What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Jamberoo

Juniors
It was mentioned on SENQ yesterday that the western grandstand had to be removed and capacity needs to be a minimum of 60k.

The western grandstand is what is holding Suncorp back from going above 52k. It was refurbished back in 2003. The other 3 stands from my understanding can be added to
Likely just the radio hosts giving their thoughts. There is not a single dollar allocated to Suncorp in the Olympic funding document. There are six new venues and eight venues to be upgraded. Suncorp is not one of them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Likely just the radio hosts giving their thoughts. There is not a single dollar allocated to Suncorp in the Olympic funding document. There are six new venues and eight venues to be upgraded. Suncorp is not one of them.
Probably because there are no Olympic events that actually require it to be upgraded?

if nrl felt there was value in a better Suncorp they should be offering the gf in return for a significant upgrade,

Desert Qlder

First Grade
it is miles behind MCG/Optus/Adelaide/SCG as the fifth cricket ground, but things got very out of hand.
It’s actually quite fine. This nonsense is pushed by AFL fans who have an overinflated sense of how big the game is in Brisbane.

And also a cover by Cricket Australia, justifying their backdown to BCCI, who didn’t want to play the first test there. Cricket is dying in Australia anyway, due to general incompetence like this.

Gabba doesn’t need to be touched for either of it’s second tier tenants.

Diesel

Referee
The only reason afl has big stadiums is because of the popularity of cricket. MCG & Adelaide Oval are cricket grounds, only Optus is an afl ground

Jamberoo

Juniors
The only reason afl has big stadiums is because of the popularity of cricket. MCG & Adelaide Oval are cricket grounds, only Optus is an afl ground
Not true. 50 AFL games brings in ten times more revenue for the MCG than a summer of cricket. It is the AFL contract that allows the MCG to borrow to build new stands. Similar in Adelaide with 26 x AFL games.

Not to mention Marvel.

You are right though about the SCG, even though the AFL nowadays contributes more than cricket.

As I have said around 42k is perfect for the Gabba. This was its capacity 15 years ago before they put in the stupid pool deck for the cricket and large scoreboards. So they should be able to rejig within the current footprint and get it back over 40k and fit a running track.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm assuming you only mean Australia? Huge draw in Europe and the rest of the world.
Primarily yes I mean here, but I’d say it’d apply in many potential host countries, though by no means all. In most countries you’re going to get larger regular crowds for rectangular ball sports than anything using an athletics track or an oval.

flippikat

Bench
A new Auckland stadium proposal has emerged.

So the choices come down to...
* The new proposal, 50k capacity on the rail line next to Spark (indoor) Arena

* The 70k capacity “sunken stadium” at Bledisloe Wharf

* 55k stadium at Wynyard Point.

* Upgrade to Eden Park (60k capacity to remain about the same) which would add a roof and see three grandstands replaced/upgraded.

From what I gather, Auckland Council's stadium committee is due to report back in late March - hopefully this means a preferred option is identified then.

Iamback

Coach

* Upgrade to Eden Park (60k capacity to remain about the same) which would add a roof and see three grandstands replaced/upgraded.

From what I gather, Auckland Council's stadium committee is due to report back in late March - hopefully this means a preferred option is identified then.

The 1st one you would think because links in with Spark arena and that is what governments go for these days

jim_57

Staff member

For the main stadium in Auckland and biggest in NZ you’d think they’d want 60k minimum. The latest one does look good though, especially the possibility of building a railway station underneath or right beside it.

Question is, would Warriors use any of the above instead of Mt Smart? They seem pretty attached to it.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
For the main stadium in Auckland and biggest in NZ you’d think they’d want 60k minimum. The latest one does look good though, especially the possibility of building a railway station underneath or right beside it.

Question is, would Warriors use any of the above instead of Mt Smart? They seem pretty attached to it.
Mt Smart is owned by Auckland Council (as is North Harbour stadium & Western Springs speedway stadium).

if the Council get behind a new stadium they could decide to redevelop Mt Smart - anything from changing it back to athletics configuration to selling some of the Mt Smart precinct to developers -- and ask the Warriors to vacate Mt Smart so they can do that.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

The city will stil need a second facility - Mt Smart at 25-30k provides that pretty well. But I’d imagine the council will want to maximise use of anything new and get any team that draws well playing out of it.