What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

seanoff

Juniors
Click twice to scroll around the picture.

I would like to be convinced that the sfs replacement needs to be much more than this. Adding 10000 seats and doubling and more the cost seems overkill for 99% of the events held there. Especially if ANZ is to be redeveloped to a rectangle with capacity above 60. Big games are at the bigger ground, finals, Anzac Day, etc. 30000 - 35000 would be way more than enough for the SFS.

unforgiven

Bench
I would like to be convinced that the sfs replacement needs to be much more than this. Adding 10000 seats and doubling and more the cost seems overkill for 99% of the events held there. Especially if ANZ is to be redeveloped to a rectangle with capacity above 60. Big games are at the bigger ground, finals, Anzac Day, etc. 30000 - 35000 would be way more than enough for the SFS.
The only argument I can see for a bigger SFS would be to hold 2 large events simultaneously and to allow for big events in multiple parts of the Sydney area.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Also as a concert venue close to the city so that the economic benefits of the concert spill out into bars and nightclubs.

The SCG is the right size but it’s difficult having concerts there in summer (which is peak concert season) due to the wicket block in the middle of the ground.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

35-40k seems about right to me. Would sit nicely between Bankwest and the revamped ANZ in capacity. Anything over 40k goes to ANZ.
You could simply use the basic design from Bankwest and add 4-5 extra rows to each tier and you’d get to that capacity without the need of completely redesigning the whole thing, and would probably not push the cost up too much further.

seanoff

Juniors
35-40k seems about right to me. Would sit nicely between Bankwest and the revamped ANZ in capacity. Anything over 40k goes to ANZ.
You could simply use the basic design from Bankwest and add 4-5 extra rows to each tier and you’d get to that capacity without the need of completely redesigning the whole thing, and would probably not push the cost up too much further.

This is probably how it should have been. The corporate facilities in a mid level around the ground, the upper tier all the way around and viola a 42000 seat arena.

The upper deck at parra looks like it holds 20000. If you extend it all the way around it would hold 30000. (5k a each end and 10k on the long side.). The bottom deck with a few added rows. Woot. 500m. Done.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
This is probably how it should have been. The corporate facilities in a mid level around the ground, the upper tier all the way around and viola a 42000 seat arena.

The upper deck at parra looks like it holds 20000. If you extend it all the way around it would hold 30000. (5k a each end and 10k on the long side.). The bottom deck with a few added rows. Woot. 500m. Done.

You can add a few thousand by putting an arch in the side roofs so that the centre of the upper tiers extends back a bit further too. This has the dual advantage of providing extra seats where the sight lines are best and adding structural strength to the roof.

Also as a concert venue close to the city so that the economic benefits of the concert spill out into bars and nightclubs.

The SCG is the right size but it’s difficult having concerts there in summer (which is peak concert season) due to the wicket block in the middle of the ground.

Thing is most concerts now go to ANZ, if you’re coming all this way you want to maximise revenue.

Lately there’s been some years where Allianz only hosted one or two concerts.

The big issue is members. There’s 8000 members passes and under the rules they’re allowed entry to every sporting event bar world cups.

So if you make it 30,000 you’re all of a sudden down to 22,000 seats, probably less than 20,000 when you take corporate seats into account.

You either need new rules for members, buy them out or make it 35k-40k to accomodate the current rules.

But you could definitely make the stadium cheaper by cutting out some bells & whistles the trust has no doubt demanded.

unforgiven

Bench
Thing is most concerts now go to ANZ, if you’re coming all this way you want to maximise revenue.

There is an issue of lack of concert venues in the city though. ANZ also has massive sound issues as a legit concert venue.

adamkungl

Immortal

Maybe most concerts go to ANZ because it has modern facilities and enough bars and toilets to actually service more than 10,000 people

Timbo

Staff member

That number will drop to zero if it’s capacity is <40k.

Also if the venue is built with a modular concert design in mind (ie -a flat end, or easily removable seats at one end) then it will encourage more events.

That number will drop to zero if it’s capacity is <40k.

Also if the venue is built with a modular concert design in mind (ie -a flat end, or easily removable seats at one end) then it will encourage more events.

Not sure you can say definitely none. It’s all depend on the size of the act. The question is does a couple of concerts & 2-3 sports events justify an extra $300-350m

Not really, there are only a few artist that can actually fill an 80K stadium when compared to a 40K stadium,

They don’t need to fill 80k, they just need to be able to sell more than Allianz can hold. Even 5000 more increases their revenue significantly.

I had a look over this for 2017 & 2018 in last year, ANZ hosted a lot more concerts. Was about 8 to 2 iirc

unforgiven

Bench
They don’t need to fill 80k, they just need to be able to sell more than Allianz can hold. Even 5000 more increases their revenue significantly.

I had a look over this for 2017 & 2018 in last year, ANZ hosted a lot more concerts. Was about 8 to 2 iirc
Not many can sell more than 40K though, that is my point.