What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Pneuma

First Grade
He is forgetting how greedy and corrupt FIFA is. Not sure they would knock back a semi in Melbourne with 105k for half that in Brisbane. Money talks.

Also, if ACCOR is rectangular then so is Marvel (moot point as not available in winter) and Optus (With the 5k drop in seats). MCG may well do drop in seats or a moveable stand when the Warne Stand is rebuilt around 2030 - they can afford it. Without the ovals Australia has just three suitable venues. Even if Canberra got a 40k stadium and a couple of others were expanded, MCG, Optus, Adelaide and possible the Gabba and Geelong would need to be included In any bid. Even then we would need to partner with NZ (currently one 40k stadium), or Indonesia, who have plenty of stadiums, most with athletics tracks, so not really rectangular either.
Comparing Accor to Marvel demonstrates you are an absolute dope. This discussion is about NRL stadiums. But as usual you just crap on about your preferred code and their ovals. What we need in Australia is suitable stadiums for rectangle codes to entice world class sporting events. That’s what this discussion is about. I’d suggest you should just post on the Big Fumbler site where you belong.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Shouting “but Accor” is the nifty get-out for AFL fans defending their ovals.

Accor gets a massive upgrade to host the final the minute we get a men’s soccer World Cup.

The important point is what are Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide doing about their shitty viewing ovals?

Those terrific fans in Perth tomorrow are getting jipped.

Pneuma

First Grade

Accor gets a massive upgrade to host the final the minute we get a men’s soccer World Cup.

The important point is what are Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide doing about their shitty viewing ovals?

That is the point but our little mate is always crapping on about the stadiums that suit his preferred code. This discussion is meant to be about ‘Future NRL Stadiums’, not why we should accept second rate stadiums for our great game.

Bukowski

Juniors

Perth is waiting for a team.

Suitman

Post Whore
I mean imagine Eels playing Raiders on a Saturday arvo, jump on a train in the morning and an hour and a half later smack bang in the city centre of Canberra and a few minutes after that sitting in a cafe/bar/restaurant and then an hour or two later stroll up and into a great new comfy all weather stadium. Then at full time and with a broad undying smile on my face after the Eels smash the Raider hit a bar or two on the way back for the pleasant return hour and a half train trip home,
You must be catching the imaginary High Speed Rail.
The current train trip from Central to Canberra Kingston is over 4 hours.
Strangely enough, so is the return trip.
Unless you live in Goulburn.

jim_57

Staff member
PNG hasn’t been touched on in this thread yet as far as I’ve seen. Their bid is apparently “the front runner” according to the media for team 18. I’ll believe it when I see it but this is currently their best stadium at 15k capacity.

png-national-football-stadium.jpg

I’d imagine if they get up this gets turned in to at least 25k capacity, probably more. How much that would cost and who pays for it I haven’t the slightest idea but that’s just one of the many unanswered questions surrounding their bid.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
PNG hasn’t been touched on in this thread yet as far as I’ve seen. Their bid is apparently “the front runner” according to the media for team 18. I’ll believe it when I see it but this is currently their best stadium at 15k capacity.

png-national-football-stadium.jpg

I’d imagine if they get up this gets turned in to at least 25k capacity, probably more. How much that would cost and who pays for it I haven’t the slightest idea but that’s just one of the many unanswered questions surrounding their bid.
You could fill the corners in and add more bays to the back of the stand in the foreground pretty cheaply. Wouldn’t worry about roofing it, Port Moresby doesn’t get a lot of rain and even when it does it’s still warm.

jim_57

Staff member
You could fill the corners in and add more bays to the back of the stand in the foreground pretty cheaply. Wouldn’t worry about roofing it, Port Moresby doesn’t get a lot of rain and even when it does it’s still warm.

Yeh it looks like you could get it to 25-30k pretty cheaply, it would be no frills but Port Moresby hardly needs anything fancy at this stage. Could extend the end stands and fill in corners like you say to make a neat bowl then potentially add another tier to one of the sideline grandstands.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
What marketing potential is there for sponsors by including a PNG team instead of, let’s say, Perth plus how attractive is it to TV networks?
For TV there’s zero real revenue potential there. Time zone is the same as QLD so scheduling makes little difference.
Sponsorship potential probably exists with the mining sector, but probably not as much as in Perth.
really it’s all about PR and making the game “international”

TheRam

Coach
You must be catching the imaginary High Speed Rail.
The current train trip from Central to Canberra Kingston is over 4 hours.
Strangely enough, so is the return trip.
Unless you live in Goulburn.

You obviously haven't read the proposed plan by David Pocock. It includes the trains which if done would be a trip from Sydney to Canberra or vice versa down to 1.5 hours.

I didn't say any of this would actually happen, but it would be brilliant if we as a nation embraced mega plans like this and actually executed them. No more Sydney Harbour bridges, Opera Houses or Snowy hydra schemes I'm afraid for this great nation only false starts or totally ballsed up inferior versions of what should have been built.

Like I said, I can dream.

t-ba

Post Whore
World Cup's a difficult sell financially out of a Europe Friendly time zone. The money is just there.

Like, there's three massive economies (China, India and Japan) and three big economies (SK, Oz and Indonesia), and only one of those has soccer as king. China's the real lost opportunity there, Basketball has just totally eaten soccer's lunch amongst the youth.

They'll probably just give it to Saudi Arabia and claim that's Asia done.

Last edited:
For TV there’s zero real revenue potential there. Time zone is the same as QLD so scheduling makes little difference.
Sponsorship potential probably exists with the mining sector, but probably not as much as in Perth.
really it’s all about PR and making the game “international”
Probably right but gives nothing for the NRL when negotiating the next deal which means, PNG ain’t pushing in ahead of Perth.

Timbo

Staff member
This is a decent atmosphere in Perth.

At a stadium which would only be used for week 2 and 3 semis for the NRL. For which it is fine, and nib Park would be a solid club ground.

Suitman

Post Whore
You obviously haven't read the proposed plan by David Pocock. It includes the trains which if done would be a trip from Sydney to Canberra or vice versa down to 1.5 hours.

I didn't say any of this would actually happen, but it would be brilliant if we as a nation embraced mega plans like this and actually executed them. No more Sydney Harbour bridges, Opera Houses or Snowy hydra schemes I'm afraid for this great nation only false starts or totally ballsed up inferior versions of what should have been built.

Like I said, I can dream.

Pocock will struggle to get the city stadium up, let alone high speed rail.
Keep dreaming buddy.

Latest posts