What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Diesel

Referee
Is this a rumour you have heard?
It was mentioned on SENQ yesterday that the western grandstand had to be removed and capacity needs to be a minimum of 60k.

The western grandstand is what is holding Suncorp back from going above 52k. It was refurbished back in 2003. The other 3 stands from my understanding can be added to

Wb1234

Referee
It was mentioned on SENQ yesterday that the western grandstand had to be removed and capacity needs to be a minimum of 60k.

The western grandstand is what is holding Suncorp back from going above 52k. It was refurbished back in 2003. The other 3 stands from my understanding can be added to
Excellent result

fumblers miss out on a new ground to the benefit of rugby league.

shewi6

Juniors

Thanks.
I remember reading an article celebrating 20 years since redevelopment that if the old western stand wasn't retained and instead mirrored the rest of the ground that the capacity would be in the 70k region.

beave

Coach
Thanks.
I remember reading an article celebrating 20 years since redevelopment that if the old western stand wasn't retained and instead mirrored the rest of the ground that the capacity would be in the 70k region.

My understanding was that the rest of the ground mirrored the western stand to keep costs down, this enabled the roofline to be one continuous profile around its entirety and also saved on cost and the negative public optics of knocking down a 10 year old western stand.

It's Been Done

Juniors

It looks like there's room for additional rows on the upper decks of the 2003 stands although the roof might have to be replaced as they might only see the beams underneath the actual roof as seen below. I don't know why they didn't design the stands (at least the Eastern Stand) with bigger top decks
suncorp-stadium-2.jpg

I'm sure they can design a roof that can allow for a bigger top deck

shewi6

Juniors
My understanding was that the rest of the ground mirrored the western stand to keep costs down, this enabled the roofline to be one continuous profile around its entirety and also saved on cost and the negative public optics of knocking down a 10 year old western stand.
What I mean is if the western stand was the same 3 tiered stand as the rest of the ground. IDK if the 70k capacity accounts for extra height or if it includes filling in the corners where the roof supports currently are. But that is just what that design was meant to be but yes it wasn't justifiable to tear down a perfectly good stand and 50k was more than enough for brisbane and rugby league recovering from superleague at the time.

T-Boon

Coach
I just can’t see how Brisbane would justify a 60k oval when they got garbage crowds for the cricket and it otherwise would barely be used.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I just can’t see how Brisbane would justify a 60k oval when they got garbage crowds for the cricket and it otherwise would barely be used.
The Gabba rebuild proposal is 50k. It would be the smallest Olympic stadium in 100 years. 42k - 45k is about right for the Lions.

T-Boon

Coach
The Gabba rebuild proposal is 50k. It would be the smallest Olympic stadium in 100 years. 42k - 45k is about right for the Lions.
Interestingly I just read the Paris Olympic opening ceremony isn’t even in a stadium - it’s along the river Seinfeld.

Diesel

Referee
It looks like there's room for additional rows on the upper decks of the 2003 stands although the roof might have to be replaced as they might only see the beams underneath the actual roof as seen below. I don't know why they didn't design the stands (at least the Eastern Stand) with bigger top decks
suncorp-stadium-2.jpg

I'm sure they can design a roof that can allow for a bigger top deck
That’s my understanding too that the roof can be replaced once the additional seating to the existing 3 stands and the new one is built

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
What I’m wondering re Brisbane is what the requirements for an Olympic stadium actually are- the successful bid would’ve been conditional on meeting certain stadium standards.

Jamberoo

Juniors
What I’m wondering re Brisbane is what the requirements for an Olympic stadium actually are- the successful bid would’ve been conditional on meeting certain stadium standards.
Most of the previous requirements regarding capacity are gone. IOC was happy to have the opening at Suncorp or Gabba and Athletics at Metricon. QLD govt tied the Gabba rebuild to the cross river rail as the feds were paying half. Gabba does need work - it is miles behind MCG/Optus/Adelaide/SCG as the fifth cricket ground, but things got very out of hand.