What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

If Leichardt is getting love and they only play a handful of games there then Shark Park needs to get some love.

To be upgrading Kogarah with the Dragons only committing a handful of games there and the Sharks not committing is ridiculous. Hopefully it's the last stadium to be done and they come to their senses by then. At the pace they're going in about 15 years time.

Difference is both Leichhardt Oval and Kogarah are owned by their respective local councils. Shark Park is privately owned and pretty much only used by the Cronulla Sharks. Why should any government moneys be spent on a facility that is privately owned? I for one am tired of private companies or individuals gaining a handout which increases the net worth of those companies or individuals' assets.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I'm conflicted over Kogarah. It isn't a bad ground especially on the western side. That's a nice big grandstand. But the Dragons really should be focussing on Wollongong meaning Kogarah is a bit expendable unless an A-League team takes it up as a long term home.

MugaB

Coach
If Leichardt is getting love and they only play a handful of games there then Shark Park needs to get some love.

To be upgrading Kogarah with the Dragons only committing a handful of games there and the Sharks not committing is ridiculous. Hopefully it's the last stadium to be done and they come to their senses by then. At the pace they're going in about 15 years time.
The order i mentioned with the stadiums is the order they are doing them, by 2030 i think they should all be complete apparently, Manly first, Kogarah, Liverpool then Penrith, I'm not sure when or whats doing regarding Leichardt anymore, but it was mentioned last year, just not part of these 4 areas, and yes, shark park is the only privately owned stadium in the NRL, (so the government wouldn't be involved) unless the Brisbane based Dolphins get admission, then there will be two NRL teams who own stadiums, unless thats also council owned (i cant remember if they owned theirs or not) but being only a training ground and only the odd exhibition game, makes it useful but not nessesary, as Suncorp will be their main home ground.
Not sure why most local suburban teams don't try to own their own stadium, could be an asset, and help the clubs build mula, instead of paying rent

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure why most local suburban teams don't try to own their own stadium, could be an asset, and help the clubs build mula, instead of paying rent

Purchase and Maintenance costs, and depreciation, are often greater than paying rent, so unless the stadium is able to generate additional revenue it doesn’t make financial sense to own one these days.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
I don’t hate the idea of an 18,000 seat stadium somewhere in the southwest.

I think if Wests and Canterbury shared it for most of their home games, and played derby’s at BankWest, it could be a cracker.

I don’t see this as a lack of initiative on the part of rugby league. We’re never going to get NFL or AFL sized crowds, and I think we need to accept that’s fine. There’s nothing wrong with a 15,000 or so average in a sport that’s made for TV in a country with our population.

And, I don’t care what the most one eyed league fan thinks, we are a millennia away from 40,000 people showing up to watch Wests vs Gold Coast on a Saturday night.

That is only true of Sydney and is an argument for relocation rather than upgraded stadiums.
Newcastle could concievably get 30k crowds if the stadium was a bit bigger. So lets spend the money there rather than on making stadiums that are already capable of holding the 15k Sydney crowds a little bit more comfortable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nrl isnt aiming for 60k crowds, it should be aiming for 20-25k. That should be achievable for most clubs if the game is popular and run well. You need 25-30k stadiums to achieve that.

T-Boon

Coach
Nrl isnt aiming for 60k crowds, it should be aiming for 20-25k. That should be achievable for most clubs if the game is popular and run well. You need 25-30k stadiums to achieve that.

Newcastle and Parra should be aiming to join Broncos at 30k.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Difference is both Leichhardt Oval and Kogarah are owned by their respective local councils. Shark Park is privately owned and pretty much only used by the Cronulla Sharks. Why should any government moneys be spent on a facility that is privately owned? I for one am tired of private companies or individuals gaining a handout which increases the net worth of those companies or individuals' assets.

Cool

siv

First Grade

Ignoring running cists

There is nowhere in the city that could be bought to build a stadium and its car park these days, unless you head out to fringe of the city. All open space or sporting fields are council owned these days

There should never be a new stadium built with such a restricted capacity as 17 or 18K in the home city of our sport
as someone said we aren't looking for 60K crowds & will never get them
we should be aiming for 20K crowds regularly attending games & for the numb 1 sport in a city of 6 million plus by 2030 thats absolutely achievable,
to do that we need grounds that comfortably fit that many. Comfortably.

If 2 sydney sides playing each other with combined membership of 50K or more can't get a crowd of 20K between them , then there is something wrong.

siv

First Grade
Only way to get 20k average us to build 25k to 30k venues

Just look at the recent averages at Penrith

Timbo

Staff member
I keep hearing ‘we should be averaging 20k’

No one has ever adequately described to me why they think we should be averaging 20k.

Yes, crowds were on the up in the late 90s. But do you know what else the late 90s had? 51cm TVs with analog SD signal.

Add to that, Sydney just doesn’t have a ‘go to the game’ culture like Melbourne or Brisbane.

There are now significantly more fans who would rather sit in their warm living room watching their 70 inch 4K TV than go to the game. All the bells and whistles in the world at a stadium won’t change that.

MugaB

Coach

No one has ever adequately described to me why they think we should be averaging 20k.

Yes, crowds were on the up in the late 90s. But do you know what else the late 90s had? 51cm TVs with analog SD signal.

Add to that, Sydney just doesn’t have a ‘go to the game’ culture like Melbourne or Brisbane.

There are now significantly more fans who would rather sit in their warm living room watching their 70 inch 4K TV than go to the game. All the bells and whistles in the world at a stadium won’t change that.
but Stadium Australia has two 27m x 10m screens at either end.
Thats bigger than my tv.... just

TheRam

Coach
There should never be a new stadium built with such a restricted capacity as 17 or 18K in the home city of our sport
as someone said we aren't looking for 60K crowds & will never get them
we should be aiming for 20K crowds regularly attending games & for the numb 1 sport in a city of 6 million plus by 2030 thats absolutely achievable,
to do that we need grounds that comfortably fit that many. Comfortably.

If 2 sydney sides playing each other with combined membership of 50K or more can't get a crowd of 20K between them , then there is something wrong.

Now you get it. There has been something wrong since Super League and we have never recovered since. It is only getting worse, while AFL is going from strength to strength.

Will V'Landys have the strength and will to put the clubs on notice or will he just let them continue down this selfish and destructive path?

My money is on the latter and AFL will eventually be NSW and QLD's favorite sport. Should happen around 2050-60.

TheRam

Coach

And yet the ratings between the NRL and AFL are very similar in any given year. Some years they're ahead then other years we are ahead. So much for RL being a TV game and AFL being a, at the ground better game.

They blow us away when you think of it that way don't they? And if it wasn't for SOO they would be trouncing us most years. We are slowly fading and no one at head office has stood up to address this yet, other then lip service. And you fans are just in denial.

The AFL has landed and is squatting its big fat arse all over us and taking a mighty huge dump and all all the stake holders, including most fans, are doing is opening their gummy mouths, trying to make some noise, but swallowing all of it none the less.

In the short-to-medium-term, Kogarah Oval won't be going anywhere. Sure, it's not the best ground for many food outlets, but for its size, its "good enough". For the time being, its the best ground for the "substitute" teams, while their stadiums are being built (Sydney FC for the SFS, and the Sharks for Shark Park), without going to Bankwest. And the W-League Grand Final will be played at Kogarah this Sunday. Bankwest may be too big of a ground for this game.

Latest posts