What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Desert Qlder

First Grade
AFL fans making the AAMI Park argument about Storm home and away game only.

Clever.

As if that is the only basis on which to determine infrastructure needs.

T-Boon

Coach
And they've got about as much chance of winning the hosting rights as the last time they bid for them...
Fair comment.
We put on a good show for the olympics and they are kind of running out of new places to play it so its not out of the relms.
It would come down to what time they play games to get maximum TV.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fair comment.
We put on a good show for the olympics and they are kind of running out of new places to play it so its not out of the relms.
It would come down to what time they play games to get maximum TV.
Aside from tv value and corrupt bidding biggest problem remains you need 14 venues of 40k plus and australia can’t deliver close to that.

T-Boon

Coach
Aside from tv value and corrupt bidding biggest problem remains you need 14 venues of 40k plus and australia can’t deliver close to that.
That won’t stop the bid succeeding as most bidders don’t until they get the World Cup and build them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That won’t stop the bid succeeding as most bidders don’t until they get the World Cup and build them.
We don’t really have 14 locations you could justify putting a 40k stadium.

current
sydney x 2
brisbane X 1

likely
perth new
adelaide new
canberra new
aami upgrade
newcastle upgrade
commbank upgrade
gold coast upgrade

thats 10 venues

other options
redcliffe or Ipswich new
townsville upgrade
auckland upgrade
wellington squaring off

thats only 14 options

T-Boon

Coach
We don’t really have 14 locations you could justify putting a 40k stadium.

current
sydney x 2
brisbane X 1

likely
perth new
adelaide new
canberra new
aami upgrade
newcastle upgrade
commbank upgrade
gold coast upgrade

thats 10 venues

other options
redcliffe or Ipswich new
townsville upgrade
auckland upgrade
wellington squaring off

thats only 14 options
NZ will join us so there another 2 at least.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
The upper levels on the sides would have still been shit, they weren't going to knock down half the stadium and bring one side in 25m. The design was alright for the olympics but absolutely shitful for the remaining life of it which was predominantly going to be rectangle sports.

What should have happened IMO was in the original design for the olympics, was both side stands built 15m closer to the pitch but the lower bowl front row have a 5m drop off, then when the olympics was over, continue to build the side lower bowl down towards the pitch. It would have lost some capacity but did the joint really need a 110k capacity for the olympics?

I went to the opening double header in 1999 and the flaws of the joint were obvious for footy immediately.

The ends should have been demolished and brought in the 30m and the AFL told to f**k off but that argument is for another day.
Agree. This is the design option that I wish we got - would have been much easier to get the lower bowl sorted for rectangular sports and the upper bowl is probably similar to Wembley, which is ok.

Bolded part is of course why we didn't get this.

1692516779240.png

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You’d be surprised, a World Cup is very big business for a country and they’d find the money and will if a Australasian bid won.
I wouldn’t be sad if it happened. One thing in its favour is that Wellington already has an established cricket ground (The Basin Reserve) though it lacks capacity.

jim_57

Staff member

2026 is 3 countries all with bigger populations than Aus & NZ combined. Bids remaining for 2030 are both 3-4 country bids as well featuring large European & South American countries. Seeing as no other pacific countries are an option I dare say Aus & NZ will have to get an Asian country or 2 on board for a bid.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'm pretty sure you need approval by a government agency just to put up a carport let alone a stadium.

But yep, the raiders can just start building a 20k seat stadium somewhere in Canberra, no worries mate, no one will notice or try to block it.
Yeah, of course they'd need development approval. I never suggested otherwise lol.

There's no reason why the government would block the Raiders building their own stadium outside of general legal stuff like zoning and the such that the Raiders would have to work around anyway.

Clubs build their own grounds and local stadiums all the time, there's no reason why the government or any other body would go out of their way to prevent the Raiders from doing the same. If anything I reckon the government would welcome them building their own ground.

APPSY

Juniors
Genuine Question as I'm very new to this thread and do not want to go through almost 1500 pages worth of conversation;
Will the NRL ever gain enough funding to provide proper stadiums or upgrades for teams like:
- Rabbitohs (If they move from Homebush to Allianz then I'll be okay with it, if not they need their own)
- Bulldogs (Upgrades to Belmore to host 11 games)
- Tigers (Upgrade Campbelltown and keep Leichardt for an old boys day once a year)
- Sharks (Desperately needs grandstand extensions)
- Manly (add grandstands in place of the hill)
- Knights (Remove the hill seating with grandstands)

I know Penrith is being redeveloped which is awesome to hear.

I think I've just personally grown out of the whole suburban hill type of grounds? I know we may never see these teams get upgrades, but would be nice.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Qatar got away with 11 venues, I thought
They also had the means for much bigger bribes than we do lol.

It's not just stadiums either. We don't meet the public transport requirements (particularly between host cities), most host cities don't have enough 4 and 5 star hotels and are missing other pieces of key infrastructure, we don't have enough soccer specific training facilities of a high enough standard, etc, etc.

Maybe you can get away with not meeting a couple of those criteria if you grease the right palms, but you're still talking about billions of dollars of investment before FIFA would even consider us as hosts, and that doesn't address the effect of time zone differences on broadcast rights values around the world and gaining support from the federations.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Genuine Question as I'm very new to this thread and do not want to go through almost 1500 pages worth of conversation;
Will the NRL ever gain enough funding to provide proper stadiums or upgrades for teams like:
- Rabbitohs (If they move from Homebush to Allianz then I'll be okay with it, if not they need their own)
- Bulldogs (Upgrades to Belmore to host 11 games)
- Tigers (Upgrade Campbelltown and keep Leichardt for an old boys day once a year)
- Sharks (Desperately needs grandstand extensions)
- Manly (add grandstands in place of the hill)
- Knights (Remove the hill seating with grandstands)

I know Penrith is being redeveloped which is awesome to hear.

I think I've just personally grown out of the whole suburban hill type of grounds? I know we may never see these teams get upgrades, but would be nice.
No chance in hell.

Perth Red

Post Whore
2026 is 3 countries all with bigger populations than Aus & NZ combined. Bids remaining for 2030 are both 3-4 country bids as well featuring large European & South American countries. Seeing as no other pacific countries are an option I dare say Aus & NZ will have to get an Asian country or 2 on board for a bid.
Indonesia and Singapore would be the only obvious ones I suppose?

Latest posts