were like "Oh lol, ok, enjoy that". They loved to let rip the next Monday after we lost - "Jesse Bromwich is the man" they mumbled - it was Kenny that scored the sealer. No mention of the Storm again until their AFL teams were bundled out.

One tried to tell me that the Melbourne 2006 comm games would be more impressive than the Tokyo Olympics. Bitch. WTF. Too many soy candles.

They are a different breed. Seriously, so insular and suffer from small man's disease.
It's laughable.
The great thing is that this Woman's World Cup is larger than even we in Australia can grasp.

t-ba

Post Whore

God Willing

jim_57

Staff member
That’s the main concern for me however, Qatar had only two 60k seater stadiums and the rest were 40k but then again, we don’t have their bribe muscle.

Also, Qatar had a demountable stadium made of shipping containers so we can build these anywhere and reduce capacity post cup. Long shot, I know.

Fair chance some of the new or redeveloped venues could be built with temporary seating to be removed post-tournament to bump some capacities up, even if it looks unsightly for the tournament. Hard to see us having many 60k+ venues still. Accor, MCG & Optus only current stadiums in Australia/NZ that size. Brisbane and/or Auckland may be a chance of getting to that.

Probably not the end of the world and a USA World Cup probably was a bit unfair to compare it to but definitely something that will affect the bid along with the use of cricket ovals.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Nobody, absolutely nobody refers to Melbourne as the sporting capital of the world EXCEPT Victorians.
Most of whom have never set foot outside Victoria in their lives.

They've never been able to handle Sydney always being number 1.

The inferiority complex they have down there is hilarious.