What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

T-Boon

Coach
Each team over there has millions of people as their catchment and are the only show in town, not having to share support with 60 other clubs. It's embarrassing that people still compare America and Australia when it comes to sport.

Our sports should be compared to sport at a state level like Texas, Ohio, Florida which have similar populations to the east coast of Australia. Each of those state has about 8 big time football teams when you factor in NFL and college.

T-Boon

Coach
Were I building any future club stadium I’d be pointing at BankWest and saying “give me one of those, don’t change a damn thing”.

Leigh.

It is a great stadium, I have been there now 4 times. Only thing I would change is as has been suggested by others, The first row should be higher - looking down on the field. As is the first row is almost at ground level.

The Marshall

Juniors
So the Sharks have to play away from the Shire for 2 years whilst the leagues club gets rebuilt? Has there been any renderings of what the new leagues club and subsequent eastern side of the football ground is going to look like? i have had a quick look on the net and it only seems to focus on the housing development and that the leagues club will be upgraded. IMO the western side needs a tart up as well, extend that doublet tiered grandstand to each try line would be a start.
There's been a few sketches floating around and there's some minor additions to the ground but with the new structures either side of the ground it looks like they will never be able upgrade the Peter Burns or ET stands after its all finished.

There's some drawings on page 27-30 in these documents.
https://majorprojects.planningporta...chRef=MP10_0230-MOD-6!20190605T041654.113 GMT

Last edited:

Rooster8

Juniors
Just had a look through that Shark's redevelopment plan. Interesting that they are building a new changing room, with the existing being marked as 'Change Room, Amenities and Player Comfort". Could this mean that the existing space is potentially going to be transformed into a Home players changing room and players lounge, sort of NFL style, with the new changing room being for away teams? Or is the more realistic explanation that there will be 3+ changing rooms for the ground? Capture.PNG

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
We are told after the development the ground will be capable of hosting home semi-finals.

Not sure exactly what that means, but we cannot use the current config, not enough seats and corporate facilitices.

beave

Coach
replicating the western stand at WIN in wollongong but with both teams changing facilities would be awesome. Not sure if the footprint of the building would fit there though.

thorson1987

Coach
The biggest football code in the world is the NFL. You seen the drip lines on their stadiums??........

Nice drip line at Lambeau

613fdf93d7d19ef0761cbe92ca776b1e.jpg

And Ralph Wilson

http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2Fd55af3310e37b399bb425b2d01f18db8%2F201116289%2FScreen%2BShot%2B2014-11-19%2Bat%2B3.39.35%2BPM.png

Although they went a bit overboard at AT&T (f**k I hate watching our afternoon games when the sun is shining directly through that end of the stadium)

att16_top.jpg

Quidgybo

Bench
When I was living in the States (a decade split between San Francisco and Dallas) I went to a Sunday arvo game at Lambeau during the first week of December. Snowed throughout and bitterly cold (about 10°F/-12°C) but a wonderful experience for a lad who grew up in tropical North Queensland. I’d do it again but only as a once off. Sitting still for three hours in those conditions is just too painful physically to do multiple weeks late in an NFL season.

The next night we went to a Monday night game in Chicago. No snow but it was even colder (7°F/-14°C before wind chill) with a strong wind blowing off the lake (in the Windy City - who would’ve thought). I gave up after three quarters and retreated to the only heated part of the stadium open to the public - the toilets. Just me and my five hundred or so closest friends loitering in the space between the stalls and urinals. Stayed there most of the fourth quarter, not caring a bit for the game. Too cold. I’m never going to Chicago in winter again.

Leigh.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
When I was living in the States (a decade split between San Francisco and Dallas) I went to a Sunday arvo game at Lambeau during the first week of December. Snowed throughout and bitterly cold (about 10°F/-12°C) but a wonderful experience for a lad who grew up in tropical North Queensland. I’d do it again but only as a once off. Sitting still for three hours in those conditions is just too painful physically to do multiple weeks late in an NFL season.

The next night we went to a Monday night game in Chicago. No snow but it was even colder (7°F/-14°C before wind chill) with a strong wind blowing off the lake (in the Windy City - who would’ve thought). I gave up after three quarters and retreated to the only heated part of the stadium open to the public - the toilets. Just me and my five hundred or so closest friends loitering in the space between the stalls and urinals. Stayed there most of the fourth quarter, not caring a bit for the game. Too cold. I’m never going to Chicago in winter again.

Leigh.

It really is insane how they still manage to sell out 70,000 seat stadiums in the US with no cover in -15 and below weather. Even if the team is sucking, they still turn up.

The story of the 1967 NFL Championship game - AKA ‘The Ice Bowl’ - is one that blows my mind. Really worth a read if you’ve not heard of it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_NFL_Championship_Game

Quidgybo

Bench
It really is insane how they still manage to sell out 70,000 seat stadiums in the US with no cover in -15 and below weather. Even if the team is sucking, they still turn up.
Largely yes, but it should be noted that the NFL have a very good, centralised, official ticket re-sale program for season ticket holders. So while all games are largely sold out for the full year and big games between traditional rivals are pretty much impossible to get a good seat, for lower billed games it’s actually pretty simple to get a good seat because plenty of season ticket holders choose not to go to all games. Why did I go and sit outside in Green Bay and Chicago for 3-4 hours during the first week of December? Because they were games I could get excellent (Lambeau Field on halfway) and OKish seats (Soldier Field in end zone corner but only half a dozen rows back) on consecutive days at face value via the NFL Ticket Exchange.

Leigh.

Last edited: