What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

jim_57

Staff member
Be interesting to see if an un-holy alliance of Brisbane2, a second Brisbane A-League side and the QRU could get it over the line for an upgrade - I think it's capped at 18,000 right now due to the age of the western stand, but the rest of the ground isn't too bad.

I seem to recall one of the issues the Reds used to have was access - I'm just looking at GoogleMaps (I know nothing of Brisbane's geography) and it's sandwiched up against Breakfast Creek in a suburban area, striking me as a bit like Leichardt in regards to access issues. However Wilston railway station is only about 100 metres past the creek - I wonder if a new western stand coupled with a high-capacity footbridge over the creek could make it a viable second option? Especially if the QRU turned in the rights to the trust?

That would be an interesting option, I'm sure if money was pumped in to it including better access then QLD Reds and Brisbane Roar would take games there due to the more reasonable capacity.

Location of any potential mid-sized rectangular stadium in Brisbane is a tricky one. Do they keep the central stadium theme going (if possible) or do they build on the outskirts? I'd have to imagine a new stadium would be dependant on Reds, Roar and a 2nd Brisbane NRL team playing games there, maybe even a second A-league team. In which case another central stadium would probably be the only way all dependant parties agree to it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Went to Dolphin Oval yesterday to have a look at the upgrades in progress. Really impressive setup and stadium that the Dolphins have - especially for a state league team.

That would be an interesting option, I'm sure if money was pumped in to it including better access then QLD Reds and Brisbane Roar would take games there due to the more reasonable capacity.

Location of any potential mid-sized rectangular stadium in Brisbane is a tricky one. Do they keep the central stadium theme going (if possible) or do they build on the outskirts? I'd have to imagine a new stadium would be dependant on Reds, Roar and a 2nd Brisbane NRL team playing games there, maybe even a second A-league team. In which case another central stadium would probably be the only way all dependant parties agree to it.

To me any 2nd Brisbane NRL team needs to play at Suncorp if it wants to compete with the broncos, a mid sized ground would be limiting their support. Unless perhaps if a 30k seater got built. 20-25k feels too small.

El Diablo

Post Whore
If we were going to rip off another stadium, my favourite would be Mosaic Stadium in Regina, Saskatchewan:

images

34,000 seats - $278 million.
stands look too far back

jim_57

Staff member
To me any 2nd Brisbane NRL team needs to play at Suncorp if it wants to compete with the broncos, a mid sized ground would be limiting their support. Unless perhaps if a 30k seater got built. 20-25k feels too small.

I'm in 2 minds, it would depend on the bid and where a smaller stadium was. If Western Corridor or a North Eastern bid got up then a stadium in those areas would be good for 4 games with the rest at Suncorp.. but Roar and Reds probably wouldn't go for it which means it wouldn't be viable unfortunately.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.titans.com.au/news/2018/04/19/club-statement-re-stadium-costs/

Club Statement re Stadium Costs

Titans.com.au
Thu 19 Apr 2018, 08:00 PM

The wonderful success of the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast has demonstrated the value that high-profile sport delivers to the community through a variety of beneficial health and social impacts – not just outcomes on the sporting stage. Few could argue the inspiration provided by some of the best athletes in the world over the past few weeks has had a profound influence on motivating all segments of the community to unite together and participate.

The Government invested heavily in bringing the Games to the Gold Coast to derive the long-term economic and social benefits that will last long into the future by way of legacy. There is now a great opportunity for the momentum generated by the Games to be carried forward by local sporting codes and organisations that provide similar community inspiration and healthy lifestyle benefits on a constant basis.

The work the Gold Coast Titans undertake in the local community delivers invaluable benefits and social impacts that would otherwise be the responsibility of Government agencies. The Titans undertake this work at our own cost as good corporate citizens because we see the difference it makes in the lives of people every day. The community initiatives that the Titans support are across multiple important areas including education, indigenous programs, and grass roots development.

It is in this context the Titans would like to publicly address a number of inaccuracies and false assertions currently circulating with regards to hiring arrangements at Cbus Super Stadium.
At the outset it is important to note that this club, its owners, and its management enjoy an excellent working relationship with the Queensland Government, and we have always been very cognisant of the government’s responsibility to prudently manage tax-payer funds.

As such, the Titans have never sought Government assistance to underwrite the operating costs of our business as has been insinuated. Our only objective throughout discussions with government stretching over the past 3½ years, has been to reach a long-term agreement on fair commercial terms similar to those in place for NRL clubs hiring Government owned venues in other states.

The difference between Government charges currently imposed on the Titans and those in place for very similar facilities in NSW is approaching $500k per annum. The inevitable consequence of this type of inequality is that further upward pressure is placed on ticket prices for our loyal members and fans who are also taxpayers contributing to the Government for the provision of sporting facilities and other essential infrastructure.

The Sports Ministers reported public comments are disappointing and are indifferent to the value and contribution of sport to local communities and the overall fabric of society. The inference that only winning clubs have a right to survive goes against every accepted national trait we try to instil in young Australians encouraging participation, sportsmanship, and continuously striving to improve regardless of results.

The Gold Coast Titans currently run the lowest cost and most efficient operation in the NRL competition, yet the club still operates at a loss. A large component of that loss is the difference between the stadium charges imposed on the Titans and the charges imposed on other interstate clubs. Having recently transitioned from NRL ownership, the structure of the clubs’ new private ownership strictly requires any operating surplus to be reinvested in the club, the community, and the further development of the game in our region.

The Titans seek no recognition or benefit from Government for meeting our social responsibilities in the spirit of carrying on the legacy of the Commonwealth Games. We simply seek fair commercial hiring terms for our stadium comparable to Government owned venues in other states.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...t/news-story/f638d6dd0954c8064f7da375b6e43f0a

Gold Coast sport clubs handicapped by unfair charges from Queensland Government

Gold Coast Bulletin
April 20, 2018 12:00am

WHO the hell does Mick de Brenni think he is?

Here’s a bloke who’s never had a job — having worked his way up the ranks as a union hack — bagging the Gold Coast and its footy teams from his Brisbane ivory tower.

A scan of the sports minister’s CV betrays a stark absence of corporate or private sector experience.

Perhaps that helps explain his ignorant and stupid response to a legitimate, considered and rational case put forward by the Suns and the Titans to end the unfair tax on their businesses by the State Government.

Mr de Brenni has angered people across this city with his suggestion that our clubs are financially struggling because they are losers.

No Minister, you are the loser.

Your suggestion that the clubs’ problems would dissolve if only they started winning ignores one glaring inconvenient truth: they are handicapped by the unfair charges with which your government slugs them.

The facts are that both the Suns, with their onerous sinking fund charge, and the Titans, with their expensive rental bill, are short changed by the Queensland Government, via Stadiums Queensland.

To break it down more simply, let’s start with the Suns.

They are charged the highest transport and police costs in the AFL, at the insistence of Stadiums Queensland.

It amounts to about $8 per spectator, compared to about $2 per fan at the MCG.

Secondly, they are forced to pay $850,000 a year into the sinking fund which is established to fund refurbishments as the stadium ages.

However, that charge was based on the assumption that Metricon would host 24 events each year. Since its inception, the most it has ever hosted is 13.

So if usage is 50 per cent of what was projected, it follows that the funding requirement for refurbishment should fall.

Moreover, the Government has just spent up to $30 million sprucing up the stadium for the just-completed Commonwealth Games.

Hence, much of the expected deterioration of the arena has already been fixed.

But Mr de Brenni’s department mandarins hide behind a legalistic argument that because there was no clause stipulating that the contract with the Suns could be reviewed, it must stay in place unchanged for 25 years.

This is just plain silly and the government should know better.

In the case of the Titans, the rent charged amounts to an unfair tax that leaves the club $500,000 worse off per year than its Sydney rivals.

CBUS has also never been properly developed to cater for parking. The difficulty patrons have to get there acts as a deterrent to building consistently higher crowds.

Moreover, CBUS lacks the surrounding amenities enjoyed by Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium. It’s a regional stadium yet its tenant is charged big-city rates.

If, as the Government insists, these charges are reasonable, why is it that neither Metricon nor CBUS attract any other events?

In the case of CBUS, the Titans are the only tenants. If this unfair tax helps kill them off, the Government will have a shiny stadium that nobody uses.

It’s time the Government got fair dinkum and ended this Brisbane-centric bias against the Gold Coast.

Timbo

Staff member

Isn’t there a cap on the maximum number of matches played at Suncorp each year due to local restrictions?

Timbo

Staff member
Also, I feel like for their first ten or so years, 25k would be mostly ideal for Brisbane2.

You'd play ten of their home games at their small stadium, and derbys against the Broncos and Titans at Suncorp.

Be interesting to see if an un-holy alliance of Brisbane2, a second Brisbane A-League side and the QRU could get it over the line for an upgrade - I think it's capped at 18,000 right now due to the age of the western stand, but the rest of the ground isn't too bad.

I seem to recall one of the issues the Reds used to have was access - I'm just looking at GoogleMaps (I know nothing of Brisbane's geography) and it's sandwiched up against Breakfast Creek in a suburban area, striking me as a bit like Leichardt in regards to access issues. However Wilston railway station is only about 100 metres past the creek - I wonder if a new western stand coupled with a high-capacity footbridge over the creek could make it a viable second option? Especially if the QRU turned in the rights to the trust?

It appears there is already a development proposal in place for upgrading Ballymore - http://www.ballymore.com.au/home/#develop

Also the deed trust from the Qld Government to the QRU for Ballymore vests the land where Ballymore is located to the QRU in perpetuity.

beave

Coach
Isn’t there a cap on the maximum number of matches played at Suncorp each year due to local restrictions?

I know there’s a cap on the amount of concerts the joint can hold each year, I think it’s 4-5??? Football, I don’t think there’s a cap, @SLRBRONCOS will probably know.

Timbo

Staff member
It appears there is already a development proposal in place for upgrading Ballymore - http://www.ballymore.com.au/home/#develop

Also the deed trust from the Qld Government to the QRU for Ballymore vests the land where Ballymore is located to the QRU in perpetuity.

Hmmm, whilst that's a bit problematic I'm sure the QRU would compromise if it meant getting their upgrade. Perhaps control of the ground is temporarily handed over to Brisbane2 and BrisbaneA-League2 on match days?

I mean, from the little bit of research I did yesterday it seems as though if Brisbane wants a secondary 25k stadium, Ballymore is by far the best option - it's 85% there already. It's just rebuilding the western stand, sorting out the access and giving the rest of the ground a lick of paint.

johnny plath

Juniors

Could they do something with this shithole on the Southside of Brisbane... broncos averaged mid 40ks there in the 90s. think it just sits pretty idle now, athletics do stuff there occaisonally, but they also have facilites out back of the stadium from memory.
anz.jpg

johnny plath

Juniors
I'm pretty sure there is because I think one season when the roar and reds made finals it was creating some drama on the ground being over used for the season.. not sure of exact details too. Suncorp also has some sort of limitation that restricts it from being used before a certain time on week days because of public transport impacts. This is a reason stated why no Friday 6pm games at Suncorp.

Timbo

Staff member
Could they do something with this shithole on the Southside of Brisbane... broncos averaged mid 40ks there in the 90s. think it just sits pretty idle now, athletics do stuff there occaisonally, but they also have facilites out back of the stadium from memory.
anz.jpg

I'm pretty certain it's in a fairly bad state of decay - I think I read at one point it was being used as a university carpark?

Also, capacity is way too big for a second stadium and athletics track around the outside, you're always going to be miles from the field. There's very little to recommend here.

johnny plath

Juniors
I'm pretty certain it's in a fairly bad state of decay - I think I read at one point it was being used as a university carpark?

Also, capacity is way too big for a second stadium and athletics track around the outside, you're always going to be miles from the field. There's very little to recommend here.
fair enough... thought maybe just pull out those far away stands on the ends and bring them up to the edge of the field in line with/connecting with the side stands... f**k the athletics track off. That set up there has capacity of about 60k which is way overs, but reduced and closer may be plausible... just seems a waste of a stadium atm.

Timbo

Staff member
fair enough... thought maybe just pull out those far away stands on the ends and bring them up to the edge of the field in line with/connecting with the side stands... f**k the athletics track off. That set up there has capacity of about 60k which is way overs, but reduced and closer may be plausible... just seems a waste of a stadium atm.

The issue would remain the sidelines - you're miles from the sideline because those stands are fixed.

A bit of googling tells me that it's still the main athletics venue in Brisbane, so probably stuck with the Athletics track.