What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

horrie hastings

First Grade
They are talking about having it at QSAC/QE2.

Yes that makes more sense than rebuilding the Gabba, would still need some form of upgrade but would be far cheaper than a Gabba rebuild. Carrara could also be a fall back or back up though seeing it was used for the Commonwealth games not that long ago.

mongoose

Coach

flippikat

Bench
Looks like the Tas Stadium is on the brink to

Oh dear.. isn't there a buzz around the AFL-world that Tasmania will be announced formally (Name, team colours, maybe even first jersey - err.. guernsey..) around the time of their season kickoff in March?

shewi6

Juniors
Problem is how much will it cost in 15 years or so when it needs replacing if they dont do it for Olympics? Stadiums only have a shelf life of so long. And cost more and more each year to replace. Sydney faces the same dilemma with Accor.
The thing is though we don't need to spend 3 billion now or even in 15 years for a stadium that benefits afl. As a qlder i dont want my taxes paying for it and i bet 90% of the state would agree.

Add in the fact that suncorp was built in 2002 and the gabba in 2005, then suncorp should be first cab off the rank for a rebuild. The people of brisbane would have that as thei priority over a 3 billion dollar white elephant that massively benefits the afl. The gabba is more than fine for cricket.

Diesel

Referee
Yes that makes more sense than rebuilding the Gabba, would still need some form of upgrade but would be far cheaper than a Gabba rebuild. Carrara could also be a fall back or back up though seeing it was used for the Commonwealth games not that long ago.
It’s getting temporary seating plus the existing grandstand removed and rebuilt.

Iamback

Coach
The thing is though we don't need to spend 3 billion now or even in 15 years for a stadium that benefits afl. As a qlder i dont want my taxes paying for it and i bet 90% of the state would agree.

Add in the fact that suncorp was built in 2002 and the gabba in 2005, then suncorp should be first cab off the rank for a rebuild. The people of brisbane would have that as thei priority over a 3 billion dollar white elephant that massively benefits the afl. The gabba is more than fine for cricket.

RL, Soccer and RU use Suncorp. You can have big concerts at both.

So Suncorp makes sense, especially with 2 of those sports in the Olympics

Perth Red

Post Whore

It isn’t just ARL though is it. Optus has been great for Perth, we’ve hosted major concerts, other sports, etc. it’s become a proud amenity for the city, ideally we’d have a state of the art oval and rectangular stadium in each of our 5 major cities.

shewi6

Juniors
It isn’t just ARL though is it. Optus has been great for Perth, we’ve hosted major concerts, other sports, etc. it’s become a proud amenity for the city, ideally we’d have a state of the art oval and rectangular stadium in each of our 5 major cities.
Sure and that works great in Perth for that stadium to be an oval but the other sports u talk about use a rectangle field and in Brisbane the main showcase stadium should be a rectangle and actually benefit the majority of the people if we are to spend 3 billion to do it.

Thankfully some sanity is coming through and the gabba might be cancelled because it is becoming political poison.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
We do already. Both adequate for NRL and international cricket. Go and cry about flogball somewhere else.

Wb1234

Referee
Even one of the head honchos on the IOC reckons the Gabba revamp should be iced and events for the 2032 Olympic not held there but at "Lang Park" -

Where are they going to hold the ttlrack and field and opening/closing ceremonies? Suncorp wont work for those.
Qe2 or whatever it’s called now
Suncorp getting upgraded to 60-65K, so the western grandstand built in 1994 is getting teared down. Suncorp and rectangle sports win while the afl can enjoy lipstick on a pig
is this a fact or just speculation

Valheru

Coach
Allianz/SFS might be newer than Suncorp but I'd argue if it's better.

Suncorp has a better location, has proper rail right on its doorstep and a 25% bigger capacity.

Seating views would be on par with each other, the only thing better would be the corporate facilities being that they're 20+ years newer at Allianz.

The Gabba is a bucket of shit, the location is great but there is really not much that can be done as the footprint is almost max'd out for that area it's located. They can tart/patch it up but it's lipstick on a pig.
I wouldn't say it is better but they are now on par IMO

Capacity is neither here or there, they both cater for the same types of events.

The location of the SFS is much better now with the light rail. You can have a drink/dinner anywhere in the CBD now and just hop on the tram direct to the SFS

Canard

Immortal
It's hard to beat Lang Park for location.

That's why I get so huffy about Sydneysiders suggesting that Brisbane build a stadium in f**king Ipswich or Timbuktu.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Brisbane should hand the Olympics back before considering using QSAC. There is no way you can bring it up to Olympic standard. A 50 year old neglected stadium with no disability access and poor transport links would be an embarrassment to the city, the state and the nation. It would need a full rebuild, which is an even bigger waste of money than the Gabba.

Either have the Athletics on the GC, or spend $300m - $500m to rebuild the city end of the Gabba to be able to fit an aths track and increase capacity back to over 40k, and build a new entrance that connects to the Cross River Rail. The problem with that is that they have bundled the CRR station costs in with the Gabba rebuild to get the feds to pay half. So, who knows what the breakdown is? $500m might not be nearly enough.

Absolute mess on a Dan Andrews Commonwealth Games level.

Latest posts