What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Probably the $’s don’t add up. Concert big stadium gigs don’t make much unless you are selling 65k plus tickets. Arenas at 20-25k will often offer a better profit margin than a stadium gig of 30-35k and are better venues for the artists. We used to see a lot of concerts at nib until the arena was built. Now it’s either 65k at optus or 15k at Perth arena. Nib with its 25-30k doesn’t get much anymore.

This is true but I think that is largely due to the massive amount of extra logistics needed for a stadium gig. The entire stage including all the rigging and roof structure needs to be trucked and and constructed on site, which takes a couple few days of round the clock work by a big crew, and then the whole thing has to be torn down and bumped out at the end.
A stadium which was actually designed with a concert mode would reduce a lot of that, especially if it had removable seating at one end with a roof permanently set up for show rigging, PAs etc. so the seating could just be rolled away and a stage constructed in it’s place.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is true but I think that is largely due to the massive amount of extra logistics needed for a stadium gig. The entire stage including all the rigging and roof structure needs to be trucked and and constructed on site, which takes a couple few days of round the clock work by a big crew, and then the whole thing has to be torn down and bumped out at the end.
A stadium which was actually designed with a concert mode would reduce a lot of that, especially if it had removable seating at one end with a roof permanently set up for show rigging, PAs etc. so the seating could just be rolled away and a stage constructed in it’s place.

like the Dunedin stadium? Not saying it wouldn’t work but would be more useful if it was fully roofed but cost would be high and capacity less. Dunedin would actually be a good blueprint with a sliding roof. $224mill in 2009, 30k sport, 36k concert mode fully roofed

TheRam

Coach
like the Dunedin stadium? Not saying it wouldn’t work but would be more useful if it was fully roofed but cost would be high and capacity less. Dunedin would actually be a good blueprint with a sliding roof. $224mill in 2009, 30k sport, 36k concert mode fully roofed

If our(Parra) stadium had a roof it would be the perfect on the cheaper side stadium ever.

Suitman

Post Whore
D1muR3cU4AER-6O.jpg

Suitman

Post Whore
Seriously, that’s a logo and colour scheme they don’t need to be testing until late September. Priorities people. :rolleyes:

Leigh.

Settle pettle.
I'm sure they've tested the Eels, Tigers, Bulldogs and Waratahs logo's as well.
I just posted a pic to show the outside screen.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

I’m not sure of the exact setup of the Dunedin stadium but yeah I know it is basically open at one end. In don’t know if it has much permanent stuff for a convert mode though.
Wouldn’t be keen on a permanently roofed stadium in our climate, retractable is the way to go but it’s obviously expensive.

Jamberoo

Juniors
The annual report show how profitable stadiums are and also it reveals how many international and interstate visitors are attracted to events. The venues produced a 21.8 Mill surplus for Venues NSW.
for 2018.
So if the stadium rebuilds cost $1B, it will take 46 years to break even. Not sure they are all that profitable, or private enterprise would be involved.

beave

Coach
So if the stadium rebuilds cost $1B, it will take 46 years to break even. Not sure they are all that profitable, or private enterprise would be involved.

yeah well there’s some things in life that gov has to suck it up and pay for it with the expectation that it won’t make them money overall.

You think these toff nosed art gallery’s make them cash overall?

At least with decent stadiums it might encourage kids to attend sporting events and look to emulate their heros by leading lead a more active lifestyle and not be a burden on the tax system by not beconibg a couch potato playing playstation all day and turning into a morbidly obese human etc.

morley101

Juniors

21.8 Mill surplus is for the stadiums only ... That does not account for the $ for the local economy at the
Hotels/clubs, restaurants and accommodation. That is why government build these facilities... they get a
10% cut of everything through the GST.
See below as an example.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...g/news-story/db4c853dedff604254eeada80893c044

taipan

Referee
yeah well there’s some things in life that gov has to suck it up and pay for it with the expectation that it won’t make them money overall.

You think these toff nosed art gallery’s make them cash overall?

At least with decent stadiums it might encourage kids to attend sporting events and look to emulate their heros by leading lead a more active lifestyle and not be a burden on the tax system by not beconibg a couch potato playing playstation all day and turning into a morbidly obese human etc.

Yep $225m for an Art Gallery extension, where (80% I'd estimate) of the population would has as much interest in a Renoir or Picasso ,as I would in tap dancing on one foot dodging bullets.
No one questioned this expenditure including me til now.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Not much run off.

eg looks like Darius last night would have hit that flashy signage hard when Vunivalu shoved him.

Anyone know how much run off there is? Might end up with Fergo in your lap.

50 points if you catch the Moses pass meant for him.

Last edited: