What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
wonder if the 70k Suncorp is just the western side knocked down and rebuilt bigger and extend the roofline upwards in that area?
I think to get 70k they will need to mirror the west with the east, rip the roof off and bring the corners up to row 78, and bring the lower bowl behind the posts up to row 36 which would b possible, but much of the lower bowl concourse would end up undercover.

That would be my dream. We'd end up with a similar vibe - but more square - version of Allianz Arena in Munich.

EhjsL4IWsAAuCnJ.jpg:large

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The aim of the review is to reduce spending for the Olympics, so not sure a half billion upgrade to Suncorp is going to be announced. Most likely a small expansion of capacity under the existing roofline and improvements to amenities. Reckon a new 50k stadium at Victoria Park is likely as it will less than half the cost of the Gabba rebuild. What a mess!
That's a terrible option. Loss of community green space for a white elephant. Look forward to the campaign against that.

Understand why Melbourne AFL fans are angling for this though.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Let's take a look at what AFL fans want to destroy with their Victoria Park proposal:

"A natural space that celebrates Country and Brisbane’s shared Aboriginal and European heritage. 74% support for the Cultural landscape strategy

More involvement from Traditional Custodians in the design and ongoing management of the park.

More representation of First Nations heritage, including local Aboriginal art and sculptures and Aboriginal led park activities. The Master Plan will establish employment pathways to manage and maintain the landscape.

Aboriginal language is considered in the park name, renaming the park to Barrambin first and Victoria Park second."

The Great Dane

First Grade
You expected them to win their first three and spend the first half of the season in the 8? I doubt many were that optimistic. I get that depth was always going to be their big issue as it turned out to be, but I doubt many thought the start would be as good.
How they're going on the pitch isn't half as important as their business decisions, almost all of which have been impressively stupid when it comes to the important things.

Among other things I predicted that they'd average 25k or under when they easily could have cracked a 30k average. That their only match with an attendance above 40k would be their match against the Broncos (not including the Perth doubleheader) when they could have had multiple in their first season. That their marketing angle would flop hard.

I even predicted that despite their underachieving that they'd be celebrated as a success simply because they outperformed most of the rest of the teams in the league on paper, when in reality a second Brisbane side shouldn't even be in the same weight class as most of the rest of the league from a commercial perspective.
Not about having a contrary opinion, its about being a pompous windbag.
It's absolutely about me holding contrary opinions to the mainstream. All your "criticism" of me is tribalist in nature.

mongoose

Coach
The aim of the review is to reduce spending for the Olympics, so not sure a half billion upgrade to Suncorp is going to be announced. Most likely a small expansion of capacity under the existing roofline and improvements to amenities. Reckon a new 50k stadium at Victoria Park is likely as it will less than half the cost of the Gabba rebuild. What a mess!
half a billion upgrade of Suncorp still comes in way under what was proposed for the Gabba.

jim_57

Staff member
half a billion upgrade of Suncorp still comes in way under what was proposed for the Gabba.

For $2.7b they could probably expand Suncorp and a 50k Oval and have money up their sleeve you’d think.

The estimated price for a full knockdown/rebuild of Homebush was $1.25b, that was about 6-7 years ago now. I know that would have blown out and construction has shot up but not that much surely?

jim_57

Staff member
Suncorp only half the ground will be out of action or gabba and kayo

If it happens you’d have to imagine Suncorp would be out for at least a season even if they can leave a lot of it ‘as is’.

Gabba for most, assuming it isn’t being done at the same time. Gold Coast, Sunny coast, Toowoomba, Rockhampton & Redcliffe options for a few games.

Wb1234

Immortal
If it happens you’d have to imagine Suncorp would be out for at least a season even if they can leave a lot of it ‘as is’.

Gabba for most, assuming it isn’t being done at the same time. Gold Coast, Sunny coast, Toowoomba, Rockhampton & Redcliffe options for a few games.
Hmmm origin at the Gabba will be meh

mongoose

Coach
For $2.7b they could probably expand Suncorp and a 50k Oval and have money up their sleeve you’d think.

The estimated price for a full knockdown/rebuild of Homebush was $1.25b, that was about 6-7 years ago now. I know that would have blown out and construction has shot up but not that much surely?
I think the 2.7b included an underground rail station, plus they had to relocate heritage buildings part of East Brisbane state school

jim_57

Staff member
I think the 2.7b included an underground rail station, plus they had to relocate heritage buildings part of East Brisbane state school

Weren’t they going to do a station at Woolloongabba anyway? Moving the cost of one of the CRR stations to the cost of the Gabba rebuild doesn’t make much sense when the station will be done regardless.

azza29

Juniors
MCG was half rebuilt without having to move games away, I'm sure they could figure out a way to do something similar for Suncorp.