What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

jargan83

Coach
Doesn’t the SFS in its current state fail OH&S guidlines and evacuation standards?

If so isn’t the potential Labour government going to expose themselves to being sued if something did go wrong at the stadium?

Timbo

Staff member
Doesn’t the SFS in its current state fail OH&S guidlines and evacuation standards?

If so isn’t the potential Labour government going to expose themselves to being sued if something did go wrong at the stadium?

Whoever is elected has essentially four options:

1 - Leave a derelict SFS on the edge of the city in an entertainment precinct unused.
2 - Go through with the full whizz-bang rebuild.
3 - Build a more austere club-focused stadium.
4 - Renovate the SFS at a cost somewhere nearing option 2 for the worst result.

I think if the coalition is returned we'll end up with option 3 but I think the ALP would be stupid enough for option 4 and spin it as being the previous governments fault.

Suitman

Post Whore

1 - Leave a derelict SFS on the edge of the city in an entertainment precinct unused.

I think if the coalition is returned we'll end up with option 3 but I think the ALP would be stupid enough for option 4 and spin it as being the previous governments fault.

If the Coalition is returned, won't they just go ahead with their plan for a complete re-build?

Timbo

Staff member
If the Coalition is returned, won't they just go ahead with their plan for a complete re-build?

If they’re returned they’re going to be a minority government based on current numbers. They’ll have to trade something away to get it through.

GAZF

First Grade
You can change standards.
In your experience, do standards/guidelines that are relaxed typically stay that way long term? If changing them is considered both safe and cost effective now, could the same issues condemn the place (even after a costly renovation) 10-15 years down the track?

If they’re returned they’re going to be a minority government based on current numbers. They’ll have to trade something away to get it through.

I don't think the construction is a legislative issue.

Perhaps parliament could pass legislation banning the construction, but I don't think they need any legislation to go ahead with it. They've already signed contracts, it's all systems go unless that contract is cancelled by someone or something.

I don't think the construction is a legislative issue.

Perhaps parliament could pass legislation banning the construction, but I don't think they need any legislation to go ahead with it.

Correct on both counts. It is only the financing of the construction which may require legislation, but that might be rolled into the state budget as opposed to being its own legislation.

morley101

Juniors
I’d welcome their sacking, but he talks about replacing them. They’ll just be more vested interests, this time Labor supporters.

Better yet we hand the grounds over to Venues NSW.
The last time we a labor dominated SCG trust we ended up with the "Pat Hills" grandstand at the SCG...

The last time we a labor dominated SCG trust we ended up with the "Pat Hills" grandstand at the SCG...

Consider the incident you are talking about was in 1986, and the ALP were last in office from 1995 to 2011 I don't think you are quite correct there as I doubt the SCG trust was not Labor dominated during the period I mentioned somehow.

Quicksilver

Bench
In your experience, do standards/guidelines that are relaxed typically stay that way long term? If changing them is considered both safe and cost effective now, could the same issues condemn the place (even after a costly renovation) 10-15 years down the track?

Sometimes.

10-15 years down the track is a decent extension of a lifespan for a stadium of this age.

siv

First Grade

Option 5 tear it down and build a car park and office blocks

And consign it history like the Showground, SCG #2 and the SSG

siv

First Grade
Can't SFS be replaced with a Western Sydney Stadium MK2 at a vastly cheaper price than what is proposed, and Homebush properly revamped?

SFS replacement doesn't have to be more than 30k, no?

If you build something you have to cater for 15k SCG members as the public cannot sit in those seats. WSS corporate area is too small to house 15k

siv

First Grade
I lived in the Blue Mountains for a number of years, so yes I have used regional trains.

North Strathfield will interchange with the metro, it wouldn’t surprise me to see that station included on the regional stops because of this.

Some people will need to continue to interchange, very hard to design a new train line to suit everyone. There’s always compromises.

The Western Metro is still a long long way off

Light rail extension of Light Rail to Strathfield is medium term

So using the current rail line better eg Olympic timetable is the best short term answer

If you build something you have to cater for 15k SCG members as the public cannot sit in those seats. WSS corporate area is too small to house 15k

There’s not 15k Gold Membership’s, only about half that. Plus the by-laws could be changed to require people to book a seat.

Or you could buy back the memberships completely.