What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The Great Dane

First Grade
This argument about building on sand is funny.

Put simply not all sand is equal. Building on compact sand is relatively easy, on the other hand building on loose sand can be much more difficult. It's still doable, but it can be very expensive.

Adding water into that equation makes things even more expensive generally speaking, but again not all water is equal, and standing water, running water, tidal water, etc, all have different impacts that are/can be dealt with differently.

So jumping to the conclusion, in theory it's almost certainly possible to build an eastern grandstand at Win Stadium, it's probably just prohibitively expensive.

I imagine that there're probably also concerns about the impact a grandstand would have on the beach, and I can imagine the Nimbys coming out in force if the grandstand encroached onto the beach too much.

T-Boon

Coach
Isnt there some place better in Wollongong for a stadium?
Looking at google maps Beaton Park looks a better location.
Move a team down there. eg: Wollongong Sharks
Build a 30k stadium at beaton park.

Last edited:
This argument about building on sand is funny.

Put simply not all sand is equal. Building on compact sand is relatively easy, on the other hand building on loose sand can be much more difficult. It's still doable, but it can be very expensive.

Adding water into that equation makes things even more expensive generally speaking, but again not all water is equal, and standing water, running water, tidal water, etc, all have different impacts that are/can be dealt with differently.

So jumping to the conclusion, in theory it's almost certainly possible to build an eastern grandstand at Win Stadium, it's probably just prohibitively expensive.

I imagine that there're probably also concerns about the impact a grandstand would have on the beach, and I can imagine the Nimbys coming out in force if the grandstand encroached onto the beach too much.
happy to concede that the above should be the last word /s on wether or even if its possible for an eastern grandstand at WIN

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
nice pics
they mean nothing , its not the sand either , do you understand beach tides & tidal surges
obviously not.

theres a reason why theres been no stand built on that eastern side in 40 years but stands have been built everywhere else at that venue , guess why that is
anyway ,
when we're both ready to breath our last ( later rather then sooner lol ) & theres still no eastern grandstand at WIN, I guess you'll work it out then.
I've said it before, you are not an engineer. Just because it hasn't been built doesn't mean its not possible. Building an eastern stand at Wollongong would not be a difficult process.
Stop posting on things you know nothing about.

I've said it before, you are not an engineer. Just because it hasn't been built doesn't mean its not possible. Building an eastern stand at Wollongong would not be a difficult process.
Stop posting on things you know nothing about.
Are you an engineer Sam ?
I'd doubt you are , If it was an easy process it would have happened by now , it hasn't because it isn't

As I said with Dane's post & what he said is a good balanced view
it may not be impossible to do it , but it may be very expensive to because of a number of factors. Lets leave it at that

ash the bash

Juniors
Wonder where SCG Members are allocated?

Top deck as today

Or middle deck
I can pretty much confirm it will be on the middle deck western side. Just spoke to a mate who is a long time member.

Bottom tier = All general public
middle tier = SCG members on western side, corporate on east and public on corners and ends.
Top tier = Public

Let's assume top tier has a capacity of 14,000 on both sides. You take that out from a normal club game you are left with a 31,000 capacity stadium using just the bottom 2 tiers assuming the capacity of ground is 45,000.

Taking out corporate and SCG members you are likely left with a general public allocation of 22,000 - 24,000 tickets. Perfect size for club NRL games with the option of opening a side of top tier if required.

T-Boon

Coach
Why do SCG members get tickets and I don’t when I paid for it?
They really need to do away with that SCG membership elitism. NRL should charge SCG members double.

ash the bash

Juniors
Well for a start its not the NRL's stadium and the trust would raise revenue through these memberships. For anyone that has a bit of coin, it will be great value. Seats on middle tier with your private members bar.

One positive compared to Commbank stadium is that there will be public seating on the western grandstand bottom tier.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Isnt there some place better in Wollongong for a stadium?
Looking at google maps Beaton Park looks a better location.
Move a team down there. eg: Wollongong Sharks
Build a 30k stadium at beaton park.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again that the sharks, dragons and steelers should have all merged to form a behemoth called the St Illawarra sharks.

This also would have left 2 places available for expansion sides in Perth, NZ, Adelaide and Brisbane etc.

T-Boon

Coach
Well for a start its not the NRL's stadium and the trust would raise revenue through these memberships. For anyone that has a bit of coin, it will be great value. Seats on middle tier with your private members bar.

One positive compared to Commbank stadium is that there will be public seating on the western grandstand bottom tier.

the NRL club that pays rent has proprietorial rights. They should be allowed to say who comes or does not come to the games.

Suitman

Post Whore
Are you an engineer Sam ?
I'd doubt you are , If it was an easy process it would have happened by now , it hasn't because it isn't

Really?
Maybe it hasn't happened because other funds have been spent on on the western side grandstand. Or northern side. Or southern side. Or on other stuff like the training ground. Or maybe funds just weren't available. Just like they haven't been for Brooky, or Kogarah or Penrith etc...
Why hasn't an eastern stand been built at Brookvale, or Kogarah? Is that because of sand as well? Or just lack of funds?
It's clearly been proven a multitude of times it is possible to build on the eastern side of WIN Stadium, and it's clearly obvious that you continually ignore the proof that it's possible to do so, which is presented to you, by you continually refusing to reply to the posts proving that your claims are wrong.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
Really?
Maybe it hasn't happened because other funds have been spent on on the western side grandstand. Or northern side. Or southern side. Or on other stuff like the training ground. Or maybe funds just weren't available. Just like they haven't been for Brooky, or Kogarah or Penrith etc...
Why hasn't an eastern stand been built at Brookvale, or Kogarah? Is that because of sand as well? Or just lack of funds?
It's clearly been proven a multitude of times it is possible to build on the eastern side of WIN Stadium, and it's clearly obvious that you continually ignore the proof that it's possible to do so, which is presented to you, by you continually refusing to reply to the posts proving that your claims are wrong.

Just ignore him Suitman. He constantly ignores facts which are presented to him; so you’re wasting your time responding to him.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Two bigger barriers than the sand and the eastern grandstand. Goons only play 6 games a year there. In effect they've f**ked themselves over by merging as far as significant upgrades to either of their stadiums. Also the land value of the Wollongong site may be an issue moving forward.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again that the sharks, dragons and steelers should have all merged to form a behemoth called the St Illawarra sharks.

This also would have left 2 places available for expansion sides in Perth, NZ, Adelaide and Brisbane etc.
Nah f**k that....the Dragons bring sweet f a to the table. Wouldn't want to be associated with that basket case.

Really?
what proof , pretty pics on the sand of other constructions that are nothing like the hill /beach @ WIN stadium lol , the only proof I need is its been 40 years & every other side of that ground has had a stand built except the eastern. If it was a walk in the park like some unqualified clowns in here seem to think it is

it would have happened.

Just ignore him Suitman. He constantly ignores facts which are presented to him; so you’re wasting your time responding to him.
oh here is our resident RL can never do anything right troll. When you present a fact .. not a biased anti RL opinion
I'll have a look at it 😎

TheRam

Coach
Sorry but this is not "boxing" and there is no need for the Roosters to generate any hype for a stadium they may get to use once in 2022. To borroiw a line "with no bucks, there is no buck rogers" and when you consider the financial problems all NRL clubs have had due to COVID, hyping a stadium that they may not get to exploit in 2022 for any great period would be completely stupid. NRL clubs don't have hundreds of employees to start with, so they have to put its resources where it is financially wise.

Only people/entities struggling for relevancy (e.g. GWS Giants) do the sort of crap you are suggesting. Also Mundine is about as relevant to this conversation as Joe Biden is - not at all.

You're so spot on mate. That's why McDonald's doesn't promote or advertise either. Who needs it if you rule the roost? Only losers and wannabes waste their resources, time and money on unnecessary crap when you're on top. Winners are grinners, count their cash and have oodles of time to masturbate in their specially built golden masturbatorium. In fact @Captain Apollo they are waiting for you there right now. The other chicken chokers said they won't start without you. But as you can imagine they are desperate to start, so please hurry. They can't hold it for to much longer. The "I have no clue, with a wankers gene rising" is so freakin strong in this group that they may just explode, even before they start, without you.