What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Dogs and tigers low attendances are also because they aren't making finals, struggling on field has a lot to do with it, dare say leichardt gets jam packed but only 3 times a year, as long as its a reasonable timeslot. Can't day the same about the roosters even when they are competitive

Doesn't matter how many times the Tigers get Leichhardt Oval jammed pack in a year, its well known and been stated by various administrations of the Tigers that they all but lose money playing there. Leichhardt Oval has zilch in terms of corporate faciulities, and corporates won't pay big bucks to sit in narrow seated aisles, with an esky next to them and some half warm meat pies in a warmer.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
800mil to spend.

Penrith’s getting 300mil for a new 25k stadium
Manly’s getting 200mil to complete 20k stadium
Homebush’s getting 120mil for roof.

Still close to 200mil left over to divvy out between Leichhardt and Shark Park.

If it was up to me Homebush wouldn’t get anything other than a 1.2bil rebuild and Tigers would be told to f*** off but here we are.

Can’t see Tigers or Sharks getting more than 50-100mil each. Just doesn’t look possible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
800mil to spend.

If it was up to me Homebush wouldn’t get anything other than a 1.2bil rebuild and Tigers would be told to f*** off but here we are.

Can’t see Tigers or Sharks getting more than 50-100mil each. Just doesn’t look possible.
I’m not sure what they can do with shark park given it’s hemmed in with buildings. There’s really only the hill to convert into a stand, pretty limited what else you can do in terms of adding more seats under cover at either side.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
I’m not sure what they can do with shark park given it’s hemmed in with buildings. There’s really only the hill to convert into a stand, pretty limited what else you can do in terms of adding more seats under cover at either side.
That’s my point.

Same thing with Tigers.

It just feels like the government is chucking around the remaining cash that otherwise would have went to Kogarah before it’s study torpedoed it.

I’d love all of the cash to be pooled together to put an Allegiant Stadium-esque ground in Penrith but that’s never happening in a million years. A 25k Commbank will be great though and if it isn’t hindered in any way by other grounds getting funded then I’m fine. If it was though that would be another’s indictment on the state libs’ capacity to make rational decisions.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Parra stadium should have never been rebuilt. Should have been done at Olympic park. That’s where the metro west is gonna have a stop at which goes right through Parra, the areas surrounding Leichardt and services much of the Bulldogs and Souths fans that live through out the centre of Sydney but nooooo. The eels and a poor dying soccer club that regularly lies about their 5k crowds and pretends it’s close to 20k would had to have travelled five minutes east. Now we’re gonna spend another 400mil because surprise surprise two of the clubs that would have other been satisfied hate Parramatta and going there and would rather Liverpool. This is all money that could have been used sooner actually having a spread of stadiums that recognises that Sydney isn’t just the harbour bridge and some areas 30 minutes west of it and also having a national rectangular 80k stadium with a retractable roof.

This stadiums plan is an unmitigated expensive disaster.
Tbf as much as I detest the Western Sydney Wanderers with every fibre of my being they gave the Eels no choice but to push for a new stadium.

Prior to the infamous shame file written by the late alcoholic journo Rebecca Wilson which pretty much carpet bombed the A-League's supporter base, the Wanderers had outgrown the old Parramatta Stadium and had more members than the entire capacity of that ground.

Poor on field results during redevelopment and the perceived lack of support from the FFA, Australian football's governing body for their club's maligned supporters pretty much permanently turned off a lot of people.

Last edited:

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Technically they could get rid of that small grass hill in front of the Monty Porter Stand and the one between the Porter Stand and the ET Stand and connect the two stands together which would jack up the capacity to 26-27K and of course remove the hill at the northern end build a stand that connects with the ET Stand and presto there's that 30K stand you keep jacking off about.

siv

First Grade
Doesn't matter how many times the Tigers get Leichhardt Oval jammed pack in a year, its well known and been stated by various administrations of the Tigers that they all but lose money playing there. Leichhardt Oval has zilch in terms of corporate facilities, and corporates won't pay big bucks to sit in narrow seated aisles, with an esky next to them and some half warm meat pies in a warmer.
Closure of the light rail won't help either

Tiger Shark

Bench
I literally put up a picture of what they could do and are looking to do.
Ignoring that they could knock down and do the ET stand all the way along with facilities behind.
Maybe don’t comment on stadiums you have no idea about

Tiger Shark

Bench
800mil to spend.

Why not?

If Manly and Penriff are getting new stadiums why can’t others get good chunks of money?

Ok you can argue LO will only play a few games a year so maybe they don’t get a heap, also why Kogarah was never going to be a good idea, but if you play full time why not.

Im all for every team getting upgraded facilities it’s better for the game as a whole.

Croz Au

Juniors
can do quite a bit.
COE would add abit on southern side and ET side, could upgrade and extend ET. Could also upgrade Peter burns stand. Though full upgrade would probably cost well into $200 million

T-Boon

Coach
I don't think Penrith and Manly should or will get any upgrades.
The money needs to be spent at ANZ and Hunter stadium.

Keep in mind Hunter stadium will have 4 teams playing out of it soon and 2 of them will be women's teams. It gets the biggest women's sports crowds in NSW. It certainly should be a 40k stadium capable of attracting internationals.

The crazy thing about spending on Brookvale is if something happened to Manly (like they move or fold) would a game of sport ever get played at Brookvale again? There is no other tenant or likely tenant or any desire to play big international type games there.

Same goes for Shark park and to a lesser extent Panther Park.

Last edited:

Croz Au

Juniors

Keep in mind Hunter stadium will have 4 teams playing out of it soon and 2 of them will be women's teams. It gets the biggest women's sports crowds in NSW. It certainly should be a 40k stadium capable of attracting internationals.

The crazy thing about spending on Brookvale is if something happened to Manly (like they move or fold) would a game of sport ever get played at Brookvale again? There is no other tenant or likely tenant or any desire to play big international type games there.

There been international sport played out of shark park. Only a few yrs back, shark park hosted the women’s World Cup for majority of games

Jamberoo

Juniors
Bold move from the NRL and NSW govt going against the worldwide trend of building new, centrally located stadiums. I like it. As long as any upgrades offer facilities, lighting, technology, etc to match the SFS/SCG match day experience, it should be a winner. It is not all about capacity. The NRL was becoming too much like the AFL anyway. I look forward to coming to Sydney and going to a local stadium with a genuine home ground/crowd advantage. Not a soulless ANZ/MCG.

Tiger Shark

Bench

Penrith, Manly, Cronulla and Leichhardt etc should and will get money before Hunter will.

Not saying it shouldn’t but it’s far from a priority compared to the others.

It’s not just about capacity it’s about making as many stadiums as enjoyable and able to meet needs like womens changerooms , corporate facilities etc.

jim_57

Staff member
Bold move from the NRL and NSW govt going against the worldwide trend of building new, centrally located stadiums. I like it. As long as any upgrades offer facilities, lighting, technology, etc to match the SFS/SCG match day experience, it should be a winner. It is not all about capacity. The NRL was becoming too much like the AFL anyway. I look forward to coming to Sydney and going to a local stadium with a genuine home ground/crowd advantage. Not a soulless ANZ/MCG.

Must admit I’ve come around to the idea mostly. It works for Sydney as it seems like a harder city to get around than Melbourne from my limited experience and what I’ve read on here. If Penrith, Brookvale & Shark Park get done it only really leaves Tigers, Bulldogs & Dragons. Tigers upgraded Campbelltown, Bulldogs new stadium Liverpool and Dragons upgraded WIN would be ideal in the next 10-15 years.

In saying that ANZ should definitely be remodeled sooner or later to a rectangular 70-80k stadium for big sporting events & concerts. If they put a roof on it as is that may squash that idea though which would be a terrible move and hopefully the NRL try their best to block it. Better to aim for a rebuild later down the line once the other stadiums are sorted out.

MugaB

Coach
Penrith, Manly, Cronulla and Leichhardt etc should and will get money before Hunter will.

Not saying it shouldn’t but it’s far from a priority compared to the others.

It’s not just about capacity it’s about making as many stadiums as enjoyable and able to meet needs like womens changerooms , corporate facilities etc.
Having the new airport about 20km east of penrith stadium is a no brainer for the upgrade there, since there won't be a Liverpool stadium in the works, there won't be another stadium nearby as campbelltown is 35kms south and parramatta is 35kms north of it, penrith is by far the closest, and if the goal is to prepare for the next few decades of population growth out west then yes its a no brainer...
As for Manly Im on the fence on that one, i really feel that if manly are to grow beyond their northern beaches borders, whatever stadium upgrades or new stadium build needs to be moved west of brookvale, as ive mentioned before around Chatswood/Gordon area, But at the moment it feel lipstick on pig event...
Leichardt and Kogarah need something, but I'd much prefer Campbelltown and WIN get the funds to really upgrade those two areas for the respective clubs should be there for minimum 9 games each

The_Frog

First Grade
Why not?

If Manly and Penriff are getting new stadiums why can’t others get good chunks of money?

Ok you can argue LO will only play a few games a year so maybe they don’t get a heap, also why Kogarah was never going to be a good idea, but if you play full time why not.

Im all for every team getting upgraded facilities it’s better for the game as a whole.
Really, the users should be paying for it, but at around 4% depreciation per year (based on the original cost not the depreciated value) and upkeep and interest on top of that, nice new stadiums for all comes under the unaffordable category. It does justify charging an arm and a leg for entry in the early years when demand is highest, though.