What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Yes, with regular maintenance and some upgrades where necessary. Look at some of the components of the SCG.

Concrete should last that long.

The economics for a stadium are generally really bad. At the end of the day someone has to pay. And it looks like the dad taking his kids to the game is going to be left holding the bag for this one.

The only components of the SCG that are that old are the members & ladies stand, they’re kept because of their heritage value. If the SCG looked like it did 100 years ago it’d be farcical.

No one does 100 year planning in construction, there’s too many variables.

You could perhaps stretch a very well built stadium to 50-60 year period, but nowhere near 100 years.

I agree the economics of stadiums aren’t great, but that’s from a private sector perspective. From a govt perspective stadiums actually have a better ROI than many other things they build.

taipan

Referee
if the WSW do the same then they'll have to do something or risk having a new stadium with no tennants

Nah, gimp Shepherd will come in ,have it reconfigured to oval shape ,so the Gnats can become the lead tenants.
He wants ANZ retained as is.

Quicksilver

Bench
The only components of the SCG that are that old are the members & ladies stand, they’re kept because of their heritage value. If the SCG looked like it did 100 years ago it’d be farcical.

No one does 100 year planning in construction, there’s too many variables.

You could perhaps stretch a very well built stadium to 50-60 year period, but nowhere near 100 years.

I agree the economics of stadiums aren’t great, but that’s from a private sector perspective. From a govt perspective stadiums actually have a better ROI than many other things they build.

Simply not true.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Probably should have been discussed before the government decided to demolish a perfectly good stadium.
You said that already - one could suggest you might have an agenda here.

(Also, not sure what you're on, because Pirtek was f**king rubbish. Definitely needed a rebuild. If WSW weren't part of the story - sure, persist with minor upgrades. But the joint is now in use year-round and needed replacing)

All seated, barely ever filled to capacity (especially for Rugby League).

Yes, rubbish.

All seated? Did you look at the northern and southern ends of the ground?

Eh. Refer to @Suitman's replies, he has a better idea than most.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm not the one making the initial claim. Not up to me to provide evidence.
Do you mean to tell me that you believe stadia don't provide governments an ROI when they have massive tourism-draw ability? You know stadia like these get used for more than just a few NRL club games, right?

Quicksilver

Bench
In this day and age, the toilets, dressing rooms, and catering and corporate facilities were nothing short of appalling.

All of which I'm sure could be upgraded at far less of a cost.

I don't knock down the whole house because I need a new sink and toilet.

Timmah

Staff member
All of which I'm sure could be upgraded at far less of a cost.

I don't knock down the whole house because I need a new sink and toilet.
Those four items combined as a refit of existing facilities could well have blown the budget to the point where a knock-down made more sense.

With increased usage placing further strain on already aging facilities (i.e. the introduction of WSW meaning year-round use), there's no reason basis for saying this redevelopment was unnecessary.

(and I'm really not sure what you're achieving by bitching about it now).

Quicksilver

Bench
Do you mean to tell me that you believe stadia don't provide governments an ROI when they have massive tourism-draw ability? You know stadia like these get used for more than just a few NRL club games, right?

They really don't provide that much. Particularly when you're replacing something that already exists with something completely similar. There are very few events that could be held in Sydney now that wouldn't have been held here previously. The dollar returns are actually appalling.

We all like new stuff. It's fun for a while. But this money is wasteful to the extreme.

At the end of the day these things are just built so that people can sit and watch stuff. The requirements are always the same. There's a few toilets and some shops. Whoopty doo. The actual demands for how many shits and pisses a patron has to take in the space of two hours doesn't change in the space of 50 years.

Even corporate areas are just open boxes with a bit of a fit-out.

Quicksilver

Bench
Those four items combined as a refit of existing facilities could well have blown the budget to the point where a knock-down made more sense.

With increased usage placing further strain on already aging facilities (i.e. the introduction of WSW meaning year-round use), there's no reason basis for saying this redevelopment was unnecessary.

(and I'm really not sure what you're achieving by bitching about it now).

Vested interests would say that.

The place gets used what? once every two weeks? Hardly heavy traffic for a concrete structure with some replaceable fixtures like seats. Compare that to the foot traffic that might go through a high rise city building for instance. I don't see them getting torn down all that often and they have far more people moving through. They are regularity refurbished though.

Quicksilver

Bench
I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed when we see the result of this. I'm predicting a minor uptick in crowds for a season or two at most. Maybe even a few games. Then we'll just go back to business as usual. People go for the game. Not the stadium. At the end of the day it's a seat. Service will still be shit because bars and shops will be understaffed.

Quicksilver

Bench
Im sorry, did you think Parramatta is a "perfectly good stadium"
AHHAHAHAHAh

What do you need exactly to enhance your game day experience? What do you think this new thing is going to provide?

What will get you to drag your ass out of the lounge room that didn't exist before?

If you were keen to go to the old stadium, you'll go to the new one. But if you're impressed by flashing LEDs then I'd expect that novelty will last about 3 minutes.

M2D2

Bench
What do you need exactly to enhance your game day experience? What do you think this new thing is going to provide?

What will get you to drag your ass out of the lounge room that didn't exist before?

If you were keen to go to the old stadium, you'll go to the new one. But if you're impressed by flashing LEDs then I'd expect that novelty will last about 3 minutes.
So no proof in your statement at all. Just bullshit ramblings. Kay.

Quicksilver

Bench
So no proof in your statement at all. Just bullshit ramblings. Kay.

Who ever provides proof of anything in this debate? The government certainly hasn't.

This thread is full of dreamers. Which is nice.

Show me the specific problems with the old joint.

M2D2

Bench
Who ever provides proof of anything in this debate? The government certainly hasn't.

This thread is full of dreamers. Which is nice.

Show me the specific problems with the old joint.
Packed in like sardines, horrible seats, incredibly ancient architecture. The whole western side was utterly crap. Not enough seats for the area which is sorely needed and has been fixed with the rebuild
As someone who went to parramatta for 3 years to wanderers games, of the three stadiums that needed a knockdown and rebuild, it was that one.
You want to use the Fitzy argument, at least use it for the stadiums that a complete knockdown and rebuild that werent as decrepit as parramatta stadium.

Latest posts