What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Rooster8

Juniors
Have we ever thought about upgrading Refern Oval? I understand it's council property, but I think converting it into a regular multi-purpose stadium would be more useful. It could accommodate Rabbits, lower grades and Sydney FC/Waratahs potentially if SFS/SCG is in use in the future. It is close to various transport hubs additionally. Something like the photo below would be idea (30,000 cap).
Stadium_city_1.png

If this is successful, that means the only competition team playing out of ANZ would be bulldogs. If we could use the ANZ redevelopment funding and redirect it to upgrade Redfern and Belmore Oval (see proposed redevelopment below), we could leave it as only a SOO, Grand Final, Concerts, World Cup venue. Although I would like to see the Grand Final in different locations like the Super Bowl (ANZ, Allianz, Suncorp, MCG/Etihad).
Stadium_Bulldogs.jpeg.png

I also understand that Souths use Redfern as a training facility. This can be accommodated by building a $30-$60 Million facility around spare grounds in Matraville. Souths already have a great youth program (speaking as a Roosters supporter), so would be a great investment to build a training facility.
Rabbits training.png

Roosters as well, on the other hand, deserve a training facility too. Leave the Moore Park public fields open to the public, and further build a facility where they train half of the time - E S Marks Athletics Field in the Moore Park. This upgrade could potentially cost anywhere from $40-90 Million based on the facility. It would only be around 1km South of the SCG/SFS additionally. See the proposed below.
Roosters training ground.png

How is that any different to Roma St in Brisbane? All the rail lines go through Roma St, but somehow QLD can build an entertainment centre right over the tracks?

Just so you can see what I'm talking about, here is a view of Central Railway Station in Sydney -

By comparison, this is Roma Street Station in Brisbane -

I raise the issue as I go through Central Station every day on my way to and from work. the land adjoining the rail lines is already heavily developed, especially on the western side with apartment buildings.

Also the Sydney Rail system is designed around the Sydney CBD. You would cut all bar the Eastern Suburbs rail line if you had to close Central completely for even a few weeks to start the construction work. You need room to store things when you are doing construction and there is no real room around Central to put the kind of stuff you would need to keep to hand to do it.

If you know more than me, please enlighten me. However don't just go "oh they did it in city x so it can be done here" as not all cities have a rail system with as many bottlenecks as our system does nor being as centralised to funnel people to one point.

You make a fair point about central, and I don’t know enough to say for sure what they could do. But we do know this issue of building over central lines has been canvassed by others, pretty sure I’ve heard a minister talk about it too. So it can’t be completely pie in the sky.

TheRam

Coach
I raise the issue as I go through Central Station every day on my way to and from work. the land adjoining the rail lines is already heavily developed, especially on the western side with apartment buildings.

Also the Sydney Rail system is designed around the Sydney CBD. You would cut all bar the Eastern Suburbs rail line if you had to close Central completely for even a few weeks to start the construction work. You need room to store things when you are doing construction and there is no real room around Central to put the kind of stuff you would need to keep to hand to do it.

If you know more than me, please enlighten me. However don't just go "oh they did it in city x so it can be done here" as not all cities have a rail system with as many bottlenecks as our system does nor being as centralised to funnel people to one point.

Have you heard of Alfred Park?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Just so you can see what I'm talking about, here is a view of Central Railway Station in Sydney -

Yep. There is plenty of room to offset it further back from the station towards the west where there is more room to put those foundations in. The stuff that would cover the station itself would be more like Federation square. Could even use the old Mortuary Station, bring that back to life as one of the entrances.

Given that plan would be to totally cover all the tracks all the way back to Redfern eventually. It would be the key part of getting people to use the site. And ensure that it's easy for people to get to the game. If you added a roof you would get concerts and the like able to use it as well.

Either way, smarter people than you and I are proposing stuff like this. And it's not like it hasn't been done in Melbourne, and going ahead in Brisbane. I'm sure if we were to canvas this world wide, there would be plenty of other examples of this going ahead successfully.

EDIT: https://www.checkerboardhill.com/2015/01/railway-depots-hong-kong-property-development/

This is how it was done in HK. Damn, you may even get the stadium for free if you allow apartments at the Redfern end of this.

Last edited:
Have you heard of Alfred Park?

Yes, I have. Thought about the shit storm closing it to make it a construction storage zone for a stadium you'd unleash from people who live locally, Clover Moore, the Greens et al? You'd be giving them a big free kick as they'd go on about losing green space in the inner city. I suggest you have some idea of the political fallout when you make suggestions.

I might not like what I'm pointing out, but these are what would need to be addressed.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Yes, I have. Thought about the shit storm closing it to make it a construction storage zone for a stadium you'd unleash from people who live locally, Clover Moore, the Greens et al? You'd be giving them a big free kick as they'd go on about losing green space in the inner city. I suggest you have some idea of the political fallout when you make suggestions.

I might not like what I'm pointing out, but these are what would need to be addressed.

And there isn't an opportunity to make some part of the new structure a green area?

Timbo

Staff member
And there isn't an opportunity to make some part of the new structure a green area?

Doesn't matter. The second you suggest closing that park for what would have to be years to use as the staging yard for the construction site all of the locals would be out in force and baying for blood.

The idea of being returned to greenspace is irrelevant. Just recall when Baird was premier - his original idea was a 60,000 seat stadium adjacent to the SFS at Moore Park so the SFS could still be used whilst it was being built, at which point the current SFS area would be returned to the public and people absolutely lost their f**king minds.

I also see their point - that green space is important to the local residents of that area and they pay their rates. And footy fans wanting a new stadium is not going to sway them one millimeter because a good deal of them probably couldn't find a f**k to give about the new ground.

greenBV4

Bench
Central doesn't look that different to to other examples around the country, Melbourne did it, Brisbane is doing it, and im sure it could be done in Sydney

bo1vmaoimaavywi-jpg.25575

before-federation-sq-jpg.25576

732cdbb5980f6fb54dc525e132a44db4-jpg.25577

and literally every line in Melbourne goes through flinders

45441888944_1f54be41cc_b.jpg

plus I've heard talks of them extending federation square even further along the train lines opening up even more space in the CBD, great idea, even if it does has to effect trains for a while, short term pain for long term gain

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
The government now has its $ billion to spend on schools and hospitals as well with the North West Metro rail line coming in a billion dollars under budget.

siv

First Grade
Have we ever thought about upgrading Refern Oval? I understand it's council property, but I think converting it into a regular multi-purpose stadium would be more useful. It could accommodate Rabbits, lower grades and Sydney FC/Waratahs potentially if SFS/SCG is in use in the future. It is close to various transport hubs additionally. Something like the photo below would be idea (30,000 cap).
View attachment 27639

If this is successful, that means the only competition team playing out of ANZ would be bulldogs. If we could use the ANZ redevelopment funding and redirect it to upgrade Redfern and Belmore Oval (see proposed redevelopment below), we could leave it as only a SOO, Grand Final, Concerts, World Cup venue. Although I would like to see the Grand Final in different locations like the Super Bowl (ANZ, Allianz, Suncorp, MCG/Etihad).
View attachment 27640

I also understand that Souths use Redfern as a training facility. This can be accommodated by building a $30-$60 Million facility around spare grounds in Matraville. Souths already have a great youth program (speaking as a Roosters supporter), so would be a great investment to build a training facility.
View attachment 27641

Roosters as well, on the other hand, deserve a training facility too. Leave the Moore Park public fields open to the public, and further build a facility where they train half of the time - E S Marks Athletics Field in the Moore Park. This upgrade could potentially cost anywhere from $40-90 Million based on the facility. It would only be around 1km South of the SCG/SFS additionally. See the proposed below.
View attachment 27638

This 30k stadium at Redfern was proposed 20 years as was another option in Technology Park

sempmrh

Juniors
Central doesn't look that different to to other examples around the country, Melbourne did it, Brisbane is doing it, and im sure it could be done in Sydney

and literally every line in Melbourne goes through flinders

View attachment 27643

plus I've heard talks of them extending federation square even further along the train lines opening up even more space in the CBD, great idea, even if it does has to effect trains for a while, short term pain for long term gain
Ugh, look at those old Gas and Fuel buildings. Could you imagine if they still existed today? Just hideous. Also, I didn’t realise there was once a road heading down to what’s now Birrarung Marr.

But basically, I’m sure any potential problem that could come from building over the Central Station rail yards can be managed.

Delboy

First Grade
The government now has its $ billion to spend on schools and hospitals as well with the North West Metro rail line coming in a billion dollars under budget.
Have you been past the end of your street, just about every school and hospital has got cranes and building works going on. Add to the fact the class war that the moron is conducting is spending billions more than the $2 billion he keeps mentioning.

Of well. Just retreat back to the days of Carr et al, when NSW was the worst performing state and nothing being built. Sometimes whe these people get what they want, it really will be a sh*t show.

Rooster8

Juniors

If we can't build over it, then I guess the only sensible thing to do is build under it. You know, If you can't go over it, and you can't go through it, then you have to go under it...
g856.png

unforgiven

Bench
Have you been past the end of your street, just about every school and hospital has got cranes and building works going on. Add to the fact the class war that the moron is conducting is spending billions more than the $2 billion he keeps mentioning.

Of well. Just retreat back to the days of Carr et al, when NSW was the worst performing state and nothing being built. Sometimes whe these people get what they want, it really will be a sh*t show.
It was a joke! I was having a dig at all those that say hospital and schools before stadiums.

Latest posts