What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

VictoryFC

Bench
My God, not another ugly grey freakin Stadium. Colour people, ever here of it? The world isn't grey.

Yeah, it's not ideal. I wonder how the effect of the sun in QLD is being factored into it. Colourful seats when exposed to sun fade relatively quickly.

Rooster8

Juniors
Always wondered if additional stadium sponsors, like wording into seats or pitchside sponsors were worth the extra money received. I know most deals such as kit manufacturers for big premier league sides and main sponsors include the addition of extra advertising around the stadium in the deal, but I wonder for a new stadium in a single town in Australia like the Cowboys or Sharks, would it be worth it? I know Allianz did it for the SFS, and whenever it was empty (a lot of the time, I know since I had a member seat on the 'l'), they would get great illustration on TV. I know the government technically controls a large proportion of the ownership, but surely they could received a few extra million for 'Toyota' or similar on the seats. I know we here wouldn't like it, but for most organisations (and governments), money is key. And i know we use those banners which cover whole bay's with sponsors like Titans and Dogs use, but I was just curious about this.
ddf7c768bf7423ccc501f620115ea0d6.jpg

DqxEth3WwAIItoU.jpg

images

Quidgybo

Bench
Hopefully its speckled like the current seats in NQ, it doesnt look so bad empty then.
Say what you will about grey being boring, but another area where BankWest seems to have got it spot on is the effect of the seating pattern on making the stadium look full. When full, most stadiums look dark - spectators wearing black, dark blue or maroon. This is especially true in winter with spectators wearing overcoats. With the darker grey seats in the lower bowl blending into a lighter grey in the higher rows, BankWest always looks half to two thirds full regardless of the crowd size. It’s highly effective when seen on television in a way that doesn’t undermine the spectacle, unlike the sea of blues at Alliance, ANZ and Cbus.

Again my instructions would be to point at BankWest and say “just build me another one of those, don’t change a thing (not even the seat colours).”

Leigh.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Say what you will about grey being boring, but another area where BankWest seems to have got it spot on is the effect of the seating pattern on making the stadium look full. When full, most stadiums look dark - spectators wearing black, dark blue or maroon. This is especially true in winter with spectators wearing overcoats. With the darker grey seats in the lower bowl blending into a lighter grey in the higher rows, BankWest always looks half to two thirds full regardless of the crowd size. It’s highly effective when seen on television in a way that doesn’t undermine the spectacle, unlike the sea of blues at Alliance, ANZ and Cbus.

Again my instructions would be to point at BankWest and say “just build me another one of those, don’t change a thing (not even the seat colours).”

Leigh.

I actually dislike black as a seating colour

Makes the stadium look empty when fans who wear black attend

Quidgybo

Bench
The one thing I would change is the ground length. I’ve always loved how close the end fences are at Leichhardt Oval. The crowd is right on the dead ball line with just enough runoff space to not be dangerous, unlike the English grounds. Perfect with the modern 8 metre in-goals (probably would be welcomed by the soccer folks too).

Leigh.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking at the aerial shots of Leichardt on Sunday is it going to be possible to build a new main stand on the hill side? Seems hemmed in by housing? The new man at the top seems convinced developing suburban grounds is the way to go, wondering what the feasibility is at a place like Balmain? Looking at the long ques to get into the place it obviously needs some massive upgrades to get it anything like a modern stadium.

Would Wests be better off moving to Bankwest and using Leichardt twice on guaranteed Sunday afternoons against another local side and Campbeltown once, if at all?

taipan

Referee
Looking at the aerial shots of Leichardt on Sunday is it going to be possible to build a new main stand on the hill side? Seems hemmed in by housing? The new man at the top seems convinced developing suburban grounds is the way to go, wondering what the feasibility is at a place like Balmain? Looking at the long ques to get into the place it obviously needs some massive upgrades to get it anything like a modern stadium.

Would Wests be better off moving to Bankwest and using Leichardt twice on guaranteed Sunday afternoons against another local side and Campbeltown once, if at all?

That's been an idea suggested by some within the game.2-3 games at Leichhardt Sunday arvo,the rest spread at 2 other stadiums.

grozzy

Juniors
It's hard to see what they could do with the hill. A new stand would require the removal of alot of trees at the back, and capacity would be reduced even further.

horrie hastings

First Grade

The only upgrade they could do at Leichhardt is upgrade or rebuild the Grandstand on the western side and possibly do something at the northern end of the ground. The hill on the Eastern side has housing right behind it so no possibility of a grandstand being built there and thank goodness because it is still nice to have a hill at some grounds. The old grandstand at the southern end of the ground I think has some heritage listing on it , I think one was demolished because of termite damage but even so there is really no space for work at the southern end either so basically the only real potential area for redevelopment is re do the Western Grandstand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It will probably be the Gabba - puke!

That would be the obvious place to upgrade. Seems a bit of a pipe dream holding it in Qland but I hear other countries are increasingly being put off by the cost of hosting an Olympics these days.

Best NRL could hope for would be a new rectangular stadium of around 25k in Redcliffe or Ipswich to host Olympic soccer games and RU 7's. Though with 3 rectangular stadiums not sure if they would need another one?

Omott91

Juniors
That would be the obvious place to upgrade. Seems a bit of a pipe dream holding it in Qland but I hear other countries are increasingly being put off by the cost of hosting an Olympics these days.

Best NRL could hope for would be a new rectangular stadium of around 25k in Redcliffe or Ipswich to host Olympic soccer games and RU 7's. Though with 3 rectangular stadiums not sure if they would need another one?
The Gabba is already too squeezed into its surroundings as it is without adding on to it. My guessed is if it were to happen it would be built as a circular 80k stadium from scratch. After the olympics, it will be reduced to 60k so for afl and cricket use now that the Gabba is the worst of the 5 major cricket stadiums. Hope I'm wrong.