What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

jim_57

Staff member
Mt Smart is owned by Auckland Council (as is North Harbour stadium & Western Springs speedway stadium).

if the Council get behind a new stadium they could decide to redevelop Mt Smart - anything from changing it back to athletics configuration to selling some of the Mt Smart precinct to developers -- and ask the Warriors to vacate Mt Smart so they can do that.

Yeh fair enough, be interesting to see what happens with them if a new stadium goes ahead. Like you say it might be taken out of their hands, whoever funds it will want content to justify it and the Warriors have shown they can pull a crowd, selling out Mt Smart several times last year.

You could make Mt Smart a decent 30k+ stadium relatively cheaply but the idea of playing out of a Suncorp/Allianz-like 50k+ stadium must hold some appeal for them if/when that ever happens.

Colk

First Grade
For all the Kiwis on here, would the new stadium increase the likelihood of a second Kiwi team being placed in Auckland (I’m not a fan of that option) or would a second team more likely come from another area?

Suitman

Post Whore
For all the Kiwis on here, would the new stadium increase the likelihood of a second Kiwi team being placed in Auckland (I’m not a fan of that option) or would a second team more likely come from another area?

Another area.
No chance ever of a 2nd team in Auckland.

flippikat

Bench
I can't see that happening -it splits the existing base, and I can't see another Auckland team drawing a new fanbase in - especially a new ACTIVE fanbase... but an NZ 2 team in another city could.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If any of the three non Eden park options happen I’ll be happy, they’re all in great central locations. Eden Park 2.0 would be ok… but it’s still a multi use proposal. I’d rather see a dedicated football stadium and Eden either sold off or scaled back as a cricket facility.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
I’d love a derby gams in NZ. If they get the draw right, you’d have one team away while the other is at home so there’s a game in NZ every week?

It would be absolutely awesome. If the Warriors get a new venue and a new side were to play at the Christchurch venue it would be worth it to go to NZ every year (NZ is great anyway but there is another good reason to go)

Diesel

Referee
A new Auckland stadium proposal has emerged.

So the choices come down to...
* The new proposal, 50k capacity on the rail line next to Spark (indoor) Arena

* The 70k capacity “sunken stadium” at Bledisloe Wharf

* 55k stadium at Wynyard Point.

* Upgrade to Eden Park (60k capacity to remain about the same) which would add a roof and see three grandstands replaced/upgraded.

From what I gather, Auckland Council's stadium committee is due to report back in late March - hopefully this means a preferred option is identified then.
Anything but Eden Park. The place is a dump and a money hole. Its a terrible rectsngle stadium and horrible for cricket.

flippikat

Bench
If any of the three non Eden park portion happen I’ll be happy, they’re all in great central locations. Eden Park 2.0 would be ok… but it’s still a multi use proposal. I’d rather see a dedicated football stadium and Eden either sold off or scaled back as a cricket facility.
Eden Park 2.0 would be a disappointing cop-out decision. We've sunk way too much into that dog of a ground, and the location is completely wrong.
Anything but Eden Park. The place is a dump and a money hole. Its a terrible rectsngle stadium and horrible for cricket.
Ideally we'd see Eden Park scrapped & replaced by a modern CBD rectangular stadium, with cricket going to a ground that's dedicated to that sport's needs and Eden Park #1 ground sold off for a quality apartments or townhouse development (medium-to-high density housing, as it's near a train line).

Eden Park #2 (The "outer oval" currently used for smaller-pulling cricket games) could be kept as a community cricket ground for club matches or turned into housing too... but I don't think it's the solution for major cricket games like internationals.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’d love a derby game in NZ. If they get the draw right, you’d have one team away while the other is at home so there’s a game in NZ every week?
You’d want to do it that way from a scheduling perspective too because the NZ game can fill those early timeslots that aren’t great for Aus teams but occupy NZ prime time. 5-5:30 Saturday and midday or 1pm Sunday are the most obvious ones.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Eden Park #2 (The "outer oval" currently used for smaller-pulling cricket games) could be kept as a community cricket ground for club matches or turned into housing too... but I don't think it's the solution for major cricket games like internationals.
I’d sell off #2 and knock down the east, west and probably the north stands and remodel the main ground as an oval. Maybe retain a portion of the north stand for facilities and broadcast stuff if that’s feasible but mainly rretain the south stand that was build for the 2011 World Cup. You should still have 25-30000 capacity in a facility that’ll be cheaper to maintain long term, and actually be the proper dimensions for cricket.

flippikat

Bench
I’d sell off #2 and knock down the east, west and probably the north stands and remodel the main ground as an oval. Maybe retain a portion of the north stand for facilities and broadcast stuff if that’s feasible but mainly rretain the south stand that was build for the 2011 World Cup. You should still have 25-30000 capacity in a facility that’ll be cheaper to maintain long term, and actually be the proper dimensions for cricket.
Not a bad idea. Frankly, a dedicated cricket ground would be fine to keep out in the suburbs as it wouldn't get too many games that sell-out, and 30k tops would be just fine. Work could also be done to make it more amenable to test cricket too (ie some embankments & trees). As you say, keep the facilities that work, bulldoze the rest.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Not a bad idea. Frankly, a dedicated cricket ground would be fine to keep out in the suburbs as it wouldn't get too many games that sell-out, and 30k tops would be just fine. Work could also be done to make it more amenable to test cricket too (ie some embankments & trees). As you say, keep the facilities that work, bulldoze the rest.
Yeah I’d basically replace the east, west and north at EP with embankments and maybe some bleacher style seating, open the whole thing up and make it greener and sunnier.

Latest posts