What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Is there scope to increase the capacity ?
I’m no engineer, but I imagine it is going to be a challenge. Definitely an expensive conundrum.

But we’ve got AFL fans calling for a 5-6k expansion of the Gabba at god knows how much. Nothing could match that for sheer ridiculousness.

There's clearly money sloshing around and Suncorp Stadium and the sports it serves, are most deserving on any measure.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I’m no engineer, but I imagine it is going to be a challenge. Definitely an expensive conundrum.

But we’ve got AFL fans calling for a 5-6k expansion of the Gabba at god knows how much. Nothing could match that for sheer ridiculousness.

There's clearly money sloshing around and Suncorp Stadium and the sports it serves, are most deserving on any measure.
Regarding Suncorp, you could possibly add 1k - 2k more seats without changing the roofline. After that you might as well wait 10 - 20 year for a rebuild. It won’t get a cent spent for 2032, even if the Gabba is cancelled. Those savings will go to building another stadium elsewhere for the athletics.

The Gabba? I agree that the proposed cost is way too high, but it definitely needs an upgrade. It is just holding on as a test cricket venue. It is rubbish compared to MCG, Adelaide, Perth and the newer parts of the SCG.

Let’s compare the Gabba to the old SFS. Annual attendees are/were similar (around 600k annually), and by the time 2032 rolls around, the average age of the Gabba stands will be as old as the SFS when it was demolished. They spent nearly a billion there for zero added capacity! And well worth it. So why not the Gabba?

The latest word is the the Gabba will get a partial, staged rebuild, possibly the north-eastern half the ground, bringing capacity up from 36k to 42k - 45k, and making it a little narrower and longer for the athletics track. Might still cost around $1B. If that happens, you will be upset to know that it is the AFL’s preferred option.

Also don’t forget the IOC is chipping in $2B for the games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How are they going to hold an Olympics in stadium of less than 50k? surely if not fully rebuilt it will have to undergo some massive partial rebuilds just to get it up to Olympic capacity of 60k+? There hasn't been an Olympic stadium under 60k capacity since 1928! Be a bit embarrassing for Brisbane and Australia if the main event is in a tiny (by Olympic standard) old venue

Brian potter

Bench
How are they going to hold an Olympics in stadium of less than 50k? surely if not fully rebuilt it will have to undergo some massive partial rebuilds just to get it up to Olympic capacity of 60k+? There hasn't been an Olympic stadium under 60k capacity since 1928! Be a bit embarrassing for Brisbane and Australia if the main event is in a tiny (by Olympic standard) old venue
Is that stadium the broncos used to play in around the early 90’s still standing?

Vlad59

Bench
Interestingly it was the IOC who said the Gabba upgrade was unnecessary.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You're the embarrassment. The IOC are actively encouraging bids to produce sustainable, financially prudent games that will benefit the local populace not build white elephants just to impress people.

You'll have to wait for your fumbleball arena a lot longer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interestingly it was the IOC who said the Gabba upgrade was unnecessary.
Thats a flip in last 2 weeks as they are concerned by public backlash and ill feeling around the games. I still say holding the games in a stadium capacity not seen since 1928 is not a great look for anyone!

Perth Red

Post Whore
When is the election down there?

I think team 18 will be within 6 months
They've said team 18 announcement will be end of year. Whats probably more interesting is what they say about 19 and 20, if anything.
Tassie elections 23rd March

Suitman

Post Whore
Thats a flip in last 2 weeks as they are concerned by public backlash and ill feeling around the games. I still say holding the games in a stadium capacity not seen since 1928 is not a great look for anyone!

When did Perth last hold the Olympics? What was their capacity? Oh, that's right. They didn't.
Just for once mate, stop digging holes for yourself.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When did Perth last hold the Olympics? What was their capacity? Oh, that's right. They didn't.
Just for once mate, stop digging holes for yourself.
wtf relevance has that got to do with anything? At least weve got a stadium befitting the Olympics! In fact thats not a bad idea, if Brisbane cant put on a good face maybe they should move track and field to Optus?