What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...l/news-story/cdc917fb9a16462aaac3e9804435aad7

NSW government may attempt to tighten its grip on NRL grand final

• The Australian
  • 12:00AM October 28, 2017
  • Brent Read
    8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a
The NSW government already has its hands on 20 years of grand finals, but it could look to extend its grip on the game’s showpiece event as part of a push to secure greater funding for Sydney’s major stadiums.

State Sports Minister Stuart Ayres has scheduled a meeting with NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg next week amid speculation he wants to secure more content for the city’s stadiums in return for greater investment in Allianz and ANZ Stadiums.

The NRL grand final was a key component of the deal announced by the state government last year, which aimed to spend $1.6 billion to redevelop Parramatta, ANZ and Allianz Stadiums.

Under the terms of the deal, the NRL guaranteed 20 years’ worth of grand finals for Sydney once ANZ Stadium was turned into a world-class rectangular venue.

There is talk that Ayres is now looking to significantly increase the funding to ensure none of the major stadiums miss out, but those plans could yet hinge on whether the NRL is willing to commit more grand finals to Sydney.

The NRL grand final is arguably the biggest-ticket item for the state government. As it stands, the deal struck last year is in danger of implosion as uncertainty surrounds the future of ANZ Stadium.

While the expectation is the venue will get the investment the NRL and its western Sydney clubs feel it deserves, the state government continues to vacillate over its stadium strategy and how the funds will be distributed.

Should ANZ Stadium fail to receive the investment required to make it a state-of-the-art rectangular venue, the deal to keep the grand final in Sydney will be placed in doubt. That would put the Queensland and Victorian governments on red alert, given both have made no secret of their desires to secure the grand final.

Both are willing to throw millions at the NRL to secure the event. As it is, they are likely to be pitted against each other for the grand finals that become available while ANZ Stadium is out of action.

Ayres was expected to take a recommendation on stadium investment before cabinet last week but that failed to eventuate, fuelling talk the Sports Minister was keen to secure more content to strengthen a push for more funds.

There has been talk he could request as much as $2 billion to enable Allianz and ANZ Stadiums to get complete overhauls. The NRL and its clubs are hanging on the outcome of the stadium imbroglio, with updated venues regarded as one of the keys as rugby league looks to address dwindling crowd numbers.

The NRL has made its stance clear. Greenberg has personally met Premier Gladys Berejiklian to stress the need to prioritise the upgrade of ANZ Stadium. The NRL and Football Federation Australia, along with western Sydney rugby league and football clubs, recently wrote a letter to Berejiklian reiterating their support for ANZ Stadium.

Other codes and clubs have pushed the need to prioritise Allianz Stadium. Claims that Allianz Stadium was a deathtrap have been laughed off by those in the rival camp. They point out that if the ground is a safety concern, what does that mean for some of the suburban grounds currently used in the NRL.

BlueandGold

Juniors
What a nothing article.

Ayres is trying to increase funding when he was just told by NSW finance minister that would not be happening.

Then he try's to go down the same rout he did last time before he got sidelined by Baird.

He wants more commitment from clubs to these stadiums.

We have already been through this Ayres you pelican.

Let me guess, your next move if the NRL does not commit to more games will be to threaten to give the funding to the AFL like you did last time.

How did that work out for ya...

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
he wants more money because the AFL told him they must upgrade their stadiums or they won't be giving him a high paying job once he leaves politics

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...l/news-story/cdc917fb9a16462aaac3e9804435aad7

NSW government may attempt to tighten its grip on NRL grand final

• The Australian
  • 12:00AM October 28, 2017
  • Brent Read
    8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a
The NSW government already has its hands on 20 years of grand finals, but it could look to extend its grip on the game’s showpiece event as part of a push to secure greater funding for Sydney’s major stadiums.

State Sports Minister Stuart Ayres has scheduled a meeting with NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg next week amid speculation he wants to secure more content for the city’s stadiums in return for greater investment in Allianz and ANZ Stadiums.

The NRL grand final was a key component of the deal announced by the state government last year, which aimed to spend $1.6 billion to redevelop Parramatta, ANZ and Allianz Stadiums.

Under the terms of the deal, the NRL guaranteed 20 years’ worth of grand finals for Sydney once ANZ Stadium was turned into a world-class rectangular venue.

There is talk that Ayres is now looking to significantly increase the funding to ensure none of the major stadiums miss out, but those plans could yet hinge on whether the NRL is willing to commit more grand finals to Sydney.

The NRL grand final is arguably the biggest-ticket item for the state government. As it stands, the deal struck last year is in danger of implosion as uncertainty surrounds the future of ANZ Stadium.

While the expectation is the venue will get the investment the NRL and its western Sydney clubs feel it deserves, the state government continues to vacillate over its stadium strategy and how the funds will be distributed.

Should ANZ Stadium fail to receive the investment required to make it a state-of-the-art rectangular venue, the deal to keep the grand final in Sydney will be placed in doubt. That would put the Queensland and Victorian governments on red alert, given both have made no secret of their desires to secure the grand final.

Both are willing to throw millions at the NRL to secure the event. As it is, they are likely to be pitted against each other for the grand finals that become available while ANZ Stadium is out of action.

Ayres was expected to take a recommendation on stadium investment before cabinet last week but that failed to eventuate, fuelling talk the Sports Minister was keen to secure more content to strengthen a push for more funds.

There has been talk he could request as much as $2 billion to enable Allianz and ANZ Stadiums to get complete overhauls. The NRL and its clubs are hanging on the outcome of the stadium imbroglio, with updated venues regarded as one of the keys as rugby league looks to address dwindling crowd numbers.

The NRL has made its stance clear. Greenberg has personally met Premier Gladys Berejiklian to stress the need to prioritise the upgrade of ANZ Stadium. The NRL and Football Federation Australia, along with western Sydney rugby league and football clubs, recently wrote a letter to Berejiklian reiterating their support for ANZ Stadium.

Other codes and clubs have pushed the need to prioritise Allianz Stadium. Claims that Allianz Stadium was a deathtrap have been laughed off by those in the rival camp. They point out that if the ground is a safety concern, what does that mean for some of the suburban grounds currently used in the NRL.

He lost me at the first sentence. What is great is this meeting that Ayres has organised for Greenberg is interesting. The Nrl has been on the same page from day one and it’s pretty simple. You build a brand new world class Anz stadium first and you get 20yrs of gf. *Plus give $40mil to Sydney clubs CoE. Plus a guaranteed 60-65 odd games in state owned stadiums. It’s that easy. The gf is worth $40-50 mil to the nsw economy. So would 1 x state of origin each yr. That’s $1.6bil over 20yrs just there. That’s without the other games taken into account.

The reason it’s interesting is that Greenberg has never deviated from his position. So why would Ayres want a meeting, Unless it is to change the goal posts? Clearly the nsw gov wants to keep the gf. Like I said in a previous post the gov might use the $40 mil CoE funds to entice the Nrl into accepting Allianz build first. They could offer all Sydney clubs a CoE cash injection above that of the $40 mil, that would more than satisfy the individual clubs. But would/should that be enough compensation for the Nrl? I don’t think it would go far enough and the gf should still move interstate.

The only way that I would accept a Allianz build first is if all these conditions were met.
Brand new rebuilt rectanglar stadium 2019 (not negotiable)
Free public transport to all Nrl games in nsw
All clubs who applied receive CoE funds $10mil each.
Renegotiation of stadium deals. (Better than current deals)
Lessen the commitment of games to the stadiums to 50. Any increase of games comes at a cost.
Mou on gov spending/access of rl in schools/school programs.

I personally dont think the nrl should entertain the idea of keeping the gf in Sydney unless Anz is rebuilt first. Full stop. Any of the other things I’ve brought up won’t be possible to achieve in such a short period of time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking like Gosford construction design

This seems to be the preferred design construct these days where you don't need interior space underneath the stand. Nib east stand was same with the food and toilets etc on a open concourse beneath, much cheaper way of doing it. That angle of seating is great, it makes a world of difference to how far from the action you feel when half way up and beyond. Eels fans are in for a treat. A decent team and they could easily sell out plenty of times a year.

https://goo.gl/images/dC1Tb9

https://goo.gl/images/qwbY4c

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Unless it was a hospital that needed replacing and without the money the hospital continued to have to exist in run down facilities for another decade or two. But yes its not like billions aren't going to health already. Stadiums are a funny thing though, in the grand scheme of things they actually benefit very few members of the community for the cost of them. It seems one of those things that to be seen as a liveable city you have to have big shiny stadiums.

I guess the appeal for Governments spending money on world class stadia is attracting major events which boosts the economy due to event tourism.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I guess the appeal for Governments spending money on world class stadia is attracting major events which boosts the economy due to event tourism.

True but in this case they have a stadium that already achieves that, and do you need Allianz and anz to achieve that return? I be why govts spend on stadium but I also get why non sports people question the amount

Suitman

Post Whore
True but in this case they have a stadium that already achieves that, and do you need Allianz and anz to achieve that return? I be why govts spend on stadium but I also get why non sports people question the amount

Because non-sports people always think the money should be better spent on health and education. The old go to - fall back argument.
Fact is atm, the NSW govt are spending billions on health, education AND transport AND sporting infrastructure, so those left wing whiners can stfu.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Because non-sports people always think the money should be better spent on health and education. The old go to - fall back argument.
Fact is atm, the NSW govt are spending billions on health, education AND transport AND sporting infrastructure, so those left wing whiners can stfu.

Hardly a "left wing" complain...

I though the RWers were te ones who wanted small government.

JonnoM

Juniors
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...r/news-story/dfa89dac86928d94ade2aa901caf62fe

ANDREW CLENNELL

Sydney’s two biggest sporting stadiums will be knocked down and rebuilt within the next four years as part of Premier Gladys Berejiklian’s $1.8 billion plan to transform the city’s sporting landscape and end the two-year-long stadium wars.

Sydney’s Allianz Stadium will be demolished next year and rebuilt by 2019 and ANZ Stadium knocked down in 2019 and reconfigured by 2021, under an ambitious timeline being pushed by Sports Minister Stuart Ayres that is said to have the backing of Ms Berejiklian.

Under the plan, Allianz, at inner-city Moore Park, would have a capacity of 45,000, and ANZ, at Olympic Park, a capacity of 75,000 — down from 85,000 — but it would be redesigned as a rectangular stadium.

The plan is aimed at raising Sydney’s stadiums to the quality of those recently built in Adelaide and Perth, and the facilities at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and the city’s Docklands.

But the plan, which could be put to cabinet as early as this week, has caused internal consternation, with Treasurer Dominic Perrottet and Deputy Premier John Barilaro arguing as to why the government should be spending more than $2bn on stadiums when it, like other governments, is under pressure to act on the cost of living.

The government has already spent $300 million building a new Parramatta Stadium in the city’s west.

Infrastructure Minister Andrew Constance is also said to favour rebuilding ANZ only.

The plan is understood to involve some State of Origin matches heading interstate while construction takes place. But Sydney would retain hosting rights for the NRL grand final, with Allianz to fill the gap while ANZ is being rebuilt.

The stadiums war has split the football codes with clubs using Allianz, including the popular Sydney FC, and the Australian Rugby Union, pushing hard for an Allianz rebuild and the NRL pushing for ANZ to be built first.

The NRL has set up meetings with ministers in a frantic last-minute bid to get the ANZ proposal up first.

Such has been the force of the NRL campaign that the code’s chief executive, Todd Greenberg, has met ministers not involved in the proposals to urge them to push in cabinet for an ANZ rebuild first.

“I am writing in relation to the NSW Government’s commitment to upgrade Sydney’s stadiums network,” Mr Greenberg has written to ministers.

“Whilst I know this issue does not fall within your portfolio responsibilities, I understand the important matter will be discussed in the coming month at cabinet.”

The letter points out the announcement in April last year by former premier Mike Baird that was “publicly supported by the NRL” involved a permanent rectangular configuration of ANZ at more than 70,000 seats with construction to start before March 2019 and “the refurbishment of the existing Allianz Stadium — with works to commence after the redevelopment of ANZ Stadium is completed, and in any event not before March 2019”.

But Mr Ayres, who is close to several people on the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust that runs Allianz Stadium, is understood to have won the Premier’s support on the need to get moving on Allianz.

Mr Ayres had always favoured an Allianz rebuild first but was slammed last year after he tried to slide past Mr Baird a plan not to build on the Allianz site, but on a nearby site at Moore Park, a move that would have been controversial, particularly in light of flak the Baird government received for ripping out century-old trees for its CBD light rail project.

JonnoM

Juniors
Cannot see Allianz getting knocked down in 2018 and completed in 2019.
It just wont happen as quick as they say.

The SCG trust look like they will be getting their way and the NRL need to show some balls and stand up.
We know what can happen from this..
The SFS will get it first.Construction will be delayed,costs will blow out and eventually construction will begin.Costs will continue to skyrocket to a point the ANZ will first of all be delayed and then finally,cancelled.
Unbelievable if the SFS gets first bite.

taipan

Referee
I smell AFL intrusion here if Allianz is completed first.Tony Shepherd on the SCG Trust and GWS Chairman would benefit if ANZ delayed,Why? So the fumblers can utilise the shebang still in oval mode for 2018/9/20 for semis etc.I would not trust him/them any more than I trust the honesty of Kim Jon Un.
These Jonny Come Lately mob have Govts by the short and curlies ,and i don;t mean haircuts.

Latest posts