What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Vlad59

Bench
Thats a flip in last 2 weeks as they are concerned by public backlash and ill feeling around the games. I still say holding the games in a stadium capacity not seen since 1928 is not a great look for anyone!
The IOC made this statement well over a month ago. They didn’t care about the capacity and didn’t regard the upgrade as necessary. I’m sure they are more interested in the global audience..

Perth Red

Post Whore
The IOC made this statement well over a month ago. They didn’t care about the capacity and didn’t regard the upgrade as necessary. I’m sure they are more interested in the global audience..
at the same time it started to really go tits up with public opinion!
I'm pretty sure they do care about 20k ticket sales every day plus the look of it. They go on about reducing costs then keep adding stupid events, they need to bring the Olympics back in scale if they are serious about making it more viable for host cities.

Maybe Brisbane is setting the new precedent, host it in a shtty small old stadium without infrastructure around it lol

Vlad59

Bench
I'm pretty sure they do care about 20k ticket sales every day plus the look of it. They go on about reducing costs then keep adding stupid events, they need to bring the Olympics back in scale if they are serious about making it more viable for host cities.

Maybe Brisbane is setting the new precedent, host it in a shtty small old stadium without infrastructure around it lol
Some times you just have to admit you are wrong. I’ll go with IOC statements and not your self serving speculation.

Bukowski

Juniors
If the Olympics are happy for a small stadium then why would you build a bigger one? Any embarrassment would be on them, not the host city.

nko11

Juniors

It's been talked about from before we were awarded the olympics; that the Brisbane olympics were going to be used as a model for future Olympics to build sustainable infrastructure. The IOC, to their credit seem to be awake to this. At the end of the day 95% of countries have no use for a track and field sized stadium. For most other countries it will be a multi billion dollar spend to build it and even more spent post games to get it into a usable configuration (or do like Sydney has and keep a white elephant that had to pay teams to play at it).

$2.7 billion to increase capacity by 8,000 to 50,000 is a joke. In the future you're more likely to see the track and field being ~30-40k and the opening and closing ceremonies held in larger rectangular stadiums that have more chance of being used post olympics (or not even at a stadium like Paris).

If they want high quality new 80k+ stadiums for track and field again, they're gonna have to make some major changes.

40k is perfect for the one test match per year + the 1 out of every 5 year bandwagon support that the Lions get. A couple of lean years and they will be back to 16k a game.

This is the sort of stuff they're trying to cut out. Brazil's track and field stadium from 2016 Olympics should never happen again.
images (2).jpeg

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
At the very least it’d be good to see some research put in to what can be done for Suncorp and how much different options would cost. If there was a way to make it 60k+ without a total rebuild it would be worth pushing by the NRL.

There does seem to be a lot of empty space around the top tiers, whether anything could be done to get more seats up there I have no idea.

Iamback

Coach
It's been talked about from before we were awarded the olympics; that the Brisbane olympics were going to be used as a model for future Olympics to build sustainable infrastructure. The IOC, to their credit seem to be awake to this. At the end of the day 95% of countries have no use for a track and field sized stadium. For most other countries it will be a multi billion dollar spend to build it and even more spent post games to get it into a usable configuration (or do like Sydney has and keep a white elephant that had to pay teams to play at it).

$2.7 billion to increase capacity by 8,000 to 50,000 is a joke. In the future you're more likely to see the track and field being ~30-40k and the opening and closing ceremonies held in larger rectangular stadiums that have more chance of being used post olympics (or not even at a stadium like Paris).

If they want high quality new 80k+ stadiums for track and field again, they're gonna have to make some major changes.

40k is perfect for the one test match per year + the 1 out of every 5 year bandwagon support that the Lions get. A couple of lean years and they will be back to 16k a game.

This is the sort of stuff they're trying to cut out. Brazil's track and field stadium from 2016 Olympics should never happen again.
View attachment 84152

Look at the Commonwealth games, They can't get anyone to host them.

Olympics has more options but is limited to the same Middle East countries and possibly China or USA unless they loosen the rules

Is that stadium the broncos used to play in around the early 90’s still standing?

You are talking about the old QEII Stadium, which was built for the 1982 Commonwealth Games, which became ANZ Stadium when the Broncos played there.

It is still standing but its not a great ground as other than the main stand most of its amenities were only designed to last for that 1982 Commonwealth Games. Its is now called the Qld Sport and Athletics Centre and is mainly used for athletics.

Reactions: Vee

mongoose

Coach
wtf relevance has that got to do with anything? At least weve got a stadium befitting the Olympics! In fact thats not a bad idea, if Brisbane cant put on a good face maybe they should move track and field to Optus?
why do you care so much about the Olympics and upgrading the Gabba though?

Munky

Coach
There is a second field and track next to the old ANZ stadium in Brisbane.

A pretty decent temporary media facilty and food/beverage hall could be built.

He's jealous because the world's largest sporting event is going to be held in Brisbane. It's obvious he doesn't think very highly of Brisbane and is envious of its status as the world's second largest and most parochial rugby league city.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dont really care, just a sht look for the country and for Brisbane that it will be hosted in the worse stadium in a hundred years.

He's jealous because the world's largest sporting event is going to be held in Brisbane. It's obvious he doesn't think very highly of Brisbane and is envious of its status as the world's second largest and most parochial rugby league city.

Not at all, I've enjoyed my trips to Brisbane for work and play. World cup final weekend was a blast.