What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Marlins

Juniors
Genuine Question as I'm very new to this thread and do not want to go through almost 1500 pages worth of conversation;
Will the NRL ever gain enough funding to provide proper stadiums or upgrades for teams like:
- Rabbitohs (If they move from Homebush to Allianz then I'll be okay with it, if not they need their own)
- Bulldogs (Upgrades to Belmore to host 11 games)
- Tigers (Upgrade Campbelltown and keep Leichardt for an old boys day once a year)
- Sharks (Desperately needs grandstand extensions)
- Manly (add grandstands in place of the hill)
- Knights (Remove the hill seating with grandstands)

I know Penrith is being redeveloped which is awesome to hear.

I think I've just personally grown out of the whole suburban hill type of grounds? I know we may never see these teams get upgrades, but would be nice.
The NRL won’t ever provide money for stadiums.
- the Bulldogs own ground at Liverpool and apparently are interested in building a 40k-50k stadium there. No idea if they have the money.
- South’s are pushing for a return to SFS. Their contract with Homebush and venues NSW are preventing it atm. Hopefully they get back there next year.
- Tigers will never leave Leichhardt. Leichhardt will probably get minimum upgrades to stop from becoming a death trap. Not sure about Cambo. There was talk with McArthur FC about a potential refurb of Cambo a few years back.
- sharks own their ground and are unlikely to receive any Gov funding. Maybe a loan can see a new grandstand in the future.
- Knights ground will probably get an upgrade in the next 10-15 years. Unless we miraculously get a soccer WC or something.

Timbo

Staff member
Genuine Question as I'm very new to this thread and do not want to go through almost 1500 pages worth of conversation;
Will the NRL ever gain enough funding to provide proper stadiums or upgrades for teams like:
- Rabbitohs (If they move from Homebush to Allianz then I'll be okay with it, if not they need their own)
- Tigers (Upgrade Campbelltown and keep Leichardt for an old boys day once a year)

I think I've just personally grown out of the whole suburban hill type of grounds? I know we may never see these teams get upgrades, but would be nice.

Not even a small chance. You're talking about 1.5-3 billion dollars in funding depending on how extensive the upgrades are.

The government will point to grounds like Parra, the SFS and Homebush and say 'if you want an all-seater stadium, play in one of those three'.

Despite how cool they might be, stadiums typically aren't massive vote winners with the public. Especially at a time when the health and education systems are absolutely floundering.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Ridiculous suggestion.
Not nearly as ridiculous as suggesting Melbourne needs a 50k rectangular stadium. It would never, ever get used. Here is why:
- it would be way too big for Storm games that average 18k, or A League that averages 10k. Or Rebels games that average 8k. The atmosphere would be terrible, and it would be far les profitable for tenant clubs.
- for event games like SOO, Bledisloe, WC qualifiers, etc, they would still be played at the MCG, as 50k is too small. Do you really thing that the NRL would chose a 47k crowd over 87k For an Origin match? No, they will take the extra 40k and extra $4m+ every day of the week. Just like in Sydney the big events are at ACCOR, not SFS, which is only 40% bigger than AAMI.

More likely - if the MCC believe that Australia is a realistic chance to ever host a soccer WC, they will add moveable stands when they rebuild the MCG southern stand around 2030. Unlike every other stadium in Australia, the MCG generates enough revenue to pay for its own redevelopment. If there is an economic benefit from a rectangular mode (such as hosting the WC with 105k) they will do it. Southern Stand first, then the members in 2050.

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah, of course they'd need development approval. I never suggested otherwise lol.

There's no reason why the government would block the Raiders building their own stadium outside of general legal stuff like zoning and the such that the Raiders would have to work around anyway.

Clubs build their own grounds and local stadiums all the time, there's no reason why the government or any other body would go out of their way to prevent the Raiders from doing the same. If anything I reckon the government would welcome them building their own ground.
They could but the roi isn’t worth it

Wb1234

Referee

Eventually dogs sharks and manly will get done just not right now

It won't be funding from the NRL that is for certain. Reason is that they just don't have a big enough revenue stream to be able to fund it as most of its revenue goes to the clubs and the state leagues to cover their operating costs. Not enough left over afterwards to fund stadiums. Further if they tried to fund stadium upgrades for a few clubs, the others would then be jumping up and won over it saying why were the others getting special treatment.

As most of the grounds played at are Government owned (either State Government or local council), it will depend on which clubs and their respective locations. Souths don't want their own stadium, and would not secure funding to build one. As has been said they want to move to Allianz but it was its CEO signing a lease extension at Accor that is stopping them moving nothing else.

Bulldogs and Tigers are unlikely to get much funding from the NSW Government for a new stadium if they want to stay at Belmore or Leichhardt Ovals respectively. Those ground are owned by the local councils, who don't have the fund to pay for any significant upgrades, and with the current NSW Government they won't hand over potentially hundreds of millions of dollars with Allianz, Commbank and Accor all viable alternative for them. With the politics played over the rebuild of Allianz, this won't change in the medium term.

Sharks problem is that the ground is privately owned by them. Hence any Government money spent on the ground will be viewed as increasing the value of a privately owned asset. Rightly or wrongly, this will deter many a politician from going to the mat to secure any funding as it would be difficult to argue for (in my opinion).

Brookvale can make some case due to the lack of viable alternative grounds on the north side of Sydney. The problem is the local council, who own the ground, don't have funds for any significant upgrades, whilst it is located in traditionally safe Liberal voting areas which puts it down the priority list for the NSW Labor Government.

McDonald Jones Stadium is owned by the NSW Government. Its more the justifying the funding that may be the issue there from a political perspective for the NSW Government due to the politics played over the funding of Allianz stadium. Rightly or wrongly the "schools/hospitals before stadiums" catch cry will keep resounding with this NSW Government, as they used it to effect when they were in Opposition.

TheRam

Coach
If a Western Stand is built that boosts capacity to 25k with good corporate facilities. It will be. It'll be a good size, so even lean years feel well attended. It'd be crazy to expect them to build a 40k+ stadium conditionally to get an NRL team when we have cronulla playing out of a 12k stadium.

Future expansions can be negotiated and built incrementally. If Perth is getting 25k every game, it'll be easy to push for northern and southern stands to be rebuilt.

And there in lies the problem. That ground will never, I repeat never get an average of 25K. It is to small and crappy compared to Optus for the general Perth public to fall in love with it no matter what they do to it bar knock it down and build a totally brand new one.

Optus is the Taj Mahal of Perth. No way Perth public will enjoy the drop down in class and luxury. It will always feel like an inferior venue and by default the NRL will be seen as second class compared to the AFL. We need to be on equal footing with all the peripherals and professionalism stuff or the AFL will just totally eat our lunch. If we can't do that we shouldn't even bother until we can or it could do more long term damage then good.

Wb1234

Referee
And there in lies the problem. That ground will never, I repeat never get an average of 25K. It is to small and crappy compared to Optus for the general Perth public to fall in love with it no matter what they do to it bar knock it down and build a totally brand new one.

Optus is the Taj Mahal of Perth. No way Perth public will enjoy the drop down in class and luxury. It will always feel like an inferior venue and by default the NRL will be seen as second class compared to the AFL. We need to be on equal footing with all the peripherals and professionalism stuff or the AFL will just totally eat our lunch. If we can't do that we shouldn't even bother until we can or it could do more long term damage then good.
Yeh exactly

rugby league in Perth will look like a third class citizen

TheRam

Coach
A city like Melbourne who self-proclaims to be the sporting capital of Australia should have at least a minimum 50 000 capacity rectangular stadium.

It would not surprise me at all if in some way the AFL had something to do with that, knowing that if AAMI was built with a max capacity of 30K, other sports could never really grow beyond an average of around the 20K mark there and if they needed to play anywhere else in their city, the experience would suck enough to deter regular use. Also those ugly freakin green seats don't do it any favours as a spectacle and what a wast of money on that bubble exterior that makes it look crap too.

Timbo

Staff member
And if you build a 40,000 seat stadium off the bat, people won’t go because it’ll feel cavernous and empty with only 12,000 people in it.

TheRam

Coach
And Storm fans who still get a great at atmosphere when only 15k in it.

you might like swathes of empty seats at at stadium but not many do.

You're right a city the size of Melbourne in a country like Australia that has 4 major winter football codes should have at least 2 quality rectangle stadiums to accommodate the 3 football codes that have varying needs all year round. They have built the small one(30K) which begrudgingly suited the common enemy of the 3 codes and it seems they have no intention of ever building the larger(50K) one that threatens the paranoid mongrels the most.

So the 3 rectangular codes need to stop ignoring each other and unite with one formidable voice to defeat the persistent attacks and stifling tactics of the 1 selfish dick that has plagued this country's sporting landscape for way to freakin long.

It isn't that difficult is it? They just need to be persistent, loud and smart from a marketing point of view. Lobby and recruit the media to help out. Good press is what it is all about. Pollies only do things that make them look good. If the press and public get behind it then it will happen and the only way that will ever happen is if we can get the press on our side, then the public will be swayed and then the pollies will build.

Three codes should surely have enough influence and pull in the media that can get them on board, then the rest of the dominos will quickly fall into place. It's all about perception.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
It would not surprise me at all if in some way the AFL had something to do with that, knowing that if AAMI was built with a max capacity of 30K, other sports could never really grow beyond an average of around the 20K mark there and if they needed to play anywhere else in their city, the experience would suck enough to deter regular use. Also those ugly freakin green seats don't do it any favours as a spectacle and what a wast of money on that bubble exterior that makes it look crap too.
There was a deal with Etihad no new stadium over a certain capacity be allowed

think it was 40k

storm games would look awful In a staidum that size

Melbourne victory’s crowds have collapsed and they are amongst the highest in the a league

Pneuma

First Grade
Not nearly as ridiculous as suggesting Melbourne needs a 50k rectangular stadium. It would never, ever get used. Here is why:
- it would be way too big for Storm games that average 18k, or A League that averages 10k. Or Rebels games that average 8k. The atmosphere would be terrible, and it would be far les profitable for tenant clubs.
- for event games like SOO, Bledisloe, WC qualifiers, etc, they would still be played at the MCG, as 50k is too small. Do you really thing that the NRL would chose a 47k crowd over 87k For an Origin match? No, they will take the extra 40k and extra $4m+ every day of the week. Just like in Sydney the big events are at ACCOR, not SFS, which is only 40% bigger than AAMI.

More likely - if the MCC believe that Australia is a realistic chance to ever host a soccer WC, they will add moveable stands when they rebuild the MCG southern stand around 2030. Unlike every other stadium in Australia, the MCG generates enough revenue to pay for its own redevelopment. If there is an economic benefit from a rectangular mode (such as hosting the WC with 105k) they will do it. Southern Stand first, then the members in 2050.
And in comes the bloke who always runs the game down and argues for smaller stadiums in Melbourne for non afl codes. And what’s his rationale?. They can rent Marvel, an unsuitable ground owned by the afl. He’s a broken record of nrl negativity and afl fanboydom. Gee I wonder why? I wonder what his agenda is? It’s a conundrum!

Bukowski

Juniors

It needs a new western stand for sure but Optus isn't the answer for club games.

TheRam

Coach
There was a deal with Etihad no new stadium over a certain capacity be allowed

think it was 40k

storm games would look awful In a staidum that size

Melbourne victory’s crowds have collapsed and they are amongst the highest in the a league

That's why they need two stadiums. One for regular games that will attract a crowd of under 30K and another one for the bigger games. It's a city of what around 4-5 Million? Three codes could and would use them ffs!

Wb1234

Referee
That's why they need two stadiums. One for regular games that will attract a crowd of under 30K and another one for the bigger games. It's a city of what around 4-5 Million? Three codes could and would use them ffs!
Marvel or mcg

Wb1234

Referee
Have you read my previous post that explains everything?
Aami is a jewel

we should be thankful for that

people are happy Perth are going to get the nod in a virtual dump

the Victorian govt has built the perfect ground for rectangular sports in Vic

Latest posts