What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
a 35k stadium in that area is going to be great for the game. I hope more than just the eels play out of it though, wasted opportunity if we keep using the horrible ANZ.

Suitman

Post Whore
a 35k stadium in that area is going to be great for the game. I hope more than just the eels play out of it though, wasted opportunity if we keep using the horrible ANZ.

Church Street {Eat Street} is a hive of activity on Wanderers home game days. Massive amount of patronage for the city centre restaurants and businesses.
The amount of building going on in the city is amazing.

In 15 years time, the 35000 seater will already be out of date.

Suity

unforgiven

Bench
Fair enough.
We can agree on one thing - we want to grow the sport.
Before the Wanderers came along, I was an advocate of taking Eels games to ANZ. I didn't believe we should be locking people out of Pirtek, and denying fans the chance to see the game.

However,

Since the Wanderers have refused to take clearly bigger games to bigger stadiums, they have created a demand for season tickets that ensures fans will get into the games they want. That is building a supporter base, which they have now done.
On the other hand, the Eels for example, take most of their bigger games to the larger stadium. Fans then, know they will always be able to get a ticket, and subsequently, don't buy a membership. Aussies are lazy and complacent. Memberships are a huge money spinner for clubs.
The Wanderers now have over 16000 season ticket holders (capped) with a waiting list.
They are not the be all and end all of anything, but they HAVE shown that firstly, they will play where fans want them to play, and secondly, they have created the demand requiring an upgraded stadium.

I now think that the Eels should also do the same until such time they can demand the need to play in a bigger stadium as required.
Pirtek is being rebuilt. No question. The Wanderers are pushing harder for a larger stadium and a more specific football stadium (steep tiers). I really hope the Eels can make the most of this help.
As I said before, you asked a good question, and I'm trying to explain the answer I gave the best I can.

Suity

I agree with all your points. The plan for Eels moving forward should be as you have pointed out. However that plan as to fit in with the whole game strategy and that needs to include events like the easter monday clash between the eels and tigers. If that means the Eels move a home game once rvery season or 2, then the Eels just need to suck it up and play it at Homebush.

I can't wait for Parra stadium yo be rebuilt and i actually hope that the fact all these stadiums will be controlled by the same trust that it will allowsome of the other teams to transfer their deals for Homebush to parra allowing more than one team to use what will hopefully become the premier venue for league.

Suitman

Post Whore
I agree with all your points. The plan for Eels moving forward should be as you have pointed out. However that plan as to fit in with the whole game strategy and that needs to include events like the easter monday clash between the eels and tigers. If that means the Eels move a home game once rvery season or 2, then the Eels just need to suck it up and play it at Homebush.

I can't wait for Parra stadium yo be rebuilt and i actually hope that the fact all these stadiums will be controlled by the same trust that it will allowsome of the other teams to transfer their deals for Homebush to parra allowing more than one team to use what will hopefully become the premier venue for league.

Agreed with all.
I just hope, that when the final plans are made public, that we get a decent 35000 seat stadium out of this. It can't be a band aid 30000 k solution.
It has to be something really new and innovative in this country.
For god's sake, countries like Turkey and other Euro/Asian and American places are building dozens of these things as we speak.
We are so isolated here from the rest of the world, yet many other places are leaving us well behind.
At times, this country is a disgrace.
I hope we can at least get this stadium right.

Suity

Perth Red

Post Whore
Drove past the new burswood stadium construction last night. First section is up, looks like it will have same problem as every other Australian stadium, roofline that protects about 20% of people from rain. What is it with this country and its false belief that it never rains in winter?

perth-stadium-roof-truss-installation.jpg

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade

Personally I don't think we're at a point where we can really complain about a sold out 35K stadium for a regular season match. Personally I'd rather see them sell out Parra stadium and really showcase what the ground is capable of and encourage people to come back. Create a real fortress atmosphere for the homeside. When you know every game is going to be played there, even the blockbuster ones, it makes you want to be a season ticket holder.

Where do you draw the line anyway. The easter Monday match is likely to draw more than 35K each year going forward. Truth is the dogs v parra is likely too as well. Should we start moving that game as well? I think they should play every regular season match at their home ground. Reward to the fans who go their every week and want to see the biggest game of the year at their usual ground.

It's good for the fans and it's a great look for the game. It also drives memberships and season ticket holders which is good for the club.

Personally I don't think we're at a point where we can really complain about a sold out 35K stadium for a regular season match. Personally I'd rather see them sell out Parra stadium and really showcase what the ground is capable of and encourage people to come back. Create a real fortress atmosphere for the homeside. When you know every game is going to be played there, even the blockbuster ones, it makes you want to be a season ticket holder.

Where do you draw the line anyway. The easter Monday match is likely to draw more than 35K each year going forward. Truth is the dogs v parra is likely too as well. Should we start moving that game as well? I think they should play every regular season match at their home ground. Reward to the fans who go their every week and want to see the biggest game of the year at their usual ground.

It's good for the fans and it's a great look for the game. It also drives memberships and season ticket holders which is good for the club.

Agrer. If Parra commit to 12 games at a modern 35k venue, they could soon be the biggest club in Sydney and the envy of the league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is it likely, if the $'s are right, that the Bulldogs would play out of the new stadium as well? What about Tigers? I guess Souths would ideally be at the new Moore park stadium along with Roosters?

It's a shame Manly don't move to Gosford and play 3 games at Brookvale and 9 in Gosford as that would help resolve their dire stadium issue

Souths and roosters and some St's games at new Moore Park
Parra,Bulldogs and Tigers at new western Sydney stadium

Starting to sort out the Sydney stadium problem. Penrith, Manly & Cronulla are going to have to get their acts together or could be left behind if they don't have decent modern venues with good corporate facilities.

Last edited:

gallagher

Juniors
Is it likely, if the $'s are right, that the Bulldogs would play out of the new stadium as well? What about Tigers? I guess Souths would ideally be at the new Moore park stadium along with Roosters?

It's a shame Manly don't move to Gosford and play 3 games at Brookvale and 9 in Gosford as that would help resolve their dire stadium issue

Starting to sort out the Sydney stadium problem. Penrith, Manly & Cronulla are going to have to get their acts together or could be left behind if they don't have decent modern venues with good corporate facilities.

Tigers CEO Pascoe has said that they need to be playing out of one stadium. You'd assume a rebuilt Parra would be the best option.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Makes sense, you need to get fans into the habit of going to games and being used to a home ground. No wonder the Tigers memberships are abysmal, I bet if you looked at how many are full season members it would be pathetically low. Also will give them chance to rebrand a bit and launch themselves as a full region club rather than a 1/2 and 1/2 that they appear at the moment with two crappy home ground and one giant one.

alien

Referee

there are more rabbitohs fans in western sydney than in the south sydney area. half of the home games could be at the new parra stadium or anz stadium

there are more rabbitohs fans in western sydney than in the south sydney area. half of the home games could be at the new parra stadium or anz stadium

And literally from yesterday in the expansion forum when justifying Southz position in a potential rationalisation of Sydney clubs.

i wasn't talking about where they play. if they were the inner city team, like i suggested, they would probably play at the upgraded sfs

alien

Referee
And literally from yesterday in the expansion forum when justifying Southz position in a potential rationalisation of Sydney clubs.

if certain teams were to relocate out of sydney and rabbitohs were the only team in the inner city, then they would probably play out of an upgraded sfs, because after a while they would pick up new supporters from the inner city area and they would be the only team who would play at the upgraded sfs

unforgiven

Bench

What the NRL has started to do with big event games needs to continue. We definitely need to look at building games played on special days, i.e Anzac Day, Good Friday and Easter Monday. These games need to continue, not for the benefit of the clubs but for thr benefit of the game as a whole. Part of that is building a tradition with big event games. You create a tradition for families to go to the easter show then walk across to the ground for the big game in the afternoon. I'd go as far as providing free entry to people with tickets to the show. This then leads to an increase in fan and members to clubs involved. If you do this it leads to the club having 1 less game at their home ground over
2 year period

unforgiven

Bench
Tigers CEO Pascoe has said that they need to be playing out of one stadium. You'd assume a rebuilt Parra would be the best option.

Tigers are 2 years into a 10 year contract with ANZ, so hopefully the new stadium trust allows them to transfer that contract to the new parra stadium.

beave

Coach
if certain teams were to relocate out of sydney and rabbitohs were the only team in the inner city, then they would probably play out of an upgraded sfs, because after a while they would pick up new supporters from the inner city area and they would be the only team who would play at the upgraded sfs

Yeah well not everyone changes teams as quickly or easily as some..........

Last edited:

slm9

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nrl-clubs...fter-baird-policy-switch-20160210-gmqq96.html

Sydney's stadium plans are set to be overhauled with six NRL clubs close to agreeing to ask the Baird government to scrap a new stadium at Moore Park and upgrade the Sydney Olympic Park stadium instead.

In the past fortnight Premier Mike Baird asked the NRL for its opinion on the government's current plans to direct about $800 million of $1 billion in funding to replacing the inner-city Allianz stadium and $200 million to ANZ stadium at Olympic Park.

If the NRL and six Sydney-based clubs would like those funding levels switched to turn ANZ Stadium into a premium rectangular venue, the government is likely to agree.
Sea of colour: South Africa's Cheslin Kolbe touches down in front of a huge crowd at Allianz Stadium earlier this month.

That would mean ditching plans to build a new stadium at Moore Park, frustrating the powerful Sydney Cricket & Sports Ground Trust which would have to be content with refurbishing the 45,000 seat Allianz stadium.
Advertisement

The Sydney Roosters, Canterbury Bulldogs, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Wests Tigers, St George Illawarra Dragons and Parramatta Eels were approached a fortnight ago and have been discussing the best way to use the government funding.

The matter has been deemed urgent, with the state government hopeful of an answer by the end of the month.
If the clubs request the funding switch, it could represent a remarkable turn-around in policy after Mr Baird committed to building the new stadium at Moore Park only in September.
But the departure of former NRL chief executive Dave Smith, who was a proponent of the SCG Trust's stadium plans, has created the opportunity for the re-think.
When Mr Baird and Sports Minister Stuart Ayres announced the funding split, it was as part of an overall $1.6 billion stadium funding package. The first stadium to be built would be a replacement for Pirtek Stadium in Parramatta, but ANZ and Allianz would then share about $1 billion.

However the decision to direct the bulk of that money to a 55,000 seat replacement for Allianz was criticised last year on the grounds that that stadium rarely sold out, and that the majority of rugby league fans lived closer to Olympic Park.

Souths chief executive John Lee, a former director-general of NSW Transport, said on Wednesday that planning policy for major sporting infrastructure was predominantly focused on access – "pedestrian, car and public transport access to the precinct."
"Olympic Park is superior in two of the three criteria," Mr Lee told Fairfax Media.
"We all tried Allianz years ago and it's a great boutique little stadium but it's not the premium rectangle," said Mr Lee, adding that Olympic Park was closer to the geographic centre of Sydney, and had much better public transport and parking.

"We are all in furious agreement in the clubs that Homebush was designed for a sports carnival and it needs to be redesigned for the best rectangular events sports in the country: eg. a Bledisloe, Australia qualifying for the World Cup, State of Origin," he said.
The potential about-turn comes after the Sports Minister Stuart Ayres inflamed tensions in the inner city by appearing to support a push by the SCG Trust to build a new stadium on Kippax Lake, on land managed by the neighbouring Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust.

"If you move the stadium, for instance, the space where the existing stadium is can be redeveloped as open recreational green space, it can be redeveloped as playing fields," Mr Ayres told ABC702 on Wednesday morning.

But building a stadium on Centennial Park land would contradict a cabinet decision last year that any new stadium at Moore Park would need to be on SCG land.
The comments triggered an immediate outcry. The chairman of the Centennial Park Trust, Tony Ryan, said: "We were disappointed to learn of the comments of the minister which appear to contradict the government's stated position regarding the Allianz Stadium redevelopment."

But Mr Ayres told Fairfax Media that he was not supporting the idea of a stadium on Centennial Park land.

"The government has a clear stated intention to build a new stadium and it intends to build that stadium on land that is administered by the SCG Trust," Mr Ayres said.
It may yet emerge, however, that no new stadium is built at Moore Park. It is understood that the Roosters support the idea of a refurbished Allianz, rather than a new stadium that would be rarely filled.

The NRL met with the six clubs last week, presenting detailed facts and figures about patronage at different venues. It is understood the NRL is keen for ANZ Stadium to receive the bulk of the funding – a proposition the clubs are set to approve at another meeting in a fortnight.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
DSmith seemed to be the one pushing for an SFS redevelopment. I reckon he wanted to refocus the RL centre of Sydney there, closer to the cbd.

oh well.....

Latest posts